First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
see that's good to know, I drive to work 35 miles one way and the majority of that is on the freeway going 65mph
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Passive regeneration on this Gen 3 engine only happens if DPF temperature is 650F or higher. From my experience, the only time I see temps go that high is if I'm on the interstate at 65 MPH or greater, or if I'm towing. It won't happen in town, and it won't happen on a typical 55 MPH highway.
I totally agree. I've purposely driven a longish, sustained, high-speed route and I can't get the soot gauge to drop more than a percentage point here and there. You'll certainly not see any action as quick as the active regen clears out the soot build-up.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I used a TrailDash2 in the old JK. I am a fan of that style. I'm starting to look around and see what else is out there besides the ScanGauge. any sugestions?
There is an option from Banks. Its prettier but 3x the cost, IIRC. The Banks units can be daisy chained so you can run several of them to display even more information if you've got the desire.

I totally agree. I've purposely driven a longish, sustained, high-speed route and I can't get the soot gauge to drop more than a percentage point here and there. You'll certainly not see any action as quick as the active regen clears out the soot build-up.
I don't drive much with COVID and even less on the highway so I haven't had a lot of highway experience but the couple times I've been on the highway soot levels have been over 60% and I'd see it tick down 1% ever few miles. On a 30 mile run at 75 the soot level would drop ~10%.

I'm anxious to get a 100+ mile run to see how it behaves but I have no place to go. :(

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I use an FBC (Fuel Borne Catalyst), and I can see passive regeneration at 55-60. 37's might also offset the heat load produced. Regenerations are usually 7-9 minutes. Even in town.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I use an FBC (Fuel Borne Catalyst), and I can see passive regeneration at 55-60. 37's might also offset the heat load produced. Regenerations are usually 7-9 minutes. Even in town.
Roy, is there a particular brand/type of FBC that you recommend?

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Roy, is there a particular brand/type of FBC that you recommend?
This FBC is the only one I've used. I know there are a few around though. One of the guys on Powerstroke.org was talking it up pretty good, so I tried it out. I would imagine they are all very similar.

Before I used this stuff IIRC the regens took 15 minutes, so it cut them in half. I'm not sure how worth it to people that would be. IMO if you predominantly drive in town the FBC would benefit you more than someone who has a half an hour commute on the highway every day. I wouldn't say FBC is necessary though, but I think the word beneficial fits.

Disclaimer: For anyone who utilizes an oil analysis program, the fuel borne catalysts are known to raise the iron in the analysis. I'm not worried about it myself, but it does bother some people. While my Jeep retains all the emissions equipment I will continue to use the Better Diesel FBC.

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
@Compression-Ignition I'm going to look into an FBC, Thanks for bringing that up. I've seen you post it elsewhere also.

With the proper spec oil, I'm hoping I don't see the Regen Message again. At Least for a long time.

@GtX Thanks for telling me about Banks. I contacted them and found out it doesn't read or show the PIDs for some of the emissions yet. Although it still reads about 80% of the PIDs on the ECM. With an update coming out in Dec 2020, it will be able to read and show those details. It is more expensive, but I think being able to log the data would be awesome and really help me understand what's going on. I work at a chemical plant, so I guess I'm somewhat spoiled on being able to see data and log it on a computer.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Compression-Ignition
With the proper spec oil, I'm hoping I don't see the Regen Message again. At Least for a long time.
Bryan, with 16K miles, I suspect that you've had 10-20 regens by now. [maybe not if you drive exclusively on the highway]. My JLURD is only a month old and I've had 4 so far, but no messages have flashed on the dash. Most happen unobtrusively in the background. Even with a scan gauge, I've only noticed one actually in process.

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
@WXman, I've seen you mention Turbo Temperature on the ScanGauge but don't see that option. What are you monitoring for Turbo?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@WXman, I've seen you mention Turbo Temperature on the ScanGauge but don't see that option. What are you monitoring for Turbo?
TRB "exhaust gas temperature"
Sponsored

Reactions: GtX