Sponsored

ESS battery dead

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
After having not driven my Jeep for 5 days, it wouldn’t start yesterday morning. It was completely dead - remote entry wouldn’t work, no instrument panel activity at all, wouldn’t turn over at all, nothing.

Got it jump started, and then engine light was on and error message saying Start/stop unavailable, service Start/stop.

Drove it straight to the dealer, fixed by the next morning. ESS second battery had failed - no charging at all.

Lucky I was parked in my driveway at home and not somewhere remote.

one other observation - I had noted the engine feeling a little rough, more noticeable at idle, which they said was related. Has gone away now. Something to keep your eye out for.

thanks to Normandin - great service experience!
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dale, how old is your Jeep? I ask because I only use mine on weekends and I wonder if in time I will have the same problem.

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
I was going to get the extended warranty through FCA but haven't done it because I was told it wouldn't cover batteries at all. This includes the ESS battery. No issues getting it fixed?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
We can argue at lengths...justifiably so...that this should not have to be the case, or that it isn't a solution for all: particular those who park their 3.6L JLs in lots that aren't their property and/or where A/C isn't easily accessible....but

where possible, I can't sell strongly enough the idea, particularly where your rig isn't your daily driver--which lately for nearly all of us seems to be the case during Covid-19, that trickle charging your rig while at rest is a good idea.

Plugging the energized chargers leads on to the main battery will charge both batteries as those batteries are connected in parallel when (among other times) the rig's parked.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to get the extended warranty through FCA but haven't done it because I was told it wouldn't cover batteries at all. This includes the ESS battery. No issues getting it fixed?
Not sure if it was our dealer, but my daughter bought a used 18 Compass Trailhawk with 19K miles in late March. A week after getting it the Service Auto Start Stop light came on. We dropped it off at the dealer to look at that and get an oil change. No charge to replace the batter under the standard warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Hey Dale, how old is your Jeep? I ask because I only use mine on weekends and I wonder if in time I will have the same problem.
It’s a 2020 - have had it for 8 months.

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
No issues - dropped it off Mid-morning, and they had it ready next morning. All covered by warranty.

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
We can argue at lengths...justifiably so...that this should not have to be the case, or that it isn't a solution for all: particular those who park their 3.6L JLs in lots that aren't their property and/or where A/C isn't easily accessible....but

where possible, I can't sell strongly enough the idea, particularly where your rig isn't your daily driver--which lately for nearly all of us seems to be the case during Covid-19, that trickle charging your rig while at rest is a good idea.

Plugging the energized chargers leads on to the main battery will charge both batteries as those batteries are connected in parallel when (among other times) the rig's parked.
Agree not a bad idea to trickle charge, but really that shouldn’t be needed. My sense was the battery was failing over time based on what they said. It is my daily, but yes had been sitting due to COVID for a few days.

I have 3 other older cars on trickle chargers (they work great) - no room for this one!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

If my vehicle won't start after 5 - 7 weeks of being parked in the garage and I know the battery is not older than 3 - 4 years then there is some underling fundamental problem with the electrical system of that rig and I will get it properly fixed

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The ESS battery is a problem. I suspect it has left more JLs stranded then any other issue. I highly recommend the TOW package for the higher output alternator and higher capacity battery for ESS equipped JLs.

I suspect a lot of people are not driving as much due to shelter in place orders. I recommend a battery charger/maintainer if you don't drive regularly. Or drive it once a week to charge up the batteries. Make sure you drive it long enough to heat up the oil and burn off moisture.

I started a thread about this.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...place-to-charge-batteries.49022/#post-1096416

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If my vehicle won't start after 5 - 7 weeks of being parked in the garage and I know the battery is not older than 3 - 4 years then there is some underling fundamental problem with the electrical system of that rig and I will get it properly fixed
Honestly 5-7 weeks is pretty long. New vehicles have a lot of stuff drawing power. I don't know how many vehicles of any brand would have enough juice to start?

Forget a 3-4 year old battery. The odds of a new ESS equipped JL not starting after being parked 5-7 weeks is high. Very High. There are cases of them not starting after 3-4 weeks. Some even sooner, like 2-3 weeks. FCA should look into the ESS issues and bad batteries.

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not sure if it was our dealer, but my daughter bought a used 18 Compass Trailhawk with 19K miles in late March. A week after getting it the Service Auto Start Stop light came on. We dropped it off at the dealer to look at that and get an oil change. No charge to replace the batter under the standard warranty.
It’s covered under the standard 3/36

Chain was referring to an extended warranty, which does not cover batteries

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
It’s covered under the standard 3/36

Chain was referring to an extended warranty, which does not cover batteries
That settles it. While I've not put on a ton of miles (just under 9k), I've regularly driven my 18 JLUR several times a week. Last week I noticed my ESS giving me the Not Ready notification, yet I've have had zero problems with starting. I do have the factory big alternator (tow package) and I am charging at between 13.9 and 14.1v whenever I'm driving. I'm going to bring it in for a checkup, just in case!

Last edited:

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
This is good information. My Jeep sits quite a bit. I have never had a problem with it starting or with the ESS, but if it does it will be something to check.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There was a report from last year about a JL sitting at a rail drop yard waiting to be trucked to the dealer but they couldn't get it started because the batteries were dead. It sat for weeks while the rail yard, transporter and Jeep argued over who was responsible for replacing the batteries. Hoping that was some other problem besides the batteries because sitting on a rail car for a few days shouldn't totally kill new batteries.
Sponsored