Sponsored

ESS battery, again..

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
My 2018 Sahara, had both batteries replaced about a year ago. It spent eleven straight weeks in the shop after the 8 speed auto trans ate itself. While at the dealer both batteries died and they replaced them, but the new ESS battery would not charge so the dealer spent much time and effort to resolve this, including a new wiring harness and other bits. Now, less than a year later the ESS battery won’t charge.... not too surprising. What is the downside/negative effects of not fixing it?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My 2018 Sahara, had both batteries replaced about a year ago. It spent eleven straight weeks in the shop after the 8 speed auto trans ate itself. While at the dealer both batteries died and they replaced them, but the new ESS battery would not charge so the dealer spent much time and effort to resolve this, including a new wiring harness and other bits. Now, less than a year later the ESS battery won’t charge.... not too surprising. What is the downside/negative effects of not fixing it?
Would help to state which engine do you have?

drshre

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Shreyas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
outlandish.fun
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2002 Lexus IS300 (5MT)
Occupation
Building Outlandish (download on the App Store)
Are you able to start the Jeep even with the ESS battery dead? Mine also died after the Jeep sat around for a month+, but my dealer replaced the battery because there had apparently been a problem with the battery cells from the factory.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What is the downside/negative effects of not fixing it?
It could suck the life from your main. For example, if it has a bad cell. If you’re under 3years/36,000 I’d get it fixed under warranty. Either way, I’d bypass AUX. I did and have no regrets.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Adam 4248

Well, unless your 2018 JL has had TSB 18-092-19 applied, sometime since you received delivery of it from the factory, you will find that your 2018 JL, will be dead in the water so to speak..... it will not start at all ..... if the ESS battery is depleted significantly or dead..

SO, your ESS being kept healthy is more of a big deal lets say to you, then for a guy/gal with a 2019-2021 JL.

Anyway, if it is under warranty still, get the ESS battery replaced again if bad, and also have the dealer check out the Main battery...

Research on the forum regarding TSB 18-092-19.... what it offers and how to get dealer to apply to your 2018 JL.

After all that, decide if you want to keep the ESS battery in the picture at all. If you do, learn how to deal with it.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s still under warranty have the dealer address if not you have a few choices from replacing to bypassing

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This sounds really frustrating, Adam 4248. If you would like to discuss with our team further, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
I had 3 wranglers with ess issues, all batteries had to be charged to full capacity which took few days on a trickle charger. I was getting 11.4 volts on new jeeps. 12.9 to 13.2 after full charge on each battery. This was even after picking up from dealer that said it was fixed!
Fuses are labeled with proper terminals to use N terms on distribution block. Also every fuse should be firmly seated !
I have a video day 1 2021 wrangler and some fuses and relays 1/16 to 1/4 inch high.
Won't let me upload video. Just check every one. Think i have good pictures on some early posts
Sponsored