Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
tl;dr

I disabled it. So my only expectation is that it stays disabled.
That's fine; but the issue is why did you disable it, and how, over merely pressing the button, and why the costs of your efforts were (judgement free) worth it over pressing the button with another finger of the same hand when pressing the start button?

Answers might include: I want to be in control; it's my "middle finger" gesture to Uncle Sam, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
enough sense for sure, but--and I know you don't buy Global Warming @TEXGOAT --but for those that do--perhaps not enough self control to do without things that everyone else seems to have...a psychological phenomenon of another thread perhaps.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
What I hate about ESS is that "gotcha again" moment because you forgot to press that button earlier. As in when you pull into the driveway, shift from drive into park and your motor restarts. I wish they designed it not to engage for a couple seconds when you come to a stop, but our overlords at FCA did not think this through. I consider this a major design flaw of the FCA ESS system in Wranglers.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
...That said, my focus here is on my own personal curiosity with so many owners just hating the idea of pressing the ESS off button so much, that they'd spend on tech to do it for them. By no means am I criticizing those who make such purchases as we all have adversity to doing different things. I just find it curious how I don't hear, "dang, I wish that radio on button was latching. Why do I have to press it to turn on the radio I almost always want on?"

I suspect it has to do with the idea that we're willing to press buttons to enable the things we enjoy, or that were use to as a society to enable, even if we don't like them (e.g. having to tie our shoes if we choose lace based footwear) rather than buttons to disable the things we dislike. But to my way of thinking, I think in short order, habit could form where we press the starter button with our thumb, and the ESS button a second later after successfully cranking with, say, our pointer finger.

What say you? Why does such tech to disable it sell as well as it does. Do you think a device to "tie your shoes," say, for example, would sell as well?
I only have a few thoughts on this, so I plucked the germane points of your post.

Firstly, I think the idea of paying for a device that disables ESS is borderline moronic. It probably doesn't save the end user much on gas, but as a whole I'd bet it has a big impact on climate change. Even then, despite it's on/off being so aggressive, it's super easy to game with rolling stops and light brakes to where it doesn't even kick in. And if that's too much to ask, just press the damn button. But that said, everyone has their own monetary priorities, and we're all fools that are easily parted with our money for something. Frankly I find the analogy you drew between ESS and the radio too ironic, as I have the Sport's trash Uconnect that works just as you've described - when I get in, it's always on the radio, despite me never using it. Every single time, I have to press through the menus, get to bluetooth, and wait ten to twenty seconds for it to finally sync to my phone. In comparison to the "ESS bad" pot-bangers, my desire to replace my Uconnect with a better unit probably seems like the true crazy. But honestly, the ESS is so damn easy to game. I just don't see it, especially when they then remove the damn things before going into the dealership.

Second point was that they do have self lacing shoes now, ala the Air Mag in back to the future - fun fact!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Even then, despite it's on/off being so aggressive,
Have you driven an F-150 with ESS? The Jeep's programming is downright tame in comparison, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't mind ESS because I have a manual and have total control. But I see the issue if you use the button to disable it every time. If I forget once in a while it would be pretty jolting to have your Jeep shut off in an intersection. If my radio reset every time I turned off the Jeep that would be really annoying too.

So I get it. If I wanted ESS off I would probably invest in a thing to shut it off.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don't have a manual @ThirtyOne but follow your lead in switching to manual gears in situations where, like intersections, I'm (left) turning at, and don't want the vehicle to engage ESS and turn off the engine.

Another way, BTW, to prevent ESS from engaging:)

P.S. : ESS won't engage when the wheel is turned, and power steering, I am to understand, is one the things sourced by the main battery even during ESS events.

Last edited:

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I'm wondering if ESS actually provides an MPG benefit or if it is implemented purely for emissions reduction. I think it could actually be a detriment to MPG under certain conditions; stopping at stop signs for a few seconds and having the engine stop for a second; I would expect more gas to be used to restart the engine than for the second(s) is was turned off.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm wondering if ESS actually provides an MPG benefit or if it is implemented purely for emissions reduction. I think it could actually be a detriment to MPG under certain conditions; stopping at stop signs for a few seconds and having the engine stop for a second; I would expect more gas to be used to restart the engine than for the second(s) is was turned off.
Fair point Paul. There is some content, quoted on the forum from Youtube, that puts the tradeoff of a single ESS event not being gasoline detrimental at about 7 seconds.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I don't let it stop at a stop sign, unless there's oncoming traffic. But if you're sitting at a stoplight for a while with the engine still running you can watch the average MPG readout slowly go down.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Have you driven an F-150 with ESS? The Jeep's programming is downright tame in comparison, lol.
Nah, but compared to my wife's '19 Forester, which I would expect to be a bit more eco-oriented, the JL is like a constant light switch. It's rare for hers to even kick over once.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I hate the ESS, I can't stand it and as long as my warranty is in tact I will allow my muscle memory to override my common sense and push the stupid A$$ (Feel Good For The Moment) button.
Sponsored