Sponsored

Engine "slips" at start after ESS starts engine

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
I only have about 1600 miles so far, and have been loving every mile. This morning I noticed something a little peculiar though when taking off from a stop-light. I keep the ESS engaged, so the engine shut down, light turned green, I pressed the gas, and the engine seemed to rev up to about 1500-1750, hold there for a moment, and then accelerate like normal. I was moving forward, but I never really noticed this momentary "hang" prior to today. Is this simply the torque converter slipping until there is forward motion? What is the stall speed of the factory torque converter? It feels like the eTorque system will move the Jeep forward, engine will go up to 1500-1750 and hang for a moment, and then it will take over like "normal". Maybe I'm overthinking, just want to make sure it's not something I need to take to the dealer. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you have ESS or E-torque? With the standard ESS the torque converter stays locked up at least partially, the starter will kick the Jeep forward. With Etorque, I don’t know.

OP
OP

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 w/ 3.6 eTorque auto

It may have done this before and I never paid attention, so just something I noticed and was more curious if a) it's normal or b) I'm overthinking (likely B). I do have ~35K miles left on the warranty, so I'm pretty sure if it were an issue, I have time to have it fixed. ;-)

OP
OP

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doing a little more testing:

Seems to only happen if the ESS restarts the engine and I immediately get on the gas to accelerate. If I slightly lift off the brake, engine starts, and then slowly get on it, she accelerates normally. Chalking this up to me being "over attentive". Carry on. :)
Sponsored