Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well I may possibly be wrong but it was brought to my attention that the dealer may have used the incorrect oil type and amount in my 2018 JLU Sahara

It states on the service ticket that 6 quarts of 5w 20 synthetic oil was put in my JLU and the manual advises 5 quarts of 0w 20, from my limited research this is the specs for a JK not a JL so am I wrong

Here is the ticket

8D4E775B-415C-4B8B-8D36-CA663CD8909E.jpeg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WranglerMan

The 6 quart total used / listed could just be a typo. But good chance they overfilled.

In the morning, check your dipstick and see if it indicates overfill.

They show they used the right oil filter.

The JL/JLU 3.6 uses 5 quarts of oil.

Personally, I would rather use the 5w20 versus 0w20.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan

The 6 quart total used / listed could just be a typo. But good chance they overfilled.

In the morning, check your dipstick and see if it indicates overfill.

They show they used the right oil filter.

The JL/JLU 3.6 uses 5 quarts of oil.

Personally, I would rather use the 5w20 versus 0w20.
I just pulled the dipstick and checked it a few times and the level seems to be right where I marked it in red, I personally would not call this over filled but not sure where 5 quarts would put it, oil pressure seems to be right at 30# which is where it was at before

B611CA71-266E-47A6-92D6-24B2AE37254A.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WranglerMan

Well, just below the bottom of the red tape, closest to the A is about where you would see if he used 5 quarts.

Check again in the AM before you start the vehicle. The reading if the vehicle was just run or recently run will not record on the dip stick as the reading when the vehicle ha sat overnight lets say.

Doubtful it is overfilled...

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had just come back from a short errand so it had been sitting maybe 30 mins before I checked it, I will check it in the a.m and see where it’s at on the stick, what caught my attention was the 5w 20 even though it’s synthetic I was still somewhat concerned then I saw 6 qts :whew: and started to worry and then I started looking and saw that’s the specs for the JK.

I figure as long as the level in the a.m is within the hashed mark area it should be good, my other concern was the 5w 20 but you say it’s good so not gonna worry

Sponsored

BZRUBICON

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon, 2000 corvette
I just checked mine after seeing this and sure enough it says they put 6qt of 5-20 in it and mine does look overfilled. I hope there's no long term problems from running around overfilled for about 1000 miles!

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked mine after seeing this and sure enough it says they put 6qt of 5-20 in it and mine does look overfilled. I hope there's no long term problems from running around overfilled for about 1000 miles!
I would take it back to the dealer and have them drain every drop of the 5w20 oil oil and also remove the filter and fill it with the correct amount and correct type, I was not so much concerned about the type as @Rhinebeck01 pointed out there are minimal differences between the two but the extra quart over full I know from working on compresssors and engines it’s not good on seals.

I found this info on a quick search and it’s a bit extreme but gives you an idea, the excuse I was given at the dealer was “ We don’t get very many JL’s in for oil changes and for the past 10 years we have been putting in 6 quarts of 5w20 on JK’s” that to me is a piss poor excuse and once my other free oils changes are done if not sooner I will be doing my own.

http://www.t3atlanta.com/blog/car-tips/what-happens-if-you-overfill-auto-oil/

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BZRUBICON

Take it back to service dept. asap. Tell them you want another oil change on them and to be 100% sure they only put in 5 qts. this time. Be sure they do not use one of your remaining free oil changes.

Otherwise don't worry about it. BUT..... in the future when you bring it in to service, do remind the service writer to note 5 qts. on service order. Tell them what happened previously. Check your receipt BEFORE leaving, and if it says 6 qts. have them redo right then and there. As for oil weight 0-20 or 5w20 is aok.

BZRUBICON

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I'll be heading back there today. I have a feeling we're not the only two who have had this happen to us.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BZRUBICON

Yes, surely happens a lot. To be prepared for them to tell you that they did put in 5 qts. and that it is just the paperwork that says 6.

Tell them you have verified by comparison and that your dipstick in deed, indicates 6 qts. in the vehicle.

DON'T argue with a nitwit Service Writer. Politely and calmly ask to speak to the Service Manager. Tell the Service Manager, you are just concerned and request that they correct. He should agree, but if not go and talk to the General Manager of the dealership.

Reality is, you are lucky all they did is put in an extra quart. Could have done a scad of other things wrong... Wrong filter, cross threaded oil drain plug, cracked oil filter cap, got into vehicle with a tool in his pocket and marred seat.... and more. As for me, I say frigggg their free oil changes.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I would take it back to the dealer and have them drain every drop of the 5w20 oil oil and also remove the filter and fill it with the correct amount and correct type, I was not so much concerned about the type as @Rhinebeck01 pointed out there are minimal differences between the two but the extra quart over full I know from working on compresssors and engines it’s not good on seals.

I found this info on a quick search and it’s a bit extreme but gives you an idea, the excuse I was given at the dealer was “ We don’t get very many JL’s in for oil changes and for the past 10 years we have been putting in 6 quarts of 5w20 on JK’s” that to me is a piss poor excuse and once my other free oils changes are done if not sooner I will be doing my own.

http://www.t3atlanta.com/blog/car-tips/what-happens-if-you-overfill-auto-oil/
I just did the first oil change myself. I have a good service dept where I bought my Jeep but even with this I just wanted to do it myself. I do an oil change and 5 tire rotation at each 5K interval.

As we all know if you want something done right, do it yourself. I won't take advantage of the free oil change / tire rotation. The cost of doing it myself is cheap and provides me with much more peace of mind. That is worth more than the free service.

BZRUBICON

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from the dealer and that was interesting to say the least. They had no idea the JL took 5 quarts of 0-20! I talked to a few different mechanics and the service adviser, luckily they were cool enough to not just blow me off and looked into it and after awhile they came to agree with me and took care of it.

BZRUBICON

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might wan't to change the name of this thread so it gets more attention. People need to double check with their service adviser that they are doing the correct oil change.

Last edited:

Dobro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Wrangler JLU Sport S
Just got my oil change done today. Sure enough, invoice says 6 qts and my dipstick showed overfilled. They sucked out a quart and leveled it to the top of the hatch mark. Kinda crappy service guessing the oil capacity when they already messed up to begin with. I think this should be a stickied topic/advisory because the service manager says their computer tells them the incorrect capacity of 6 quarts. Everyone getting their JL’s serviced at a dealer are gonna get blown seals.

RubiconSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hardrock 2016 Sport 2018 JLU Rubicon
Interesting.... the JK (same motor) took 6qts. - I can see this being an issue with the rocket scientists manning the oil change stations.

I'll still be doing my own maintenance especially now....
Sponsored