Engine light and ESS trouble

MotoX989

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sport S Unlimited
My 2018 JLU Sport S throws an engine light and the ESS code, says its code P1404 and U0168. I’ve ran throw checklist and it says it’s an EGR valve. I cannot find anywhere how to service this or where the EGR valve is at to clean it/check it out. Anyone know location or have a video? I’ve poured through the threads here, YouTube, etc. no luck

Also, I just replaced the Aux and main batteries a day ago and no luck after clearing codes. Any help is appreciated..have it parked til I can figure it out.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My 2018 JLU Sport S throws an engine light and the ESS code, says its code P1404 and U0168. I’ve ran throw checklist and it says it’s an EGR valve. I cannot find anywhere how to service this or where the EGR valve is at to clean it/check it out. Anyone know location or have a video? I’ve poured through the threads here, YouTube, etc. no luck

Also, I just replaced the Aux and main batteries a day ago and no luck after clearing codes. Any help is appreciated..have it parked til I can figure it out.
An engine error can cause ESS to be disabled and light the ESS error light. Get your engine error resolved first and see if that turns off the ESS error.

OP
OP

MotoX989

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any ideas on EGR valve? Cannot find a schematic at all that shows where the EGR is located.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Any ideas on EGR valve? Cannot find a schematic at all that shows where the EGR is located.
It is on the driver's side of the engine. You need to take the engine cover off. Photo shows the EGR valve connector being unplugged.

JL 3.6 EGR.jpg

OP
OP

MotoX989

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I’m going to check this out first to see if it’s our culprit. Much appreciated!

Sponsored

OP
OP

MotoX989

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removed and cleaned EGR valve, double checked fuses, married and unmarried Tazer…still showing permanent code for 1404. Sad..guess it’ll have to end up seeing the dealership.

OP
OP

MotoX989

First Name
Jarod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was the EGR valve. I did remove mine and clean it well but it was stuck. Local shop replaced under warranty. Codes cleared and good to go.
Sponsored