Sponsored

Engine Light and Auto start stop light on and engine running rough

Bob687

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab
2019 Jeep Wrangler with 23,000 miles and both the engine light and the auto start/stop warning light have recently come on and the engine is running rough. Any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Something is wrong with your engine and that's why the auto stop/start is disabled. Start with at least getting the code scanned to see what the problem is, but unless you do your own repairs, you're probably going to have to take it somewhere to get worked on.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Rough running with ESS disabled sounds like your alternator is not keeping up. If you want to do a quick part toss on the most plausible suspect, replace the IBS sensor.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Rough running with ESS disabled sounds like your alternator is not keeping up. If you want to do a quick part toss on the most plausible suspect, replace the IBS sensor.
If the engine light is on, it's better to read the code before throwing money at parts. ESS is disabled because of the engine problem.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Whatever you do, don’t do this.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you do, don’t do this.
Obviously scanning for codes is number one but absent a place to start, leaving it parked is a lousy option. Here’s a few symptoms of a struggling IBS which formed the basis of my reply:

Surging Engine
A battery temperature sensor that’s on its way out will cause the engine in the vehicle to surge. This occurs when the sensor has an important role in controlling the system voltage and if there’s an issue, it will provide incorrect data which in turn will result in the engine surging.
Low Battery Voltage
If your vehicle is showing signs of low battery voltage that is a symptom of a bad battery temperature sensor. It can be caused when the computer is provided with inaccurate information and as a result, it doesn’t regulate the correct charge required by the battery. Subsequently, your vehicle has low battery voltage which has its own set of problems including not having enough juice to start the vehicle.
Warning Light
You will also most likely see an illuminated battery warning light if the battery temperature sensor fails. If the sensor or the system associated with it has a problem that’s affecting the battery’s charge, it will light up the battery light. What’s also quite useful is that the battery light will illuminate if the sensor is too hot, which will inform the driver before damage occurs to the battery. Depending on the issue, you could also see a check engine light come one. In that case, scanning for fault codes usually reveals a P0517 error, which is directly related to the battery temperature sensor.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Obviously scanning for codes is number one but absent a place to start, leaving it parked is a lousy option. Here’s a few symptoms of a struggling IBS which formed the basis of my reply:

Surging Engine
A battery temperature sensor that’s on its way out will cause the engine in the vehicle to surge. This occurs when the sensor has an important role in controlling the system voltage and if there’s an issue, it will provide incorrect data which in turn will result in the engine surging.
Low Battery Voltage
If your vehicle is showing signs of low battery voltage that is a symptom of a bad battery temperature sensor. It can be caused when the computer is provided with inaccurate information and as a result, it doesn’t regulate the correct charge required by the battery. Subsequently, your vehicle has low battery voltage which has its own set of problems including not having enough juice to start the vehicle.
Warning Light
You will also most likely see an illuminated battery warning light if the battery temperature sensor fails. If the sensor or the system associated with it has a problem that’s affecting the battery’s charge, it will light up the battery light. What’s also quite useful is that the battery light will illuminate if the sensor is too hot, which will inform the driver before damage occurs to the battery. Depending on the issue, you could also see a check engine light come one. In that case, scanning for fault codes usually reveals a P0517 error, which is directly related to the battery temperature sensor.
This is bad diagnostics. This is akin to replacing wheel speed sensors because the check engine light and the VSC lights are on. You've got the correlation exactly backwards.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
This is bad diagnostics. This is akin to replacing wheel speed sensors because the check engine light and the VSC lights are on. You've got the correlation exactly backwards.
Diagnostics? It’s not diagnostics. At most, it’s a guess in reply to a single sentence description of three symptoms.

Here’s what’s funny though: You don’t know if I’m wrong. You don’t.

Here’s the best part though - Neither one of us knows what’s wrong with OP’s ride but instead of you guessing what’s wrong with his Jeep, you’re guessing you know I guessed wrong with my guess on what’s wrong with his Jeep.

Now that’s some solid Varsity stuff right there, I tell ya!

If OP comes back and says, “VK is a friggin’ genius, that fixed it!”, I’ll let you build a temple in my honor at Disney. Just don’t go cheap on me dammit……

Errrr, do you think Bob’s coming back?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Diagnostics? It’s not diagnostics. At most, it’s a guess in reply to a single sentence description of three symptoms.

Here’s what’s funny though: You don’t know if I’m wrong. You don’t.

Here’s the best part though - Neither one of us knows what’s wrong with OP’s ride but instead of you guessing what’s wrong with his Jeep, you’re guessing you know I guessed wrong with my guess on what’s wrong with his Jeep.

Now that’s some solid Varsity stuff right there, I tell ya!

If OP comes back and says, “VK is a friggin’ genius, that fixed it!”, I’ll let you build a temple in my honor at Disney. Just don’t go cheap on me dammit……

Errrr, do you think Bob’s coming back?
Well, this isn’t Facebook. People come here looking for help.
You posted a whole paragraph about a battery temperature sensor from who knows where.
The correct answer is that an active check engine light will disable ESS and illuminate the @ warning.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
That dude with the pony tail has a video about getting a bunch of warning lights, ESS errors, and I think the Jeep wouldn't start. Ended up being his alternate battery.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That dude with the pony tail has a video about getting a bunch of warning lights, ESS errors, and I think the Jeep wouldn't start. Ended up being his alternate battery.
Not the case here.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Administrator

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Oh, I didn't a solution posted, and checking the state of a battery seemed pretty cheap and harmless.
This isn’t “a bunch of warning lights”. It’s an engine running poorly. The obvious answer is to take it to the dealer for warranty work. Without a code reader, this thread can’t possibly go any further in the correct direction. Now the wrong direction, I expect it can go quite far.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Administrator
Well, I would agree with you if I were saying, "let's throw money at possible solutions and go from there", but I'm not. The ESS light is on and the vehicle runs poorly, simple basic checks like, "Do I have a bad cell" don't strike me as being too difficult are awry (it's obviously electrical). I would rather check battery states before dropping my vehicle off at a dealer. Don't know how quick your dealer is, but mine takes hours to do an oil change...so yeah, I'd spend the 30-40 minutes before dropping it off. =)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well, I would agree with you if I were saying, "let's throw money at possible solutions and go from there", but I'm not. The ESS light is on and the vehicle runs poorly, simple basic checks like, "Do I have a bad cell" don't strike me as being too difficult are awry (it's obviously electrical). I would rather check battery states before dropping my vehicle off at a dealer. Don't know how quick your dealer is, but mine takes hours to do an oil change...so yeah, I'd spend the 30-40 minutes before dropping it off. =)
Obviously electrical? Where do you get that idea?
Sponsored