Sponsored

Engaging 4H

Tampacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two 2018 JLUs.
I had a question for the group. I have a 2018 JLU and switched to 4H for a few minutes today. I got through some snow and then pushed the lever back up to 2H. Then, the ā€œservice 4 wheel driveā€ light came on; and in the center gauge cluster, it says Iā€™m still in ā€œoff roadā€ mode. Meanwhile the jeep is definitely in 2H and is driving fine. The manual says to take to dealer asap. Is this a case where I should be happy I bought the max care plan?

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLURD,ā€˜02 F-250 7.3, ā€˜15 Prius, Had 13 JK
Iā€™m betting that itā€™s a quick adjustment of the transfer case control cable as I had previously posted on this thread. It maybe just the adjustment underneath the center console lever that you use to engage or disengage 4H or 4L. It took the transmission tech about an hour to adjust it and road test it. I saw a Utube video on doing it yourself, Iā€™ve got warranty so didnā€™t bother. Search for transfer case control cable adjustment on your year Jeep.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I had a question for the group. I have a 2018 JLU and switched to 4H for a few minutes today. I got through some snow and then pushed the lever back up to 2H. Then, the ā€œservice 4 wheel driveā€ light came on; and in the center gauge cluster, it says Iā€™m still in ā€œoff roadā€ mode. Meanwhile the jeep is definitely in 2H and is driving fine. The manual says to take to dealer asap. Is this a case where I should be happy I bought the max care plan?
Did the light stay on after shutting down and restarting the Jeep? I've seen that indicator flip on the Grand Cherokee and a restart usually removes it. There is a known software issue, but it isn't mechanical which is why you aren't having an issue driving IMHO.

Tampacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two 2018 JLUs.
Iā€™m betting that itā€™s a quick adjustment of the transfer case control cable as I had previously posted on this thread. It maybe just the adjustment underneath the center console lever that you use to engage or disengage 4H or 4L. It took the transmission tech about an hour to adjust it and road test it. I saw a Utube video on doing it yourself, Iā€™ve got warranty so didnā€™t bother. Search for transfer case control cable adjustment on your year Jeep.
Thanks for the info. Got in the car this morning, no light. Sort of odd, but Iā€™m not questioning it. Appreciate it.

Sponsored

Tampacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two 2018 JLUs.
Did the light stay on after shutting down and restarting the Jeep? I've seen that indicator flip on the Grand Cherokee and a restart usually removes it. There is a known software issue, but it isn't mechanical which is why you aren't having an issue driving IMHO.
thanks. The light was off when I started the jeep this morning. Caught a break.

EXPFDR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Billet Silver JLU
Occupation
Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did eventually get it to go in to 4H and then all the way down to 4L and back up to 2H. By that point I was just happy it was back so I didn't mess with it anymore šŸ˜…
We got 3 inches of snow here yesterday here in NY, so today I drove up to my favorite back road trail and tested out the 4H (good to get that practice in), transfer was very smooth. Sorry for the brightness on the video.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I saw a Utube video on doing it yourself,
Link? I'm finding nothing but JK-specific videos on the subject.

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had that done on November 22 and had that video up on my iPad, I must have deleted it after my dealer fix worked. Iā€™ve looked for it on Utube for a couple of hours now and canā€™t find it anymore, youā€™re right, all JK information. It was just under the center console cover and it kinda reminded me of an adjustment to an older model motorcycle clutch cable in a way.
Iā€™ve enclosed a picture of my repair bill, had warranty, from that day. Sorry I deleted that video and couldnā€™t refind it.

376167C0-E15B-424F-A127-9F1BD0DD9F47.jpeg

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correction, this is bugging me about not remembering where I saw the video on adjusting the transfer case cable under the console. Further digging got me back to these forums. It wasnā€™t a video, but a series of pictures and I found it. I know thereā€™s a way to link that thread and post it here. I donā€™t know how to do that and donā€™t have time now to figure it out, so I took a screenshot of it and enclosed it here, hope this helps, sorry for the memory thing, age I guess.

CC8A2DD1-C87C-42E2-BD11-0FA26A77A15C.jpeg
Sponsored