Emergency/ Trail Toolkit list?

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I looked through the threads and didn't see this. Thought it may be helpful as a checklist

What are the tools you take for the trail?

Craftsman 200 pc tool kit
Tow straps
Ratcheting straps
Hi Lift Jack
Compressor
Etc..

Would liketo see what everyone else packs or suggest
Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I carry extra coolant and oil as well. I have a plastic black box (from Lowes) that is full of my gear

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
If you do some searching in the Jk forum you can find a lot of info about trail gear, recovery gear, bug out gear and the like. I think I have three tabs on my Jeep spreadsheet dedicated to distilling this info all down to a usable list of gear depending on what my needs are going to be.

Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
@Revelation17 - any chance you'd share said spreadsheet? always interested in other peoples bug out gear
It’s on my work machine. I’ll take a look at them and make sure they’ll make sense. It was somewhat in process so it’s not final but could be of use.

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Please share!! I’m liking the list so far.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my working doc. The left tab is the most distilled down. It's still a work in progress but might provide some stimulation for your little grey cells. Most of the info was pulled off the JK Forum when I was thinking of getting a JK. It's part bug-out, part camping, part emergency kit.

Attachments

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here's my working doc. The left tab is the most distilled down. It's still a work in progress but might provide some stimulation for your little grey cells. Most of the info was pulled off the JK Forum when I was thinking of getting a JK. It's part bug-out, part camping, part emergency kit.
Excellent details. Thank you for sharing this Excel file.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I looked through the threads and didn't see this. Thought it may be helpful as a checklist

What are the tools you take for the trail?

Craftsman 200 pc tool kit
Tow straps
Ratcheting straps
Hi Lift Jack
Compressor
Etc..

Would liketo see what everyone else packs or suggest

The craftsman 200 kit might be overkill as probably 1/2 of it will never be used (the Jeep is all metric unless you change bolts out for SAE).

The box I carry has a variety of 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2” drive metric sockets with some SAE sprinkled in to cover what is in use. Box end wrench’s (mostly metric with some SAE), vice grips, various plies and wire cutters. Ball peen hammer, 4lb sledge, 1/2” drive torque wrench, various screw drivers and a multi-torx tool, impact gun and associated metric and SAE sockets. I’ve also got a work light, electrical tape, and a host of zip ties. Depending on the trip I’ll have my installed compressor along with a 10lb CO2 tank for supplemental air up or driving my impact gun. I also just picked up a cordless 20v impact that’s become my new best friend.

I’d suggest ditching the tow strap and getting a kinetic recovery strap (nothing with metal hooks) 25-30ft. You want a strap that has some elasticity in a recovery situation that will stretch and “snap” back to aid in pulling the stuck vehicle free.

Lots of flash lights.

First aid kit.

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Speaking of flashlights, check these lights out from Gear Aid. They are high quality construction (military grade), I will be adding one to my tool setup this summer.
https://www.gearaid.com/products/portable-light-power-arc?variant=28044138897
Another consideration to make is tool roll vs tool box. Although tool kits now generally have molded plastic spots for all of your tools, and make accounting for all your tools easier, tool rolls are more compact and can hold a bunch of extra stuff all in one easily transported roll.

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/products
https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Tool-Pouch-Roll-p/21trl-coy.htm

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Another consideration to make is tool roll vs tool box. Although tool kits now generally have molded plastic spots for all of your tools, and make accounting for all your tools easier, tool rolls are more compact and can hold a bunch of extra stuff all in one easily transported roll.

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/products
https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Tool-Pouch-Roll-p/21trl-coy.htm
Totally agree with you on the tool roll for wrenches. I use this one for my wrenches.
71Ij5QLheGL._SL1500_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013G5YAG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
How many D rings should I be purchasing? Not sure how many mount points there are on the JL with stock bumpers...

Also, any specific recommendations on D rings? I’m thinking I’ll also plan to run with isolators.

Similar questions for tow straps. Recommendations on length? Any special considerations to consider? Do others agree with the recommendation above for a kinetic strap/something with give in it? That surprised me, though I of course know nothing about them.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
How many D rings should I be purchasing? Not sure how many mount points there are on the JL with stock bumpers...

Also, any specific recommendations on D rings? I’m thinking I’ll also plan to run with isolators.

Similar questions for tow straps. Recommendations on length? Any special considerations to consider?
There are no specific locations for D Rings on the JL unless you have aftermarket bumpers that have the mounting points. As far as tow straps go, mine is a 30k 3inch strap that is 30 ft. long.....

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
There are no specific locations for D Rings on the JL unless you have aftermarket bumpers that have the mounting points. As far as tow straps go, mine is a 30k 3inch strap that is 30 ft. long.....
Ugh, really? I guess my newb is showing ;-)

So recovery points are... just the three stock tow hooks (2 in front and 1 in the rear, IIRC, assuming it is unchanged from the JL)?
Sponsored