Emergency/ Trail Toolkit list?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
How many D rings should I be purchasing? Not sure how many mount points there are on the JL with stock bumpers...

Also, any specific recommendations on D rings? I’m thinking I’ll also plan to run with isolators.

Similar questions for tow straps. Recommendations on length? Any special considerations to consider? Do others agree with the recommendation above for a kinetic strap/something with give in it? That surprised me, though I of course know nothing about them.
If you're running stock bumpers, plastic or steel, you will need zero clevis shackles (or d-ring as they're sometimes called as there are no shackle tabs to attach them to. If you have a hitch and pick up a Factor 55 hitchlink or something similar maybe one d-ring. If or when you upgrade bumpers to something with something from the aftermarket that has shack tabs, then you'll want to pick up some d-rings. Personally I never saw a point to running d-ring unless I'm wheeling so I never needed isolators. The two problems I see with running around with them in the bumpers all the times is one the pins will become loose and you might end up losing one (it happened to a buddy on his F250) or if you live in the midwest they'll rust to hell.

You don't want any sort of top strap, chain or anything with metal hooks. You want a specific recovery rated strap.
Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
If you're running stock bumpers, plastic or steel, you will need zero clevis shackles (or d-ring as they're sometimes called as there are no shackle tabs to attach them to.
Thank you for the help!

Can you clarify the above portion? I didn’t follow it - did you mean to say I will *not* need...

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Check out the Rhino straps and D-rings!! Amazing quality

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Thank you for the help!

Can you clarify the above portion? I didn’t follow it - did you mean to say I will *not* need...
I meant it to read that way, if you’re running stock bumpers you will need zero d rings, as in, not need any.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’d suggest ditching the tow strap and getting a kinetic recovery strap (nothing with metal hooks) 25-30ft. You want a strap that has some elasticity in a recovery situation that will stretch and “snap” back to aid in pulling the stuck vehicle free.
Thanks for sharing this. I just started doing some frs
I meant it to read that way, if you’re running stock bumpers you will need zero d rings, as in, not need any.
Doh! That makes sense. My bad. Thank you!

Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
What type of fire extinguisher does everyone recommend to carry around? I am in Canada so need to make sure the type I get is also compatible in the winter (not sure if that’s even an issue).

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
ABC is the type I carry. It covers all types

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’m also looking for info on a fire extinguisher. I’ve read that some types clean up easier than others. Any specific brand/model recommendations?

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe

Sponsored

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my working doc. The left tab is the most distilled down. It's still a work in progress but might provide some stimulation for your little grey cells. Most of the info was pulled off the JK Forum when I was thinking of getting a JK. It's part bug-out, part camping, part emergency kit.
Awesome List, thanks for sharing

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
I carry a bunch of goodies for recovery in my Jeep, including a large toolkit/socket set. The problem is that the toolkit is pretty heavy and has WAY too many items. I’m curious if anybody has created a list of tools you should bring on the trail (ie - 18mm socket for sway bar disconnects)?

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Cmon, folks. Nobody carries a toolkit for their jeep? . Off top of my head, you’d want:
Duct tape, bailing wire, 18mm socket, 40/50 torx, screwdriver, vise grips, crescent wrench, headlamp, dead blow hammer, work gloves. What else?

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I will add some stuff I have. Zip ties, pry bar, full SAE and Metric socket set, small tarp, bungees, tape, screw drivers, knives, multi tool, flash light, magnetic flash light, 4 bottles of water, small first aide kit, 5 pack of shotgun shells, fire starter, few more survival items, salt and pepper.

In a separate bag I have my recovery items, links, straps, etc.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

I will add some stuff I have. Zip ties, pry bar, full SAE and Metric socket set, small tarp, bungees, tape, screw drivers, knives, multi tool, flash light, magnetic flash light, 4 bottles of water, small first aide kit, 5 pack of shotgun shells, fire starter, few more survival items, salt and pepper.

In a separate bag I have my recovery items, links, straps, etc.
Sponsored