Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
After spending half the night researching on such a simple topic, it's not that simple since every topic comes up when searching for "Emergency Brake Issues"

When sitting in the driver seat yesterday I pulled the emergency brake and hear a loud clunk. So loud in fact that it made me jump. I went under the jeep and inspected the cables leading to each rear wheel. I found that if I pull the cable from under the Jeep leading to the rear passenger tire, I hear a loud bang as if a spring is not sitting right. Has anyone else experienced this issue before? I go back to the lever in the Jeep and it is exactly at four clicks you get this noise. I don't mind pulling the tire and rotor off, just wondering if anyone else has heard this from their Jeep.

Thanks,
Sponsored

Last edited:

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I do have something going on with my e-brake lever. Not sure if it's the same. I can hear and feel a pop/clunk when I engage the brake sometimes or even most times. It feels like something in the lever mechanism, though it's not super loud and feels minor. I haven't really tried to figure it out yet, though, because lazy. But it's on my list...

OP
OP
Command Line RC

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do have something going on with my e-brake lever. Not sure if it's the same. I can hear and feel a pop/clunk when I engage the brake sometimes or even most times. It feels like something in the lever mechanism, though it's not super loud and feels minor. I haven't really tried to figure it out yet, though, because lazy. But it's on my list...
I suggest going to the rear of the jeep and pulling on the cables to see which direction you hear the noise. If it's more towards the front or towards the wheels themselves.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest going to the rear of the jeep and pulling on the cables to see which direction you hear the noise. If it's more towards the front or towards the wheels themselves.
Ok I will see what I can find out on mine later today.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
After spending half the night researching on such a simple topic, it's not that simple since every topic comes up when searching for "Emergency Brake Issues"

When sitting in the driver seat yesterday I pulled the emergency brake and hear a loud clunk. So loud in fact that it made me jump. I went under the jeep and inspected the cables leading to each rear wheel. I found that if I pull the cable from under the Jeep leading to the rear passenger tire, I hear a loud bang as if a spring is not sitting right. Has anyone else experienced this issue before? I go back to the lever in the Jeep and it is exactly at four clicks you get this noise. I don't mind pulling the tire and rotor off, just wondering if anyone else has heard this from their Jeep.

Thanks,
Did the clunk sound like it originated at the axles or more in the center of the jeep?

The adjuster mechanism, where the two e-brake cables are joined together and then attached to the handle, is located on the floorboard underneath the rear half of the center console. Maybe this mechanism is getting caught on something under the console and when you pull the handle it is freeing itself and making a noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Command Line RC

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did the clunk sound like it originated at the axles or more in the center of the jeep?

The adjuster mechanism, where the two e-brake cables are joined together and then attached to the handle, is located on the floorboard underneath the rear half of the center console. Maybe this mechanism is getting caught on something under the console and when you pull the handle it is freeing itself and making a noise.
Going underneath the Jeep to each rear tire you can pull the parking brake cable. The passenger side, you pull it and a loud metal loud clunk sound actually comes from the tire area itself. I'll figure it out this weekend coming up and let you all know.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Well in my case the sound is definitely coming from inside. I bet it's in the adjuster but won't know until I take the console off to look. It's intermittent, but when it does happen it's always after the last click on the e-brake lever.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Well in my case the sound is definitely coming from inside. I bet it's in the adjuster but won't know until I take the console off to look. It's intermittent, but when it does happen it's always after the last click on the e-brake lever.
I'm actually taking my 2019 JLR in today to have the parking brake assembly replaced because mine would rattle when I released the parking brake.

Back in February I was told that the spring had come off the handle so the entire assembly would need to be replaced. Only took 5 months to get the parts in.

OP
OP
Command Line RC

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im currently at the Dealership now. Ironically, the ABS and traction control light came on yesterday morning. I gave them a heads up about the parking brake...I'll keep you posted on both subjects.

OP
OP
Command Line RC

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I walked back and spoke to the technician. I pulled the parking brake cable in the back and it stopped making that noise. The tech said that when you lift the rear end up the parking brake self levels out...whatever the hell that means. Never heard of that before. The driver rear speed sensor is shifting in and out so they are installing a new one.
Sponsored