Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I put a 2" Rough Country budget lift on last night. Playing it safe to make sure I had slack in the E-Brake lines I simply unhooked the E-Brake cables from the rear wheels. When I went to reconnect them the driver's side was about 1/2" too short to reconnect. So I decided to push and pull the cable in it's sleeve to see if I could get some slack.
Boy did I get myself some slack... because I popped it off where it connects at the handle!!! :facepalm:
Now the E-Brake handle is completely loose. My suspicion is I need to take the center console apart to get in there to reconnect it.
Anyone ever do this or have any advice?
Sponsored

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I unclipped my brake cable in order to make room for my lift also, now my emergency brake handle is loose... I never pulled the cables, just unclipped them and clipped them back on... really irritated idk if I have to adjust the handle somehow or the drum brake...

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I unclipped my brake cable in order to make room for my lift also, now my emergency brake handle is loose... I never pulled the cables, just unclipped them and clipped them back on... really irritated idk if I have to adjust the handle somehow or the drum brake...
The emergency brakes do engage. Put it in drive while the emergency brake was on and it did hold, however it feels very loose when being pulled

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You probably unhooked one of the cables from the handle. I would lift your center counsel and check where they connect. I have to do the same thing myself when I get time.

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
It was unhooked, took it to the shop yesterday and they fixed it after the alignment... had them do it, if the brakes get loose again I just take it to them and they will redo it for free...

Sponsored

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
It was unhooked, took it to the shop yesterday and they fixed it after the alignment... had them do it, if the brakes get loose again I just take it to them and they will redo it for free...
This included them taking apart the consol and the wheels re-tensioning the brake line and re-adjusting the brakes themselves in the drums.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome!
I didn't ask them to do mine because I'm the one who screwed it up :/

Do you happen to know how they did it? Simply lift up the center console?

Dyvin_m

First Name
Dyvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Awesome!
I didn't ask them to do mine because I'm the one who screwed it up :/

Do you happen to know how they did it? Simply lift up the center console?
They said they lifted the console, however I picked the Jeep up right before they closed and the mechanic that worked on mine already left. I never got a chance to talk to the guy

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to doing this so I shared on another thread where a guy had the same issue and I'll post it here too.

You will need:
10mm socket
Thin small screw driver or butter knife
Vice Grips
Needle Nose Pliers

Disconnect the cables from the rear drums.
At the front of the console pop the little circle covers and remove the 10mm bolts.
Put both seats all the way forward, pop the rectangular covers in the rear and remove the 10mm bolts.
Lift up on the console, you will need to jiggle, lift forward, pull up, etc.
Once it is loose look up under it from the driver's side rear and you will see the cradle where the two parking brake cables connect into.
Reconnect them.
Connect brake cable at the rear tire. This will be easy.
The second one requires you to clamp the vice grip ON THE METAL END OF THE CABLE right at the wheel. DO NOT clamp the cable it's self or you can damage it.
Use the needle nose pliers to pull the tab the cable hooks into out as far as it can and hold it steady.
Using the vice grips pull the cable and hook it into the tab. It doesn't require a ton of force and you will see the opposite cable give a little to allow this to happen.
There is no need for any adjustments, nothing changed it just got disconnected.

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to doing this so I shared on another thread where a guy had the same issue and I'll post it here too.

You will need:
10mm socket
Thin small screw driver or butter knife
Vice Grips
Needle Nose Pliers

Disconnect the cables from the rear drums.
At the front of the console pop the little circle covers and remove the 10mm bolts.
Put both seats all the way forward, pop the rectangular covers in the rear and remove the 10mm bolts.
Lift up on the console, you will need to jiggle, lift forward, pull up, etc.
Once it is loose look up under it from the driver's side rear and you will see the cradle where the two parking brake cables connect into.
Reconnect them.
Connect brake cable at the rear tire. This will be easy.
The second one requires you to clamp the vice grip ON THE METAL END OF THE CABLE right at the wheel. DO NOT clamp the cable it's self or you can damage it.
Use the needle nose pliers to pull the tab the cable hooks into out as far as it can and hold it steady.
Using the vice grips pull the cable and hook it into the tab. It doesn't require a ton of force and you will see the opposite cable give a little to allow this to happen.
There is no need for any adjustments, nothing changed it just got disconnected.
Thank you for posting this. This happened to me putting in my 2.5" RK lift this past weekend. I'll have to do this now this weekend.

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
thanks for the info on this! is the adjustment for the e-brake line under the console also, or is it back along where the cable exits from the sheathing just before the brake?