Sponsored

2018 JLUR - DEAD Emergency Brake

darylkeys

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Wrangler TJ Sahara & 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon!
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone. Miss you all! Here's a new one. My E-Brake is COMPLETELY DEAD. I drive a manual so this is less than desirable. Leaving the car in gear to prevent rolling but this is definitely an issue for me.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you hold the handle up, will the brake hold the Jeep on an incline? If so, the ratcheting mechanism in your console is broken. If not, you have a broken or disconnected cable under the vehicle. I agree, with a manual trans. you need to get that replaced under warranty ASAP.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Yeah, that is messed up. Warranty time!

OP
OP
darylkeys

darylkeys

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Wrangler TJ Sahara & 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon!
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Vehicle Showcase
Holding the handle up barely provides any braking. But its def not staying up by itself.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Warranty for sure! If they don't fix it...you've got a lemon on your hands.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Hey everyone. Miss you all! Here's a new one. My E-Brake is COMPLETELY DEAD. I drive a manual so this is less than desirable. Leaving the car in gear to prevent rolling but this is definitely an issue for me.

What was wrong with your e brake?
What was the fix?

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
I have same issue. What was the problem?

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
Ramblin Man

Wondering what the fix was for this? I'm taking mine in on Monday, as the same thing happened to our lever yesterday....

lunchbox02

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 2018 JLUR that does the same thing periodically: every few days or so. Since it clearly is a safety risk I took it to Rydel Chrysler Jeep in San Fernando, Ca. Took a week to get an appointment. Took the day off work to get it looked at. Late in the afternoon the dealership advised that they could not replicate the problem and told me there was nothing to fix. So if someone gets hurt guess who I will be sueing. It does not seem right that someone has to wait for a safety problem to became even more dangerous before it is taken seriously. What was the fix for those with the same problem.

Sponsored

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
The E-brake is junk! I had same problem. Couldn’t get in the dealer soon enough so i took the 4 bolts out the console lifted it up just enough from the rear to get my hand in there. Its two cables that goes into a bracket. One of mine keeps coming out I’m guessing when I’m not using the E-brake and hit a bump going down the road maybe. Has happened multiple times. Can feel it slowly going again.

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
Ramblin Man
The E-brake is junk! I had same problem. Couldn’t get in the dealer soon enough so i took the 4 bolts out the console lifted it up just enough from the rear to get my hand in there. Its two cables that goes into a bracket. One of mine keeps coming out I’m guessing when I’m not using the E-brake and hit a bump going down the road maybe. Has happened multiple times. Can feel it slowly going again.

In our case, it turns out that the button on the end of the lever was sticking so as to engage the mechanism full time. The dealership took it apart, lubed it and it seems to work fine now...however, in the process of doing that, I'm pretty sure they broke the little plastic trim cover that goes over the button, as i found it on the floor of the jeep a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how the lever could be sticking at this point in the game...but if it happens again, I'm going to insist that they replace the entire brake handle...

lunchbox02

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Interesting. Today being the 5th day after taking it to the dealership for the E brake issue, as mentioned in my prior post, we also found the silver E brake button loosely on the floor of the jeep. I tried to put it back on but it will not stay put. Thank you for the updates.

rhoalev

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JLU Sahara)
Took our 2018 JLU (with under 4500mi) to the dealer because the parking brake handle was making a noise when you lowered the handle, with the button depressed. Sounded like the teeth were touching as you lowered the handle, even with the button fully depressed. Am used to that sound when you raise the handle, but shouldn't make that sound when you're lowering it.

First dealer admitted hearing the sound but said it wasn't 'much of a sound.' Took it to a second dealer and they didn't think it was a big deal but were going to order a part and replace it.
** Have driven manuals all my life and kinda know whats not normal but whatever...

A few days later, got a call from the wife saying she couldn't get the parking brake to release. I couldn't get the parking brake to release either so had to get it towed to the dealer; come to find out that it seized up. Still waiting for it to be fixed to know exactly what parts 'seized up'.
Sponsored