Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
My '21 JLR started pulling to the right a couple of weeks after I ran the Rubicon Trail. It was fine on the 800+ mile drive home from California. Took it to a couple of very capable, trusted shops. The first one said that caster was perfect, toe was just a bit off, and suggested that I rotate the tires. I did that with no improvement. The second shop specializes in alignments, and they agreed that caster was perfect, tweaked toe and the drag link, which made some improvement, but it still drifts to the right. The manager of that shop says that electric steering sometimes needs to be re-calibrated at the dealer. He says that they see it on different brands of vehicles with electric steering, not just FCA ones. He also said that the problem sometimes fixes itself, but didn't have any suggestions on how to force the computer to re-calibrate.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas, other than to take it to the dealer?
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I’m going to call BS on the whole theory. Lots of modern vehicles use electric power steering, via racks with servomotors, or other means to correct the steering for lane keeping. To some degree it’s steering by wire, like the drive by wire throttle control in common use.

Wranglers on the other hand still use a recirculating ball steering box, just like every power steering domestic car did in 1970. The electric component is nothing more than an electric pump that replaced the belt driven pump to pressurize the steering box.

There is nothing there on the electric side of the system to create a pull one direction or the other.
Sponsored