Ecodiesel vibration

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Has anyone had internal engine vibrations that vibrate the entire Jeep. I have tried to figure if it's something to worry about or not. I have rebuilt engines and trannys to say the least and to me it feels like an issue. My 6.7 Cummins definitely doesn't vibrate like this engine. It worst when trying to climb hills and the tranny stays in 8th and sometimes drops to 7th, I have manually dropped it down to 6th to see if it's just bogging but it still feels ro be there. I have seen internal balance issues on Fords v-6 4.2 liter they put in the 150s but again it's not the ecodiesel. Does anyone have other thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Has anyone had internal engine vibrations that vibrate the entire Jeep. I have tried to figure if it's something to worry about or not. I have rebuilt engines and trannys to say the least and to me it feels like an issue. My 6.7 Cummins definitely doesn't vibrate like this engine. It worst when trying to climb hills and the tranny stays in 8th and sometimes drops to 7th, I have manually dropped it down to 6th to see if it's just bogging but it still feels ro be there. I have seen internal balance issues on Fords v-6 4.2 liter they put in the 150s but again it's not the ecodiesel. Does anyone have other thoughts? Thanks
not normal, I would look into that issue further. Are you sure its from the Engine bay? could be a driveshaft out of balance. With the low rpms in 8th it would be more prevalent. only other thing I could think of would be bad injector causing lack of compression in the affected cylinder.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
I'm going to keep investigating, it's hard to figure out because at say 80 mph accelerating up to that it vibrates and once your at speed and level out it goes away almost completely when you ease of the gas pedal.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That happened to the 2005-2006 KJ models which also had VM diesel engines. The issue turned out to be the torque converter. Apparently they used torque converters from gasoline engines, and those converters couldn't handle having the torque so low in the RPM band. It would feel like driving over "rumble strips" on the edge of the roadway.

They ended up replacing the torque converters with updated ones that had stronger springs in them to prevent slippage when the converter is locked up. That cured the issue. I had mine done and it changed the Jeep for the better.

I wonder if that could be happening here? I realize it's a different engine and different transmission, but in theory the same concept could occur.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
What sucks is I'm on a long trip from Texas to Muncie Indiana. It's so annoying on the highway it's constant and throttle makes it worst every time the cruise speeds up. I actually had a 2004 Honda civic that I had kind of the same thing it was a motor mount issue and the aluminum part of the mount had contacted the frame and was vibrating the entire car. I'll look around at the gas station.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Sitting passenger with free time I can say the vibration is in the front seats floor area, and when I drive its felt in the steering wheel and the pedals. Crusing at a constant speed its almost gone but now it's getting worst under acceleration. Making me hope we make it to Indiana and are able to drive back to Texas.

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
stop at a dealer and have them check it out..if its getting worse you may not like the end results if you let it continue.

no offense but you don't have it in 4wh and not realize it?

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
No 2 wheel drive, and it's worst on the passenger side. Could it be the valve I. The exhaust?

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Vibration in your feet, look at the front tires.
Vibration in your ass, look at the rear tires.

Have you eliminated tire pressure, tire balance, etc. yet?

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Has stock tires and new rims that were just balanced and put on. It's definitely engine vibration just can't figure what part of it.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
The exhaust system on the diesels have a exhaust valve in the system under the jeep
Thats used for emissions and I was wondering if maybe it was stuck closed. Same kind of thing happens when a catalytic converter breaks down and clogs the exhaust pipe

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
The exhaust system on the diesels have a exhaust valve in the system under the jeep
Thats used for emissions and I was wondering if maybe it was stuck closed. Same kind of thing happens when a catalytic converter breaks down and clogs the exhaust pipe
The valve you reference is way in the back. Unless you are asking if the valve is closing when it shouldn't, thereby causing the engine to perform erratically? Which I really don't think would be the case as you'd have codes.

Sitting passenger with free time I can say the vibration is in the front seats floor area, and when I drive its felt in the steering wheel and the pedals. Crusing at a constant speed its almost gone but now it's getting worst under acceleration. Making me hope we make it to Indiana and are able to drive back to Texas.
This kinda sounds like drivetrain to me. Might be more complicated, internal and non visible like @WXman described. But I'd say drivetrain. Reminds me of how a trashed drive shaft u-joint might be fine at constant cruise, but sounds like shit under acceleration or deceleration.

OP
OP
WranglerUnlimited2018

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Very true, after my trip I will be able to put it on my lift and check underneath it alot better. Check the engine see if something is rubbing. After that if I can't figure it out I will take it to the dealer.
Sponsored