ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
I have an ecodiesel in my GC. pics are from 54k miles... you be the judge....

20191102_124510.jpg
20191102_124833.jpg

*edited the fat finger 44k to 54k*
Sponsored

Last edited:

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
this is one a clean egr tube looks like.... Yes, they revised the EGR system... but my previous pics show what goes back into your intake.
642d2378b76a53722c94e5e935a23bb6.jpg

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
and here is a clean map sensor...
02acda8e8376922bd48eeef9b7ae7291.jpg

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Emissions are freaking me out. I’m environmentally conscious so I’m not deleting anything even if tuners were suddenly available again but my plans are to retire my Jeep from DD in four years and would love to have an off-road specific vehicle void of emission related issues.

Can this diesel be restored from the damage created by the current EGR and particulate filters clogging or just general soot being deposited? Seen a few videos and it looks like you’d need to constantly take the EGR out for cleaning as well as addressing the particulate filter as regen alone not getting it done.

D&L does bullet proofing and I’m going to call them to better understand what that does but it always gets me nervous when others offer a remedy the manufacturer doesn’t considering it’s in their best interest to avoid warranty concerns.

Thoughts?
Tuners are available.... GDE, one of the most prominent names in EcoDiesel tuning has been targeted by the EPA and is under a "cease and desist". Canadian tuners are still available as well as SFT, among others. SFT doesnt "tune" it for you... they sell you the hardware for you to be able to tune it yourself. SFT tunes are stored on a canadian server, allowing them to skirt any issues with the EPA.

I totally respect your desire to keep it environmentally friendly. One thing id like to point out is the OEM tuning and emissions equipment is Primarily for particulate matter and NoX. Particulate matter is mostly "carbon dust" that will settle to the ground in a short period of time. PM can be harmful to human lungs, although a properly tuned engine will produce relatively little PM. Moral of the story: EPA says X,Y & Z are bad, so you have to come up with these emissions devices to eliminate that... which in turn makes them less efficient and prone to problems, further compounding the X,Y & Z things they were meant to "fix" in the first place.

Bullet proofing: Eliminate the common failures related to that engine(ironically, most are the emissions devices that were supposed to fix the problem in the first place).

I have seen first hand the "soot" build up in my EGR & intake... not even counting the EGR cooler failures that leak coolant into the engine, it is literally a ticking time bomb. IF you are under warranty its great, FCA will pay to fix.... Unfortunately the deposits and problems show up after the warranty expires in most cases.

Perhaps the "gen 2" ecodiesel will be better and not have the common failures of the "gen 1"....Im a pretty skeptical person, so until i see it proven I wont believe it myself. Unfortunately it will take years before the "gen 2" proves itself, so whos to say?

Ive owned quite a few Diesels(VW TDI's, Duramax's and an EcoDiesel) over the years as well as worked with a lot of folks who own and/or work on them(cummins, powerstrokes, Detroits, VM, CAT, etc)..... I, personally would "delete" the problematic emissions equipment and get "tuned" to prevent most of the common problems as soon as possible.

Your results may vary.....

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
My dealer quoted me $299 to remove and clean the EGR. Wouldn’t this along with other preventive maintenance done at every 30k miles or more frequent resolve many of the issues? It’s costly but still cheaper than dropping a hemi in. If soot build up is the problem then periodic removal of it might be the solution.

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer quoted me $299 to remove and clean the EGR. Wouldn’t this along with other preventive maintenance done at every 30k miles or more frequent resolve many of the issues? It’s costly but still cheaper than dropping a hemi in. If soot build up is the problem then periodic removal of it might be the solution.
The cleaning of the EGR itself may prevent an EGR failure... or could induce a failure with being regularly removed and reinstalled if they arent careful.

It also depends on what your dealer is actually quoting you for. To remove, clean and reinstall the EGR diffuser tube I could see $300 being an "appropriate"(dealer pricing being ridiculously high for the actual work involved) dealer price. To remove, clean and reinstall the actual EGR cooler(thats subject to failure) is quite a bit more involved... coolant lines, more difficult to access, etc.

With all that said, the biggest concern is the soot deposited into the Intake manifold. Removing, cleaning and reinstalling that is Far more involved than the EGR stuff.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Soot is a bitch. Delete not an option. Better be some iron clad you won’t get mad warrantee. :(

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Soot is a bitch. Delete not an option. Better be some iron clad you won’t get mad warrantee. :(
Might still be an option, depending on where you live(what sort of testing/inspection youre subject to). Many places that do emissions testing only check for for CEL's along with a visual inspection. If everything looks stock and no codes are showing then you pass. Few places do actual tail pipe "sniff" test. IF you have to pass a "sniff" test then its 50/50 if youll pass or not. Your results may vary, dont take my word for it, proceed at your own risk.

I really hope the 2nd gen EcoD is better than the first. As we advance technologically eventually emission systems will work well and be trouble free.... but i dont think we are there yet...

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m choosing not to delete and not because I’m not legally able or can’t get away with it. I know. Sounds lame. Plus might have issues with warranty work and that’s not so lame

Sponsored

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m choosing not to delete and not because I’m not legally able or can’t get away with it. I know. Sounds lame. Plus might have issues with warranty work and that’s not so lame
I respect your choice, just wanted to let you know that even if you were subject to emissions testing it might still be an option. Many folks wont do this type of work for fear it will void Warranty(which it will). The down side is that by the time Warranty is up(when most people decide to start doing mods, etc) the damage is already done.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I respect your choice, just wanted to let you know that even if you were subject to emissions testing it might still be an option. Many folks wont do this type of work for fear it will void Warranty(which it will). The down side is that by the time Warranty is up(when most people decide to start doing mods, etc) the damage is already done.
Understood and why this community rocks. Helping each make informed decisions.

As to the damage done. That’s my biggest fear and reason for this thread. Was hoping the damage could be reversed. Change of lifetime warranty seems bleak.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
No lamer than not deleting to help save wear/tear on our planet. I am usually not a tree-hugger, but this will be a way different place for our grandchildren if we don't do something soon.

It was warmer (65 degrees) in Antarctica this week than Phoenix.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
No lamer than not deleting to help save wear/tear on our planet. I am usually not a tree-hugger, but this will be a way different place for our grandchildren if we don't do something soon.

Oh God, not this. If you truly buy-in to climate change, leaving the DEF system on your unnecessary oversized truck isn't "doing something about it".

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

Diesels produce far less CO2 than gas engines, and near equivalent amount to electric vehicles running on the US power grid...NOx and soot have nothing to do with it. When the Chinese stop producing CFCs like the rest of the world chose to, maybe we can have an honest conversation about arctic warming.
Sponsored