Sponsored

Ecodiesel Reliability?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Over here for example in the GC the 250 hp and 420 ft/lb diesel has a slightly better acceleration 0-100 kph then the pentastar, with the pentastar having a slightly higher top speed by a few kph.
Link required.
Sponsored

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Sure, hope I'm allowed to post this, official prices and specs from Jeep Germany. It's in German but go all the way to the bottom and specs for all engines are visible. As I said, not sure if this diesel over here is different, but certainly doesn't seem to be slower then the pentastar.

https://www.jeep.de/content/dam/jeep/de/brochure/grand-cherokee/preisliste/604.pdf
People over here don't understand how torque plays into acceleration, they only look at the HP number and think that is everything and decide in their head which is faster :cwl: And you're right, tuning the diesel is much cheaper than installing a SC on the Pentastar. The good SC kits are $5-6k easily and at least 10 hours to install if you've never done it before.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anything with a turbo is going to be easier to get power out of. I had Green Diesel Engineering send me a tune for my KJ CRD and it added 70 lbs/ft of torque instantly. Also changed some shifting and emissions around. Made the Jeep a totally different vehicle. I wouldn't want another without it.

Conversely, the Pentastar makes a low amount of torque and requires expensive supercharger kits to be respectable. And then you have added maintenance, potential belt issues, have to run premium fuel, etc.

The EcoDiesel had some issues with cams I think it was. But haven't they fixed that now?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The EcoDiesel had some issues with cams I think it was. But haven't they fixed that now?
I thought it was the Pentastar with cam issues.

Anyone who thinks the Pentastar has more power than the Ecodiesel simply hasn't driven the oil burner. Don't care what the numbers on paper say, the few Pentastar equipped JKs I've driven are hopelessly gutless, and the 2 diesel Jeeps (KJ & WK) pin you to the seat back when you punch it. MY OPINION.

And as far as mods go, IIRC, the Pentastar has no chip tunes on the market, and is not built for bolt on turbo or blower.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I thought it was the Pentastar with cam issues.

Anyone who thinks the Pentastar has more power than the Ecodiesel simply hasn't driven the oil burner. Don't care what the numbers on paper say, the few Pentastar equipped JKs I've driven are hopelessly gutless, and the 2 diesel Jeeps (KJ & WK) pin you to the seat back when you punch it. MY OPINION.

And as far as mods go, IIRC, the Pentastar has no chip tunes on the market, and is not built for bolt on turbo or blower.
No, the P-star had head/valve issues and casting sand sludging issues. The EcoDiesel issues have something to do with cam pins or maybe it's crank pins. Can't remember. I saw a thread about it on another forum. One guy did a YouTube video of taking his engine apart himself because he was out of warranty.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Edit: it wasn't pins it was the gears. The timing gears were the problem. Hopefully FCA fixes this before the '18 batch rolls out. That would be an expensive repair.

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
People over here don't understand how torque plays into acceleration, they only look at the HP number and think that is everything and decide in their head which is faster :cwl: And you're right, tuning the diesel is much cheaper than installing a SC on the Pentastar. The good SC kits are $5-6k easily and at least 10 hours to install if you've never done it before.
Yeah I see. But it is understandable, you guys simply don't have the experience with turbo-diesels and much less with tuning them. There is a reason why the rest of the world loves them, especially for vehicles such as the wrangler. The pentastar is simply put an outdated engine, and having driven both I think that there is no comparison. To all of these guys doubting the capability of the 3.0 diesel, especially when tuned, I have personally seen a friend's GC tuned to 290 hp and over 500 lb-ft (done by these guys https://www.squadra-tuning.nl/chiptuning/jeep/grand-cherokee/3-0-crd-2014/) which outran a GC HEMI, granted I'm talking about the 5.7 of coarse. I think that when experience with the ecodiesel eventually does set in NA, they will greatly outsell the pentastar. Too many guys here have completely false prejudices about diesels, for instance I find it quite amusing when people still think that diesels have issues with the cold. You guys do realize that it is 2017, and modern diesels have been perfected. I mean, these days military vehicles and tanks are in the majority diesels. Diesels run in places such as Siberia, enough said about any issues that they might have.

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Yeah I see. But it is understandable, you guys simply don't have the experience with turbo-diesels and much less with tuning them. There is a reason why the rest of the world loves them, especially for vehicles such as the wrangler. The pentastar is simply put an outdated engine, and having driven both I think that there is no comparison. To all of these guys doubting the capability of the 3.0 diesel, especially when tuned, I have personally seen a friend's GC tuned to 290 hp and over 500 lb-ft (done by these guys https://www.squadra-tuning.nl/chiptuning/jeep/grand-cherokee/3-0-crd-2014/) which outran a GC HEMI, granted I'm talking about the 5.7 of coarse. I think that when experience with the ecodiesel eventually does set in NA, they will greatly outsell the pentastar. Too many guys here have completely false prejudices about diesels, for instance I find it quite amusing when people still think that diesels have issues with the cold. You guys do realize that it is 2017, and modern diesels have been perfected. I mean, these days military vehicles and tanks are in the majority diesels. Diesels run in places such as Siberia, enough said about any issues that they might have.
Agree 100% with everything you said. I currently have a Duramax, and after running that I could never go back to driving a gas truck. The difference between a turbo diesel and gas is night and day.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, hope I'm allowed to post this, official prices and specs from Jeep Germany. It's in German but go all the way to the bottom and specs for all engines are visible. As I said, not sure if this diesel over here is different, but certainly doesn't seem to be slower then the pentastar.

https://www.jeep.de/content/dam/jeep/de/brochure/grand-cherokee/preisliste/604.pdf
Well before everyone goes off on their theories of performance.
Euro Ecodiesels are tuned to have 10HP more than N.Am.
Plus, it’s not only not the new Pentastar, that Euro GC Pentastar has a Wrangler level tune @ 5HP less and 5lbft torque less than the OLD GC’s Pentastar in N.Am. , so that’s at least 20HP off of what is currently the case in N.Am., and being that’s all German it’s hard to tell what else is different regarding axles or anything like emissions controls, etc.

It’s kind of a funny choice of comparison too since the Export Wranglers are slated for the 2.2L diesel in the Cherokee, not the 3.0L in the GrandCherokee, so essentially a regional configuration that won’t apply to either market for the JL Wrangler.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edit: it wasn't pins it was the gears. The timing gears were the problem. Hopefully FCA fixes this before the '18 batch rolls out. That would be an expensive repair.
Looking like it’s gonna be a different EcoDiesel 3L in the JL, one of the first applications of the next generation, so they may have addressed the sins of the father. When the RAM gets it, it will likely target the LR diesel numbers since that’s likely around the level of what’s going in the Fords, interesting to see how it looks in the Wrangler since power was unaltered in the N.A,pm. GC between the two, unlike the gasoline engines.

Firecatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon
Yeah I see. But it is understandable, you guys simply don't have the experience with turbo-diesels and much less with tuning them. There is a reason why the rest of the world loves them, especially for vehicles such as the wrangler.
Some places more than others, before the economy went in the dumps over here a few years ago there was diesel vehicles all over the place, mostly trucks but still, there are plenty of places from my neck of the woods that build some pretty insane diesel vehicles. This is one of their old trucks, but they have one now making 2000hp+.
http://armorinc.ca/index.php/2012-11-30-21-25-11/2012-12-03-14-45-31/30-competition-truck
We even have a few diesel-only drag and tractor pull races here and they used to have very good attendance. Not as much common place now, but it used to be the first thing you did when you bought a diesel vehicle was take the EGR and DPF systems off and put a tune in it, it was so bad that even the dealers were getting into it and would have it done before you picked it up.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
It’s kind of a funny choice of comparison too since the Export Wranglers are slated for the 2.2L diesel in the Cherokee, not the 3.0L in the GrandCherokee, so essentially a regional configuration that won’t apply to either market for the JL Wrangler.
i hope that not the case for aus it will fail if thats the case bigger diesel sell better here thats why the ford ranger now out sells the toyota hilux for the 1st time ever
nissan have reduced there engine size = lower sales
toyota reduced engine size = lower sales
ford increased engine size = market leader
vw just introduced 3.0l v6 we'll see how that goes but ill bet itll out sell there 2.2l

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i hope that not the case for aus it will fail if thats the case bigger diesel sell better here
Well , and also your environmental controls aren’t as strict, which is why they still have the dirty V8 turbo diesel in the Toyotas after they were dropped in Europe and N.Am. so OZ might have a different option.

However, currently the 2.2L is mentioned as the Export JL option, and the new refreshed EcoDiesel will be in such high demand for the RAM 1500, Wrangler and GC that it is unlikely they will want to send what limited production they have overseas initially. So if they do offer the 3.0L for export Wranglers, it will likely be even later than next summer.

ckapavik

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Toyota Corolla
So let me start off first by giving some information. I do not own a Wrangler and have only spent two weeks behind the wheel of a JK and JKU while on vacation in St Thomas. I am however planning on buying a JLU in about a year once the EcoDiesel is available, fingers crossed it actually comes and is not a mirage on the horizon.

If you can afford the EcoDielsel, I highly recommend it. We have it in my wife’s 14 JGC and it puts a smile on my face almost every time I drive it. It is my first oil burner and I will do whatever I can to always drive one until electric is affordable and has a decent range. We have about 60k on ours and have had them replace the cat converter due to issues, fairly well known I think, but that has been it. Sure that issue sucks, but it was 100% covered by warranty. DEF refill is a minimal issue, every few thousand miles,.

If you plan on long trips, the extra MPG is amazing and the power on hand is outstanding. Yes this engine will be different, however I know I am personally waiting on the JLU diesel after owning the JGC. Just my 2 cents, take it however you will.
Sponsored