Sponsored

EcoDiesel Engine Chirping Noise

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
One of you needs to get this on video if possible. I haven't notice anything of the sort but am curious now🤣
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Only chirping I've ever been familiar with in association with diesels has to do with the fan belt. My understanding was that upon shutdown, the engine stops so abruptly, that the belt skips/slides over one of the pulleys.

So to me when I read the thread topic it reminded me of that and I wondered if it might be something similar. All that torque being pumped out and then one of the engine components connected by pulley gets to far out of sync RPM wise.

Just a theory....perhaps a bad one....:idea::no::whatsgoingon:
I agree it might be a belt these do increase in noise frequency over time.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Sitting stopped and at an idle, mine has a sound like a cat meow-ing under the hood...LOL. My wife says "there's that cat again"...
maybe u have a very finely tuned engine and it purrs too.

Willys53

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys CJ3A, all original, 1953 Willys CJ3B with V8 and mods , 2021 JLUR Diesel
it is not a belt or turbo spooling down. This is after being stopped for a while at a red light or similar

G0nBr0ke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlud ecodiesel
I hear it when lightly accelerating and cruising up to 30 mph. Above 30-35 mph I don't hear as much due to wind / road / tire noise.
I think you could be hearing the intake suck air. This is more noticeable on low rpms and momentary when accelerating. I get it on multiple vehicles, it is more pronounced with cold air intakes but can happen with the factory airbox at the air inlet opening especially with a turbo diesel.

Reactions: DMT

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Mine sounds like field full of crickets in the summer under light or medium throttle t
between 10 and 35mph.

does that sound similar?

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I think you could be hearing the intake suck air. This is more noticeable on low rpms and momentary when accelerating. I get it on multiple vehicles, it is more pronounced with cold air intakes but can happen with the factory airbox at the air inlet opening especially with a turbo diesel.
Same, my wife's Subaru Forester with it's Flat-4 chirps like a cricket at idle and when going 35mph and below. I thought it was the fan scuffing or a belt or something, but it comes from the intake. It used to bug the heck outta me, but the Subi's intake is more like a CAI, and it chirps like a MFer when it sucks air in a low speeds and idle.

Nothing to do about it but drive faster for longer.

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
All those mystic sounds on and off were since new and i am slowly getting used to. Its totally different rhythm and throttle vs gas engines. Cats and crickets.

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
Anyone else have this issue? It's weird not everyone hears it.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
still Sounds like a field full of crickets on mine.
based on the overal performance and mpg on my Jeep I’d say it’s probably supposed to be that way

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I swear most of you are describing different noises.

For me a couple months ago I was testing the manual mode and wanted to see if they had designed any braking into this thing. To my surprise the manual mode works great to slow your vehicle. Like really really good. We have a really steep new road they put in near me average of about 8%, but probably 12+% in spots. Anyhow I had to really get aggressive with the downshifting, but once those rpms got up there and it was yelling at me pretty good, it started braking pretty hard. And right then....is when I noticed my very first chirp. Which is absolutely the belt slipping BTW.

So I can't speak to what everyone's noise is, but anyone complaining of a chirp that has any sort of relation to letting off the throttle or slowing down, that's what it is. And it is a normal thing. I did find it odd that it wasn't until I did this 'test', that I developed the chirp. Happens all the time now when I let off the throttle. Non issue.
Only chirping I've ever been familiar with in association with diesels has to do with the fan belt. My understanding was that upon shutdown, the engine stops so abruptly, that the belt skips/slides over one of the pulleys.

So to me when I read the thread topic it reminded me of that and I wondered if it might be something similar. All that torque being pumped out and then one of the engine components connected by pulley gets to far out of sync RPM wise.

Just a theory....perhaps a bad one....:idea::no::whatsgoingon:

Kevinfinni

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
I hear it when lightly accelerating and cruising up to 30 mph. Above 30-35 mph I don't hear as much due to wind / road / tire noise.
My 2021 turbo diesel JL has that fain chripping noise also. On light acceleration plus or -30 mph I have no idea where it’s coming from or what’s causing it

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
Yes that's definitely the same as mine. I had them look at it and the tech said he can hear it, but feels it's normal.

The normal Diesel tech was on vacation and there was no diesel wranglers on the lot to compare to.

Aaronfoster4673

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
it is not a belt or turbo spooling down. This is after being stopped for a while at a red light or similar

Ok i have the 3.6l gas. Ive owned 6 diesels, so i do understand them and how they operate. I dont believe its actually engine based considering i have the identical issues on my engine. I noticed it for the first time going through my neighborhood. I immediately thought wheels and tire area. Possibly brakes as it sped up and slowed down, but as i came to a complete stop the issue didnt. I tried to listen with the hood open but of course it stopped right as i got under the hood. I believe its a belt or pulley related. 2021 gladiator mojave. 3500miles

OP
OP
nsa250x

nsa250x

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLURD, 1976 CJ7
I finally took my Wrangler to the shop. The diesel technician heard the noise and said it’s normal for the EcoDiesel engine.

my Wrangler runs great. 15k miles on it without any problems.
Sponsored