EcoDiesel Engine Chirping Noise

FinnCustomKnives

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
One of you needs to get this on video if possible. I haven't notice anything of the sort but am curious now🤣

Advertisement

Petey

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Only chirping I've ever been familiar with in association with diesels has to do with the fan belt. My understanding was that upon shutdown, the engine stops so abruptly, that the belt skips/slides over one of the pulleys.

So to me when I read the thread topic it reminded me of that and I wondered if it might be something similar. All that torque being pumped out and then one of the engine components connected by pulley gets to far out of sync RPM wise.

Just a theory....perhaps a bad one....:idea::no::whatsgoingon:
I agree it might be a belt these do increase in noise frequency over time.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Sitting stopped and at an idle, mine has a sound like a cat meow-ing under the hood...LOL. My wife says "there's that cat again"...
maybe u have a very finely tuned engine and it purrs too.

Willys53

First Name
mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys CJ3A, all original, 1953 Willys CJ3B with V8 and mods , 2021 JLUR Diesel
it is not a belt or turbo spooling down. This is after being stopped for a while at a red light or similar

G0nBr0ke

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlud ecodiesel
I hear it when lightly accelerating and cruising up to 30 mph. Above 30-35 mph I don't hear as much due to wind / road / tire noise.
I think you could be hearing the intake suck air. This is more noticeable on low rpms and momentary when accelerating. I get it on multiple vehicles, it is more pronounced with cold air intakes but can happen with the factory airbox at the air inlet opening especially with a turbo diesel.

Reactions: DMT

SolarWizard

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance / Diesel Gladiator soon
Occupation
energy management tech for homes and businesses
Mine sounds like field full of crickets in the summer under light or medium throttle t
between 10 and 35mph.

does that sound similar?

Reactions: DMT

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
I think you could be hearing the intake suck air. This is more noticeable on low rpms and momentary when accelerating. I get it on multiple vehicles, it is more pronounced with cold air intakes but can happen with the factory airbox at the air inlet opening especially with a turbo diesel.
Same, my wife's Subaru Forester with it's Flat-4 chirps like a cricket at idle and when going 35mph and below. I thought it was the fan scuffing or a belt or something, but it comes from the intake. It used to bug the heck outta me, but the Subi's intake is more like a CAI, and it chirps like a MFer when it sucks air in a low speeds and idle.

Nothing to do about it but drive faster for longer.

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhawk Cherokee 2014 3.2
All those mystic sounds on and off were since new and i am slowly getting used to. Its totally different rhythm and throttle vs gas engines. Cats and crickets.

Advertisement

Rock Krawler

Advertisement