Easy / Affordable Wheel Upgrade?

Pieper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited 2.0
First time looking at all new tire/wheel setups for my 2019 JLU Sport. Everything is stock right now (no lift / no leveling) - and will probably stay that way for a while. Got a new kid who deserves a bit more money than my ride right now. Regardless - I desperately want some new tires (black or gray) and wheels to go with them. My current wheels are stock silver - and I just don't like 'em. I live in Western NC - so while there's a lot of small-level off-roading...I don't need (or want) anything too crazy. Anyone have suggestions on an easy size wheel/tire to modify my Wrangler a little bit? I just want a little beefier stance going on! Pretty sure wheels at the size I'm thinking won't need any sort of spare holder upgrades?

Also - any suggestions for where to sell my current (great condition) wheels and tires?

THANKS!
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
To save money, have you thought about just painting your stock wheels? Probably cost about $100 in paint, scuff pads, tape, etc.

I did this on my TJ Rubicon using Duplicolor wheel paint. It's fairly easy and takes about 2 days.

Just an idea to save yourself some money.

OP
OP

Pieper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited 2.0
To save money, have you thought about just painting your stock wheels? Probably cost about $100 in paint, scuff pads, tape, etc.

I did this on my TJ Rubicon using Duplicolor wheel paint. It's fairly easy and takes about 2 days.

Definitely thought about this - so thanks for mentioning. I think I also desire a slightly larger wheel - but I'm in exploration mode - so thanks again!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pieper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited 2.0
The cheapest for your needs is to buy rubicon takeoff wheels and tires. I think we all hate the oem sport s wheels.
What does a 'takeoff' wheel mean? Assuming these are stock Rubicons that those owners immediately upgrade from...

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer

This or Plasti Dip is a related option.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Definitely thought about this - so thanks for mentioning. I think I also desire a slightly larger wheel - but I'm in exploration mode - so thanks again!
There is a lot to explore depending on what you mean by "larger." Tons of threads about how large a diameter tire you can run without a lift. I personally think that Rubicon takeoffs (which should have 285/70-17) don't look quite right on a Sport without a small lift but others like it fine. If you're on all-season 245/75-17 tires now, you can go to a 265/70-17 with little/no impact on performance or rubbing, etc.

If you're changing wheels, you'll also need to sort through width and offset as they may be the same as stock but likely not.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
The cheapest for your needs is to buy rubicon takeoff wheels and tires. I think we all hate the oem sport s wheels.
Definitely agree with the Rubicon Take-Offs. You can usually find a set of 5 extremely low mileage Rubicon wheels and tires, for less than what you'd pay for just tires and installation.

Sharky24

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Rubi take-offs with factory KO2s. Paid $600 for a full set of 5 with decent tread remaining

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Take a trip over to Rubitrux in Boone. They have tons takeoff wheels and aftermarket Wheels. Plus they have a lot full of Jeeps in many different configurations. So you can see how this wheel or that wheel fits. They close early on Saturday. I ordered my AEV wheels from them.
l have a set of JL Rubicon wheels if you are interested. I come up to Asheville pretty often because my family is in Weaverville.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Keep a look out for Rubicon wheels and Rubicon suspension
Suspension (springs and shocks) goes for a $100, wheels with tires close to 1k
Keep your stock for winter - narrow tires will do better. Or sell them to recoup some money.

Used aftermarket wheels with tires go for 1k - 1.5k, so I would not waist too much money on OEM Rubicon (as they don't have desired ofset)

Last edited:

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
aww.. I like the S wheels. I painted mine black with Plasti-dip because the silver seemed a bit much against the black Jeep, but I recently put them on my Wife's Sarge Green and peeled the Plasti-dip off and I think they look sharp. It would be cool if they were two-tone, maybe if someone did some pre-cut vinyl to go into the insets.

There's also the wheel skin (ahem, hubcap) option if paint isn't your thing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Black-20...l-Skins-Hub-Caps-Full-Rim-Covers/224084426422