First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious how difficult the newly designed soft top is to remove for hard top install.
Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks!
With the new locking function for the soft top in the folded down position - removal of the soft top will be that much easier. Just detach the frame from the roll cage and store it. Without looking at the details, I can't imagine it being more than 2 bolts (if that even).

The other items you'll need to remove are:
-Door surrounds. In the JK there were easy thumb screws holding these on. Not sure with the track now as part of the surround. But again, Jeep has been making this stuff easier with each redesign.
-Tailgate bar brackets. Just snapped onto the body. half a second each to remove.

That should be it. The JK soft top is pretty easy. The JL should be easier.
Sponsored

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
Considering soft top only. I want to actually drive a soft top to see how well it seals out external wind and noise. Especially, at highway speed on a windy day. Four wheeling, for me, implies dealing with lots of trees. Easy to take the soft top down or, as I do, simply pull out plastic side and rear window. Tree branches do put holes in soft tops. However, with today's tape options, they are easily repaired

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I want the soft top primarily, but I ordered the dual top so that the wiring/plumbing was already done at the factory for the hard top and in case the claims of all the soft top improvements don't pan out and I need a better highway experience (less noise) with the hard top. I also travel a lot for work and I'm not thrilled with the idea of parking at the airport for days with a soft top.
This.

I learned the hard way that if you EVER think you'll want a hardtop, order it from the factory! Otherwise it's very expensive and very time consuming to add the wiring and plumbing at the dealership.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I usually don’t like soft tops as more days are bad weather around here than good. But the ease of the new one makes it very tempting. I might go with that power top even tho I’m extremely hesistant because it was generally considered a failure on the liberty
What bad weather? It looked beautiful up there during Sunday's Bills game! Was that you in the stands wearing the t shirt?

oldowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius 4 (2010) Audi Q5 (2014)
I'm tending toward the hard top. I keep my vehicles outside with lots of seasonal changes in weather (Eastern Shore of Maryland). Also parking area is under pine trees which can drop sap, needles, and. sometimes, limbs.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm leaning toward dual top option (guessing about $2,400 option) but that means I have to upgrade to Sport S. I like the fact the dual top option includes the premium soft top as well.

The hardtop is $1,100. So that leaves about $1,300 to purchase a soft top later on.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The premium soft top is really nice. I could run it all winter without issues. Just the security (shopping for Christmas presents) and the glass windows (kids play hockey - loading gear with soft top up all winter gets old) makes it worth my time to have the hard top.

$1300 for the full soft top? I mean Bestop/Quadratec will sell their own versions of the top that they already make for Jeep. I'd guess they will be about the same if not more than the dual top difference.

I know I see a ton of JK unused OEM tops for sale on Craigslist all the time. I think most were dual top people who trade in their JK with just the hard top. Or those that just get tired of it sitting around the house. I see them for around $800 on there.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Quadratec has the Bestop Supertop version of the premium OEM soft top for $1500 for the JK. I'd also guess that the JL will be a little more in cost. So that $1300 for the OEM isn't a bad deal vs buying a Bestop new.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
For me it will come down whether I purchase a Sport or Sport S or some higher trim.

Dual Top is not an option on the Sport, so I'll save the $1,300 upfront and use if for a soft top down the road.

Smudgynut

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I just ordered a new JLUR with the hardtop only. I really like the premium soft top but was wondering if this could be purchased and installed at a later date?

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I just ordered a new JLUR with the hardtop only. I really like the premium soft top but was wondering if this could be purchased and installed at a later date?
Yes, they are interchangeable, but it will cost you more buying it separately later. There are cheaper aftermarket soft tops though.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Two tops for me, we get lot's of snow and it gets bitterly cold north of Boston. No question swapping the tops, twice a year, will be a pain but I still think it's the better option for me.

Smudgynut

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Yes, they are interchangeable, but it will cost you more buying it separately later. There are cheaper aftermarket soft tops though.
Thanks. That's what I had figured.

17FreedomChief

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Freedom Edition in Chief
I think a lot of it depends on location honestly. I got the dual top on our 17 JKU and plan to do the same when I pick up a 2 door JL in the next two years. I live in PA so during the winter months I find the solid top and rear wiper and defrost invaluable. With a little help I can remove the back section and store in my garage all spring and summer and into the fall. Love having the soft top for those times as our weather changes drastically over days or sometimes even in one day. The convience of throwing up the soft top of need be in a few minutes is definitely worth having. As of now it looks like on the JL builder the dual top option is not available which is a disappointment but that may change before it comes time for me to place an order.

ASKobayashi

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is interesting.. I am completely new to Jeeps, and I'm planning on waiting until I can order one with the premium tan top. I'm 100% sure I want the soft top, but I'm kind of on the fence about the hard top. I'd hate to have to store it all the time. I had not considered ordering the hard top and then buying aftermarket. Are the after market soft tops as good as the OEM ones? Will they be as easy to remove as the OEM one?
Sponsored