First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
All,

I really was ready to order a JLU with a soft top, but, had some reservations since previously I did have the dual top package. I have the room to store the hard top, but wanted to check my sanity before spending another ~$2k in options.

I would like the soft top, but, enjoy going to the range and that does not seem too compatible with driving anything but directly to and from range. Does anyone have a suggestion for a firearm/locking back safe for a jeep?

I know there are some hard tops in the after market, has anyone had any luck with them? I think I may eventually want one, but wasn't sure what the benefit was from getting the hard top from the factory? Does it come with the wiring harness for the back no matter what? If I just get the soft top that is, would the harness and whatnot be there for the hard top should I get one later?

What are people's thoughts?
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I went through the same thing with my JK but I didn't realize it until I already owned just the soft top. I live near Nashville and we went to Arkansas for a duck hunting trip and every time we stopped I had to park the Jeep where I could see it. At Walmart, everyone has to stop at Walmart on a hunting trip because they forgot something, one of the guys had to stay with the Jeep until someone else finished and came out. My next Jeep will have the dual top option. The way I see it the dual top option is the same price as my shotgun.

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
If you want the wiring harness from the factory you will have to get the hard top when you buy it. You don't have to get the dual top option just the hard top option. You can always get the after market soft top later if wanted to which may be less expensive depending on which way you went but the only way to get the wiring harness and the washing fluid is to get a hard top from the factory. You can add those in later but is a pain in the butt.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I hated the JK soft top but with the new JL soft top premium and new design with dual package, I will be getting both this time around for my JLUR.
Factory warranty on both plus the soft top will be in high demand if you want to sell it later.

TrophyHusband

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU -Jeep JK Rubicon
All,

I really was ready to order a JLU with a soft top, but, had some reservations since previously I did have the dual top package. I have the room to store the hard top, but wanted to check my sanity before spending another ~$2k in options.

I would like the soft top, but, enjoy going to the range and that does not seem too compatible with driving anything but directly to and from range. Does anyone have a suggestion for a firearm/locking back safe for a jeep?

I know there are some hard tops in the after market, has anyone had any luck with them? I think I may eventually want one, but wasn't sure what the benefit was from getting the hard top from the factory? Does it come with the wiring harness for the back no matter what? If I just get the soft top that is, would the harness and whatnot be there for the hard top should I get one later?

I use the Aries Security Cargo Lid and two best top under the seat gun safes. I didn't pay that much for the Aries so if you look into it shop around.
All,

Sponsored

jtp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S unlimited
When I get my Jeep with the soft top, I'm ordering the Diabolical Slipstream XLS looks sleek and the lid comes off completely by pulling four hing pins. Also the Tuffy center console and glovebox storage lock box for peace of mind.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
All,

I respectfully don't agree with the logic. Here's my take. Want to leave a firearm unattended in a vehicle?....get a lock box for the vehicle to carry it in, soft or hard top.

They say a chain's only as strong as its weakest link. In this case your weakest link is easily shatterable door glass--even if your hardtop was made of steel.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
FYI... The soft tops are back ordered right now, so if you order the Dual Top option... your Jeep will be delayed several weeks. There are a large number of Jeeps stuck in JB status for anyone who ordered dual top. So be aware, there is a supply issue with soft tops right now that will delay your order

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
FYI... The soft tops are back ordered right now, so if you order the Dual Top option... your Jeep will be delayed several weeks. There are a large number of Jeeps stuck in JB status for anyone who ordered dual top. So be aware, there is a supply issue with soft tops right now that will delay your order
Call me crazy but why not offer Dual Top customers the right to take possession of their hard top only, along with, yes, the Wrangler itself, with soft top to follow thereafter?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Call me crazy but why not offer Dual Top customers the right to take possession of their hard top only, along with, yes, the Wrangler itself, with soft top to follow thereafter?
Yes this is crazy. I understand the thought behind it but the logistics for the manufacturer to keep track of this and then incur the additional cost of shipping them all over the country at a later date makes this a no go. Even if the customer says "Hey I'll pay the shipping charges" it is still a nightmare for the manufacturer to handle.

Sponsored

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Yes this is crazy. I understand the thought behind it but the logistics for the manufacturer to keep track of this and then incur the additional cost of shipping them all over the country at a later date makes this a no go. Even if the customer says "Hey I'll pay the shipping charges" it is still a nightmare for the manufacturer to handle.
I had the same frustration as mine was delayed. When I received my dual top JLUR I was shocked to see the dual top box took up the entire cargo area with the rear seats down. I have yet to unbox it, but holy cow it is huge in the box.

Now i see why they won’t ship it separate from the JL!

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Is it the premium top that is back ordered or all soft tops?
Sponsored