Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
From a design perspective, the JL’s three rear soft windows are designed to be used together. All three in place or all three off. Since there are no more zippers, the three windows rely on each other to stay in place tightly.

If you remove just the rear window, there’s a strong likelihood of the two side windows coming undone or getting damaged from flapping in the wind while at highway speeds. You’re probably ok for short distances or at very slow speeds.

While some toxic exhaust fumes may find their way into the cabin from the rear window, I think if you lower some of the other windows, you should be fine. I used to do that all the time with my TJ and JK.
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Hmm I have never lost a side wondow yet haha. Idk how many times I have had just the rear window out but I have done it a few times.

I usually just have all three out or all three in.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Just found this thread again.

Anyone do doors off and all three windows in?

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
I'm not concerned about CO building up to a dangerous level at all.. ( see my avatar )
CO exposure depends on concentration and amount of exposure time. As long as you are outside no worries.
I drive with the top up and rear window out often..

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
Just found this thread again.

Anyone do doors off and all three windows in?
I've done it but not over 50 mph b/c I'm still under 30 miles on the odometer. I imagine only way this will a problem is if the top and windows aren't attached correctly.

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Does the back window need to be on if the side windows are on? I used to roll up my back window in my JK, but it doesn't seem like you can do that with the JL.
Dont do it. I did it for a short trip and gas fumes came up through the cabin. If you do it, make sure all windows are open on the doors.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I past phase 1 of the break-in and got up 50 for about 1 mile, no wind or crosswind from tractor trailers, and they stayed put, no problem

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I past phase 1 of the break-in and got up 50 for about 1 mile, no wind or crosswind from tractor trailers, and they stayed put, no problem
I drove nearly 200 Miles this weekend with no doors and only windows in. No issues.
Sponsored