Driving with no back window

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Does the back window need to be on if the side windows are on? I used to roll up my back window in my JK, but it doesn't seem like you can do that with the JL.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you have all your windows ON and just the rear window is open, that's dangerous for CARBON MONOXIDE from your exhaust--

For short runs--not much of a problem, but especially when in traffic/off-roads and all your windows are up--

You shouldn't ever have JUST THE REAR WINDOW OPEN !

JIMBO

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
If you have all your windows ON and just the rear window is open, that's dangerous for CARBON MONOXIDE from your exhaust--

For short runs--not much of a problem, but especially when in traffic/off-roads and all your windows are up--

You shouldn't ever have JUST THE REAR WINDOW OPEN !

JIMBO
Wrangler manuals through the years have been clear on this as well. OP, go all or nothing. No need to give yourself CO poisoning

OP
OP
dangerz

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
That's really interesting, thanks for the heads up. I never knew that.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
So it’s okay to drive with the rear windows open? (Off-topic)

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I ask, because there were mechanical concerns with the previous models
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....1.64.psy-ab..2.2.220...33i10k1.0.KExb6rQLgjQ

Good question and my thoughts would be any time you have only rear window open you run the risk of exhaust coming in. If you have all windows open and the rear I would think you'd be ok especially if you are moving. Sitting at a stop light or in traffic even with all windows down would be a gamble though. The exhaust rolls up and the roof traps it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What if you have the rear glass open and all 4 windows down in a JLU with the hard top on? Still a concern for exhaust? any concern for the back glass bouncing around or hitting the spare tire and breaking?

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
ok c'mon, realistically - if the vehicle is moving, I'm pretty sure the oxygen/CO ratio is safe enough. I had a 4runner and the back window rolls down. I used to cruise with the back down and the sunroof open and it created a pretty nice airflow. Did it smell like CO? yea, at times when flooring it. But did you die? Nah.

Unless you are parked inside your garage with the car running and the back window is open, you will live.

Drive your jeep as you please! We are all going to die one way or another. Enjoy your Jeep and drive it with or without any window of your preference. Mechanically, the vehicle will be ok.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What if you have the rear glass open and all 4 windows down in a JLU with the hard top on? Still a concern for exhaust? any concern for the back glass bouncing around or hitting the spare tire and breaking?
I am assuming we are talking about soft-tops on this thread. Based on common sense laws - You should NOT drive with the back window up on a hard top.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Does the back window need to be on if the side windows are on? I used to roll up my back window in my JK, but it doesn't seem like you can do that with the JL.
If you are talking soft top, the JL can run with the rear windows out and the top down. Unless you are parked in a closed garage sitting in your Jeep while it’s running your exposure to CO wouldn’t be any more than driving with your other windows down, top down, doors off etc. go for it.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I am assuming we are talking about soft-tops on this thread. Based on common sense laws - You should NOT drive with the back window up on a hard top.
Based on common sense laws? I drive around town with my hard top window up. What kind of common sense laws am I breaking? If it’s a nice day all my windows are open.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I do this all the time. If it ruins the hydraulics holding it open, oh well lesson learned. My window has never bounced yet. On older models some people would bungee cord their window down onto the tire to keep it open for dogs.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on common sense laws? I drive around town with my hard top window up. What kind of common sense laws am I breaking? If it’s a nice day all my windows are open.
my own common sense laws. I don't want to hit a bump and break that glass all over the freeway when the glass hits the back wheel. Then again, that's my own common sense :)

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, the thread is about soft tops, but this was a similar but different question. At least it was similar enough of a topic compared to people who start ranting about Yeti corps standing on laws on other threads. lol
Sponsored