First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
The only thing I can tell you is that when I ordered my 2018 Sahara with the tow package, one of the items that was included in that package was the transmission cooler. To me that was key.

Prior to buying my 2018, I bought a new 2013 off my dealers lot that did not have the class 3 hitch. On my request, the dealer installed the Mopar hitch and wiring harness, but it did not have the factory installed HD electrical, radiator, or transmission cooler. I knew that going in, so I compensated while on the beach by airing down, using 4-Low, and not stressing the tranny in deep sand on a hot day.

Even tho my 2018 does have the transmission cooler, I still take the same precautions to avoid overheating the transmission.

Burning Jeeps are not uncommon on the DE beaches. When the trans fluid boils out of the fill tube, it hits the hot exhaust and the result is always bad. I've noticed the same from some of the NC beach areas I monitor.

Bottom line... Know your vehicle and take precautions as needed. Air down and don't banzai beat on it.
Sponsored

Reactions: AMT

aDragan

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
We used to drive on the beach in Oceano Dunes, California.

A few weeks ago we were in St. Augustine Beach and drove South on the beach. We were at Vilano Beach, St. Augustine Beach, and Crescent Beach within designated areas.
we haven’t done the hole thing, but I was told by friends that have, that this drive on st Augustine beach is 17 miles long if you start at the most northern entrance point and head south. We are in Palm Coast and got the Volusia county beach pass for the year, so we are there more. But we may get the st Augustine pass for next year.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
As mentioned earlier, St. Augustine is close to you and has a 4x4 only beach that is pretty long. Sometimes the sand can get soft/thick and momentum is required to keep going. Most of the beach is one-way only, so be aware and obey that rule. As also mentioned, there are many good local beach side restaurants available.

If I may make a few suggestions.
Running in 4H for long periods of time with the ESC on can result in overheating. The ESC will apply brakes to which ever wheel is slipping and actually slow your momentum while increasing RPM's. Turn off the ESC in soft sand and allow the tires to spin freely.

Airing down. I suggest doing it whether you feel like you need it or not. It provides a larger contact patch and "floats" on the sand, thus preventing the tires from spinning and digging down. One important thing that is never mentioned it will also leave a smaller footprint on the environment. Tread lightly!! With certain groups trying to shut down off road trails, we need to do what we can to leave no trace. Volusia County has been fighting large groups for 20 years who are trying to get the beaches closed to vehicles. I'm not sure how much longer they will stay open, do your part to limit your footprint. If you lower to 15 psi, you can still drive on pavement safely for a short distance to air back up. Or get on board air.

KevinC

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 152993229_10222321056328827_4184618969808409908_o

Last edited:

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Another nod for OBX. I have a 6MT RUBI and find airing down to 18psi and running in 4lo to be best for me. I’m usually cruising at about 35mph in 4-5 gear. Never stuck, but do get nervous in the SUPER soft sand. Probably a good couple hundred miles under my belt…. Avoid ocean water and be sure to rinse off undercarriage after a beach trip. Salt kills. I also fluid film annually as, as another precaution.

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 152993229_10222321056328827_4184618969808409908_o

35mph is flying on sand, hah. Might be a little fast for 4LO.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Padre Island National Seashore outside of Corpus Christi, TX. 60 miles long and it is the longest stretch of undeveloped beach in the country (maybe world). Great for camping (anywhere you want on the beach) and surf fishing. When I go I drive far enough down that there usually isn't anyone else within a couple miles of me.

Head to the north of the Seashore and there are many more miles of beach to be driven through Port Aransas, and other towns.

PINS1.jpg

PINS2.jpg
Was about to ask about pulling a trailer.

Someone may have already mentioned. Padre island Texas has a 60-mile stretch of beach you can drive on. We just came off a trip down there and camped with our trailer at mile 25. Had the place to ourselves. Pulling with my JLURD.

C5179EB7-C232-40DA-8214-10D5AF574F24.jpeg
Now that I know I can pull a trailer, is early October too hot there?

Padre Island National Seashore | DRIVING ON THE BEACH
... the beaches are hard-packed sand, the equivalent of a dirt road.

35mph is flying on sand, hah. Might be a little fast for 4LO.
Even with the Rubicon's 4:1 xfer case, there are plenty of us who routinely hit 50 in low range.

I do not air down my tires.
As soon as I enter the beach, I put her in 4H.
Ignore that and listen to the 10 folks before who know what they're talking about and tell you to air down. Low range is almost always better.

Crystal beach and the Boliver peninsula in Texas.
at least 50 miles of beach you can drive on.
And it's only 5 hours from Padre Island National Seashore. If I'm driving all the way to the Texas coast, might as well hit them both

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 1661325805567

Never had Texas on my wheeling list until now. Been stuck in on the beach near Galveston plenty of times years ago.

Rent a Rubicon next time you come to Hawaii. While you can't drive on the beaches, plenty of fun getting to them.
Lots of good wheeling on Oahu, Kauai, Big Island, and Maui.

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 2022-07-31 12.41.51

Last edited:

Sponsored

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
Hello All
So, I've had my first ever Jeep for 3 months now. Love it.
I live in New Smyrna Beach Florida
I drive on the beach daily (yes almost daily) and love it
From 27th street entrance to Ponce Inlet, it's approximately 5.5 miles of non stop beach
Soft sand at times, that really shows off the 4x4 capabilities
Takes about 35 minutes @ 10mph driving and looking at the sights, stopping intermittently etc
Was wondering if there were other beaches in the US, that have a longer stretch?
Any suggestions?

i
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 2022-07-31 12.41.51
we spend our summers in the pacific NW and we too enjoy beach driving. We have several long beaches available for driving. The longest in our region is

The Long Beach Peninsula is remarkable for its continuous sand beaches on the Pacific Ocean side, 28 miles in extent, claimed to be the longest beach in the United States and the world's largest drivable beach, however is second to Cox's Bazar in Bangladesh.

C976A1AF-690C-4C43-A389-7FF395C89DC4.jpeg

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Whoever said that Padre Island National Seashore is hard packed like a dirt road it only telling a half truth. I was just there this past weekend and drove all 60 miles. It was a mixed bag. 1st 10 miles were hard, drivable in a Honda Civic. After that it was fairly soft the rest of the way to the jetty. For the most part easy driving aired down to 18 psi and in 4H and some of the softer spots would have probably been fine in 2 wheel drive. However there were some spots that were challenging where one could have easily been stuck with no one around to pull you out. We went one 10 mile stretch without seeing another person.

The beach at PINS is always changing and due to remoteness you always need to be prepared for the worst conditions. Getting stuck 50 miles down the beach with no one around to help would be no fun and expensive if you had to get a tow. Of course you would have to find a spot on top of the dune with cell signal to be able to get a tow and that is easier said than done.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OCTOBER WEATHER IS FANTASTIC. HURRICANE SEASON ENDS IN LATE SEPTEMBER. WE HAVE AMAZING WEATHER FROM OCTOBER TO MAY. JUNE GETS A BIT WARM, BUT ON THE BEACH IT'S OK. JULY AND AUGUST ARE PRETTY TOASTY. SEPTEMBER CAN BE OK. TROPICAL STORMS COOL THINGS DOWN.
Amazing report, thanks so much.

YOUR COMMENT ABOUT HARD SAND IS WRONG - some of the beach is hard packed sand, some isn't. And it changes each time we have a storm !!!
That was just a copy and paste from Padre Island National Seashore | DRIVING ON THE BEACH Thanks for correcting them.

IF YOU GET STUCK
- don't panic
- don't spin your tires, it just digs you deeper
- turn off ESC
- try to back up nice and straight ... your car weight just compacted the sand as you drove on it, so backing up usually works.
- if you haven't aired down, now is the time. often this is all it takes.
If you have aired down, air down more. On the sand 10 PSI is fine, you won't break a bead. Most folks don't know how to rock back and forth to get out, so learn how to do that. Over half the recoveries I've done, I was able to rock a baby out. And once you're unstuck, obviously figure out how to get back to hard pack.

When the beach driving is done - wash all the sand and salt off your jeep.
Humid beach air has salt in it. So the ENTIRE jeep will have a layer of salt. The undercarriage is the worst of course.
Wash it again.
When you get home - wash it again
That needs to be bold.

I do a pre clean with Kohree Undercarriage Pressure Washer Cleaner Attachment and finish up by putting my rig on ramps and using a pistol washer. Salty sand will corrode everything very quickly.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Crystal beach and the Boliver peninsula in Texas.
at least 50 miles of beach you can drive on.
Yea dont have too much fun out on Chrystal Beach... fighting a ticket right now for kids standing up in back of Jeep without a seat belt on. Driving 15 mph on on empty beach with hard pack sand. Technically its a road but selective enforcement.

We will be back its a blast and yearly trip for us.
Sponsored