OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Jeep. I live in NSB as well. Moved here about a year ago. Love it so far. Great beach for driving. The side up near the Dunes park gets really soft at times. See lots of cars get stuck but I've never had any issues. I don't let air out of my tires either. Mine has 4H Auto which is what I usually use on the beach. Sometimes I need to switch to 4H Part Time if the sand is really soft.

Did you get a chance to check out Jeep Beach?
Jeep Wave to my fellow New Smyrnan 🖐
It's awesome living here, been here 16 yrs and live 5 blks from beach
Sometimes the sand by the Inlet can be very very soft, which has been awesome "training" for a new Jeeper, like myself.
I've seen plenty of non-4x4's stuck, hence why I just purchased a tow strap, so I could help them, not necessarily for me being stuck
I do use the 4L, but only 2-3 times so far in 3 months and to make sure it actually works and was told to keep the gears functioning/lubricated, etc
I would like to drive on a longer stretch somewhere, looking like South Padre, in the future
Although someone replied about the St Augustine area, thinking of checking that out before Memorial Day weekend
Have a wonderful holiday weekend 👍
Sponsored

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Jeep. I live in NSB as well. Moved here about a year ago. Love it so far. Great beach for driving. The side up near the Dunes park gets really soft at times. See lots of cars get stuck but I've never had any issues. I don't let air out of my tires either. Mine has 4H Auto which is what I usually use on the beach. Sometimes I need to switch to 4H Part Time if the sand is really soft.

Did you get a chance to check out Jeep Beach?
Regarding Jeep Beach
I had several friends who were vendors participating, they drove in from other parts of US
We hung out in various locations away from some of the crowds
It was fun, my fingers were worn out from all the Jeep Waves lol

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I prefer to drive the North Carolina Outer Banks beaches. I like the Hatteras Island stretch the most. From Oregon Inlet down past Cape Hatteras light house there are 30+ miles of different ORV beach access points and even more if you keep going.

To be clear, some stretches of this area are never open to ORV traffic. Also keep in mind you some of these beaches are closed to ORVs during turtle and other wildlife nesting. You can keep going further than I mentioned but I'm unfamiliar with the Friso beaches. Take the ferry over to Ocracoke and you have more beaches to explore. Keep in mind the volume of traffic in some areas are busy.

I know they do get the fishing crowds during certain prime fishing seasons. I avoid prime fishing dates and typically have found plenty of uncrowded beaches to explore.
Go out there and have fun!

Sponsored

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Another nod for OBX. I have a 6MT RUBI and find airing down to 18psi and running in 4lo to be best for me. I’m usually cruising at about 35mph in 4-5 gear. Never stuck, but do get nervous in the SUPER soft sand. Probably a good couple hundred miles under my belt…. Avoid ocean water and be sure to rinse off undercarriage after a beach trip. Salt kills. I also fluid film annually as, as another precaution.

6D63D05F-4E2B-477B-89A9-40BBDE01B389.jpeg

8609D902-F428-462D-BAD8-5DE62632096D.jpeg

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Any special permits needed to take your vehicle on the beach at Assateague?
Yah, if memory serves you need a pass to the National park as well as the ORV pass. Not sure what the $$ is for those this year.
Would be nice if there was a single park service ORV permit that worked everywhere but oh well…..

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Delaware Seashore State Park runs from Broadkill Beach south to the MD state line. It is not contiguous beach as there are inlets and other waterways that are within the park system. There are also areas set aside as walk-on swimming beaches and several seaside towns who do not allow drive-on access.

The park system does a pretty good job of maintaining drive-on access areas for surf fishing, tho an annual pass is required for drive-on access. Air stations are also provided at the park drive-on access areas.

https://destateparks.com/Beaches/DelawareSeashore

The sand can be very soft and dry (especially in summer) and it is recommended that a Wrangler air down factory tires to about 18psi (from the factory 36) for best results.
If you do not have a factory tow package which would include HD electrical, cooling, and a transmission cooler, it is recommended that you use 4Low so as not to overheat the transmission.

Every season we see multiple Wranglers who are pushed hard in the heat and soft sand, and their transmissions overheat and puke tranny fluid on to the exhaust manifold resulting in a total loss car-b-que.
You would be surprised at the number of people who don't even realize they don't have a transmission cooler. They assume that if they have a tow hitch that they have the factory tow package when that hitch was a dealer installed option and did not come with the complete tow package. It is a common mistake.

IMG_1238.jpeg

Sponsored

ElGuapo

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I can't speak to Big Shell Beach but Longest drivable beach in the US is.... Yep, Long Beach, Washington according to multiple sources. About 20mi.

https://arbusa.com/five-drivable-west-coast-beaches/

I'm guessing the criteria is continuous beach and legal? A lot of fun to drive in the summer. Kite festivals, Sand Castle competitions, Clamming, and campfires if you ever come up to the NW corner of our amazing country.
I drove this beach not too long ago and it's amazing. Ocean Shores a bit up state is also very lovely but not near as long. This is the reason I bought a Jeep :D

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel
Someone may have already mentioned. Padre island Texas has a 60-mile stretch of beach you can drive on. We just came off a trip down there and camped with our trailer at mile 25. Had the place to ourselves. Pulling with my JLURD.

C5179EB7-C232-40DA-8214-10D5AF574F24.jpeg

Asunisloe

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU DIESEL
Silver lake sand dunes in mi, awesome ORV park with plenty to do.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
The sand can be very soft and dry (especially in summer) and it is recommended that a Wrangler air down factory tires to about 18psi (from the factory 36) for best results.
If you do not have a factory tow package which would include HD electrical, cooling, and a transmission cooler, it is recommended that you use 4Low so as not to overheat the transmission.

Every season we see multiple Wranglers who are pushed hard in the heat and soft sand, and their transmissions overheat and puke tranny fluid on to the exhaust manifold resulting in a total loss car-b-que.
You would be surprised at the number of people who don't even realize they don't have a transmission cooler. They assume that if they have a tow hitch that they have the factory tow package when that hitch was a dealer installed option and did not come with the complete tow package. It is a common mistake.

IMG_1238.jpeg
I am in this boat and wonder if you can elaborate further on the highlighted above.
Have a 2021 JLUR that is bone stock for a Rubicon; no tow package (but wish I did) or anything else. From what I have read previously the tow package has the hitch, wiring connectors, AUX switches, HD electrical (which I thought was the bigger battery and bigger 240 alternator). I also believe the Rubicon has a 220 alternator (instead of the 160 on the sport and some other trims), so only 20 amp difference.
Have never read or heard about anything about a transmission cooler or other cooling equipment. Do you know the difference about that specifically in the tow vs. no-tow packages on the Wrangler? I believe I read there was a big difference on Cherokees or something for the mentioned (cooling) equipment but hadn't heard about it on Wranglers. Any insight is appreciated 👍
Sponsored