Driving on the Beach

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Any tips for first-timers for beach driving? Love crescent beach but witnessed people getting stuck in the sand there a couple years ago. Canā€™t wait to take my new ride to the beach.
Carry a shovel, a board to put your jack on, a tow strap, and a fire extinguisher. A winch or a hi-lift can be useful in a pinch. Air down. Stay out of the waves šŸ¤£

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Had a blast last September in the Outer Banks. Stayed in Kill Devil Hills, but drove up to Corolla a couple days. Parked up at the Virginia state line and only saw a handful of vehicles all day. IIRC itā€™s a 40 minute or so beach drive from the beach entry point to the state line. Hope to get back there again this Fall.

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach A7E99EF4-E43F-4F79-BE04-7BE9C60B9231
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 6AC19427-61E5-4D04-A833-BE58F992F706

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Hello All
So, I've had my first ever Jeep for 3 months now. Love it.
I live in New Smyrna Beach Florida
I drive on the beach daily (yes almost daily) and love it
From 27th street entrance to Ponce Inlet, it's approximately 5.5 miles of non stop beach
Soft sand at times, that really shows off the 4x4 capabilities
Takes about 35 minutes @ 10mph driving and looking at the sights, stopping intermittently etc
Was wondering if there were other beaches in the US, that have a longer stretch?
Any suggestions?
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 6AC19427-61E5-4D04-A833-BE58F992F706
Do you air down your tires?

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
double J and 6th floor are on the right track. In NC it is just which beach you decide to pay for, from north to south the list of o:
Corolla/Corova to VA border -may require a pass to park
Kitty Hawk/Nags Head pass for a narrow beach in -winter pass only
OBX Rodanthe to Ocracoke(requires ferry) 50ish miles of trails spread over a dozen paths -pass
Core Banks Cape Lookout(ferries) -pass
Emrald Isle Atlantic Beach non resident -pass is cost prohibitive
Carolina Beach Freeman(1 mile) and Ft Fisher(13 miles) -2 separate beach passes
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 1653484612476

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on the Beach 4636B6B5-7B37-4AF5-8582-055212F0A50C

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Any tips for first-timers for beach driving? Love crescent beach but witnessed people getting stuck in the sand there a couple years ago. Canā€™t wait to take my new ride to the beach.
Air down to 18psi-20psi, not only does help you ā€œfloatā€ on top of the sand it makes it easier on your transmission. Good idea to have a shovel, maxtraxx or old pieces of carpet to put under your tires in case you get stuck.

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Do you air down your tires?
I do not air down my tires.
As soon as I enter the beach, I put her in 4H.
I've never driven a true 4x4 before, so I have no reference on what it's going to feel like
It's more than capable enough to handle any soft sand I've encountered. It feels different when turning, but I absolutely have no fear of being stuck...ever.
I've also stopped, switched to N, the applied the 4L feature. To be honest, I didn't enjoy how it felt in 4L and only did so for approximately 5-10 mins @ 5mph
Was told by several other Jeepers, keep doing what I'm doing in 4H and have fun
Hope this helps

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, also beach driving tip: put your tow strap under the passenger seat. Not in the cargo tub, under the floor, under all your stuff in the trunk. That way when u help someone out you wont have to unpack the whole vehicle.
I actually purchased a tow strap from Amazon as well
It's actually tucked into the back of my front seat covers and will be used only in emergencies for other folks...lol

Sponsored

Punk'nVulpine

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Occupation
Motion Graphic Artist
The 2 locations I know of are both out of South Padre Island in Texas.

First is the Brazos Island State Park (which is where Space X launches its rockets from). You can drive 7.4 miles from the Rio Grande to inlet of Padre Island. Fun drive, but there are a lot of people because it is a state park and its where Space X is.

The other is the north of South Padre Island. You can drive from the town north for 28.7 miles until there is an impassable inlet. This is a great place to drive if you want to get away from other people! It gets remote.

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
Hello All
So, I've had my first ever Jeep for 3 months now. Love it.
I live in New Smyrna Beach Florida
I drive on the beach daily (yes almost daily) and love it
From 27th street entrance to Ponce Inlet, it's approximately 5.5 miles of non stop beach
Soft sand at times, that really shows off the 4x4 capabilities
Takes about 35 minutes @ 10mph driving and looking at the sights, stopping intermittently etc
Was wondering if there were other beaches in the US, that have a longer stretch?
Any suggestions?
20220522_103437.jpg
Nice Jeep. I live in NSB as well. Moved here about a year ago. Love it so far. Great beach for driving. The side up near the Dunes park gets really soft at times. See lots of cars get stuck but I've never had any issues. I don't let air out of my tires either. Mine has 4H Auto which is what I usually use on the beach. Sometimes I need to switch to 4H Part Time if the sand is really soft.

Did you get a chance to check out Jeep Beach?

Last edited:

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2 locations I know of are both out of South Padre Island in Texas.

First is the Brazos Island State Park (which is where Space X launches its rockets from). You can drive 7.4 miles from the Rio Grande to inlet of Padre Island. Fun drive, but there are a lot of people because it is a state park and its where Space X is.

The other is the north of South Padre Island. You can drive from the town north for 28.7 miles until there is an impassable inlet. This is a great place to drive if you want to get away from other people! It gets remote.
on the other side of that inlet is the south end of the Padre Island National Seashore (North Padre). It is 60 miles of totally undeveloped drivable beach. Once you hit the sticks on the north end there are a few miles that you can't drive on because it is the day use area of the Seashore. After the north boundary of the Seashore there are many more miles more of drivable beach through Port Aransas and other towns.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not air down my tires.
As soon as I enter the beach, I put her in 4H.
I've never driven a true 4x4 before, so I have no reference on what it's going to feel like
It's more than capable enough to handle any soft sand I've encountered. It feels different when turning, but I absolutely have no fear of being stuck...ever.
I've also stopped, switched to N, the applied the 4L feature. To be honest, I didn't enjoy how it felt in 4L and only did so for approximately 5-10 mins @ 5mph
Was told by several other Jeepers, keep doing what I'm doing in 4H and have fun
Hope this helps
you probably don't need to air down there because the sand is so compacted but trust me there are other beaches with much softer sand that if you don't air down you may get stuck or overheat your transmission. If you are going to be traveling through soft sand for any distance that is the time to air down

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
you probably don't need to air down there because the sand is so compacted but trust me there are other beaches with much softer sand that if you don't air down you may get stuck or overheat your transmission. If you are going to be traveling through soft sand for any distance that is the time to air down
Will definitely keep that in mind as I explore other beaches, etc
Much appreciated šŸ‘
Sponsored