Drained Battery, Any jumpstart tips??

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUR 2018 JLU Sahara
Ok, so I had something drawing juice plugged into my rear power outlet and this morning i went to go start the jeep and nothing. doors didnt even unlock.

Bought a jumpstart kit from WalMart and it at least got my interior power and locks working but didn't have enough juice to jump the jeep..
Called roadside assistance and tried to have them jump it and no dice.

Do i need to jump the smaller aux battery instead?
any advice would be helpful.
thanks in advance
Sponsored

OP
OP

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have experience removing the main battery and jumping the AUX battery?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RadicalMatt

The JL will not start if the ESS/Aux battery is depleted. This is the case even if the JL's main battery is fully charged.

I do not believe the JL responds to "Jump Starting" like many other vehicles would.

The JL needs to see the ESS/Aux battery actually charged to a certain level before it will start. As I mentioned the JL will not start even if main battery is charged if your ESS/Aux battery is depleted past a certain point.

So, if you take a regular battery charger or a trickle charger, attach to the JL and give it ample time to charge, both the Main and ESS battery will come up to a full charge in time. Once the ESS is charged enough the JL should start.

See, when you use your Jump Start Kit, the JL is never seeing the ESS/Aux battery charged and thus it will not start.

In closing.... Using a regular battery charger or trickle charger, charge the same old way as with other vehicles. Use pos and neg main battery connections points to hook the charger to. Do this and both batteries will charge. Allow ample time for charging and again, both the Main and Aux battery will charge. When the ESS battery itself, is charged enough you should see the JL start.

Note: You can separate out the ESS/Aux battery for charging....but reality is you want both batteries fully charged since you depleted both of them as you mentioned.

You can lets call it break out and charge just the ESS/Aux battery by connecting your battery charger or battery trickle charger to ground and the N5 terminal (N5 is ESS batteries pos) and charge just the ESS battery but again, you really want both batteries properly charged.

For the record, I believe the above info I have given you is spot on. I have come up with this info after lots of research. Let us know how you make out. By the way, if you have blown a high amp fuse (one that resides in PDC) you may still find the JL not starting after you charge the batteries.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have experience removing the main battery and jumping the AUX battery?
@RadicalMatt

Not sure if it will get the JL running but from what I have read, you can connect directly to the ESS/Aux battery using N5 (N5 resides on the side of the PDC) as mentioned above. You could do this in regard to your jump start attempt. Will the jump get the vehicle started. You tell me.

Reality is, you eventually, must get the ESS/Aux battery up to the proper charge level or your JL will just keep not wanting to start.

For the record, I am not encouraging you to jump start as mentioned.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I have been curious if you put a set of jumper cables using the standard procedure and also adding a jumper between the positive battery terminal and the PDC AUX batter N5.

No way am I encouraging this.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been curious if you put a set of jumper cables using the standard procedure and also adding a jumper between the positive battery terminal and the PDC AUX batter N5.

No way am I encouraging this.
@mazeppa

Why would you do this? Makes no sense to me.....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this would jump the two drained batters from a single source. the jumper from the positive terminal to N5 would only be temporary while jumping.
@mazeppa

Not sure if you read my earlier post. Take the Main battery out of the quotient. It is only the ESS/Aux battery that does the starting. Main can actually be depleted and JL will start. IF you are going to jump start (who knows if it will jump start) you would just jump the Ess/Aux, using N5 (pos) and neg..

Remember, jump starting may get it running but you turn it off after a jump start and undoubtedly it will not restart again. ESS/Aux battery has to be charged ... charged properly. A jump does not charge the battery. AND, don't say jump and then drive and it will charge as that thought is wrong.

You deplete the battery(s) you need to properly bring up charge level or you are asking for issues down the road a bit.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You won't need any JUMPERS, they're already hooked in PARALLEL=

The "Trickle Charger" hookup, works as stated--

Even though we've been told for years to only use batteries OF THE SAME TYPE/SIZE in parallel--this is different-

Just hookup charge as you have in the past-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've personally tried to jump like normal and had 2 roadside ppl come out (luckily it's in my driveway) and none of them could jump it :(

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RadicalMatt

Get yourself a charger and charge it. Regardless of whether or not you can successfuly jump it you still must fully charge the two batteries anyway..

Pretty simple to do. Buy an inexpensive charger and let the JL charge.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What did you have connected that was able to drain the batteries in a single night?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So by hooking up jumper cables in the typical fashion, you cannot start a JL? What?

How does the computer know that the 12+ volts coming in is coming from another vehicle battery and not its own vehicle battery? What does it care, as long as it's getting the voltage?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So by hooking up jumper cables in the typical fashion, you cannot start a JL? What?

How does the computer know that the 12+ volts coming in is coming from another vehicle battery and not its own vehicle battery? What does it care, as long as it's getting the voltage?
It seems that the main battery terminals do not directly connect to the starter, you could jump start a JL based on this by just waiting longer to attempt a start.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
You won't need any JUMPERS, they're already hooked in PARALLEL=

The "Trickle Charger" hookup, works as stated--

Even though we've been told for years to only use batteries OF THE SAME TYPE/SIZE in parallel--this is different-

Just hookup charge as you have in the past-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

The two batteries are in parallel when ignition is OFF, and you can trickle charge as normal when OFF, when you push the start button they are then independent circuits.
Sponsored