Sponsored

Doors off/electrical harness - is this normal???

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sometime in November, I noticed my automatic locks weren’t working in the vehicle. They worked with the fob or proximity system. I guess the last time I pulled my doors somewhere in October the harness pins wore out.
My dealership had to reorder the harnesses for both front doors. They finally came in this week and sorry OP but my dealership (Larchmont Chrysler Jeep) did it under warranty. They’re a great service dept.
Anyway, I said to the service manager “I love to pull my doors and hope I’m not discouraged from doing it”. He said “the Jeep’s designed for the doors to come off, use it at your leisure “. (Which is what I wanted to hear).
I’m definitely going to take an extra minute on each side when disconnecting/connecting the harness in the future just to make sure everything is straight so as to hopefully not have this happen again.
One question for you guys. Do you think it would be wise when the doors are off next Spring to lightly shoot the end of the harness that comes off with the door with a dry lube? It’s liquidy but would be dry by the time I reinstall the doors. I’m wondering if this would make the plug and connectors seat easier.
I wouldn’t spray it with anything...at least not the contact areas. The only spot that may make it easier to feel the reassembly is on the white cam areas and the post that move in the cam slot. Me, I’d spray it on a Qtip swab and use tha to apply it to only those areas.

Maybe try one side to see if it helps for comparison.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Sometime in November, I noticed my automatic locks weren’t working in the vehicle. They worked with the fob or proximity system. I guess the last time I pulled my doors somewhere in October the harness pins wore out.
My dealership had to reorder the harnesses for both front doors. They finally came in this week and sorry OP but my dealership (Larchmont Chrysler Jeep) did it under warranty. They’re a great service dept.
Anyway, I said to the service manager “I love to pull my doors and hope I’m not discouraged from doing it”. He said “the Jeep’s designed for the doors to come off, use it at your leisure “. (Which is what I wanted to hear).
I’m definitely going to take an extra minute on each side when disconnecting/connecting the harness in the future just to make sure everything is straight so as to hopefully not have this happen again.
One question for you guys. Do you think it would be wise when the doors are off next Spring to lightly shoot the end of the harness that comes off with the door with a dry lube? It’s liquidy but would be dry by the time I reinstall the doors. I’m wondering if this would make the plug and connectors seat easier.
Man must be nice! My dealer and Jeep Cares told me to pound sand!

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
Mine is going into the dealer for this tomorrow. Took doors off once and reinstalled and pins are bent and can’t get them to mate properly after a few attempts. The Jeep is 1 month old and has 500 miles on it. Dealer better fix it with a smile on their face.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Did I destroy this? I just pulled it out and this happened? Now every 5 minutes with fronts off it says "Not in Park":

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 3.03.33 PM.png
Yeah that connector seems like a break waiting to happen. I try my best to minimize how often i have to touch that thing., Thus I leave my doors off from may to October.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Well since we are talking about doors off hazards. Don't belike me. I called myself putting up a set of ARC hangers so that I could mount my doors in the garage. It was all good last year, this year I went to hang my doors. I turned my back and walked away. Got about 30ft away and heard a loud crash. The board that i had 2 of the hangers mounted to came loose and dropped to the floor. Estimate was 3k to fix my front passenger door. Anybody know where I can get a used from door (any color).

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Well since we are talking about doors off hazards. Don't belike me. I called myself putting up a set of ARC hangers so that I could mount my doors in the garage. It was all good last year, this year I went to hang my doors. I turned my back and walked away. Got about 30ft away and heard a loud crash. The board that i had 2 of the hangers mounted to came loose and dropped to the floor. Estimate was 3k to fix my front passenger door. Anybody know where I can get a used from door (any color).
Damn, sorry buddy

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Try car-part.com. Searches junkyards for parts.

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
Man must be nice! My dealer and Jeep Cares told me to pound sand!
Posted this on another thread but following up here as well:

Got my Jeep back today after being in the shop for 3 days because of this. They said they were doing me a favor and covering the “re-pinning repair” under warranty even though the paperwork shows a TSB mentioned meaning they know this is a common issue.

The worry I have is that the pins may be fine now but the female side of the connector has some deformities in the plastic that guides the pins into place. And the whole connection has way too much play for the zero tolerance needed for the pins to line up perfectly male to female.

The techs had gone home for the day when I picked it up but im going to go back and have one of them unplug and plug it back in front of me so I can show them the female end deformities and see if they can successfully plug it back in repeatedly. I’ll watch their technique.

1A167597-DAAA-41CB-9233-BA4AEB2EDD4E.jpeg

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Maybe it's beginners luck for me, this is my first Jeep, but no problems disconnecting/re-connecting the wire harnesses... My only issue has been forgetting to unplug the rear connectors before trying to hoist the top up to my garage ceiling... yikes...
I solved that problem. I remove the top so often that now I just leave that rear connector permanently disconnected. I don't really miss using the rear window wiper and spray and it saves the wear and tear on that connector every time I pull the roof.
Sponsored