Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
First Jeep, had it since November. I was looking forward to stripping it down and doing as much top-down, doors off driving as possible in the nicer months, bought some mirrors and am ready to go. I've had the doors off twice now and the problem is the wind effects. I basically can't go anywhere from my house without getting on roads that you'd typically drive 50+ MPH. So of course I expected some 'wind in your hair' type stuff, but first time out, the wind got so bad it felt like my hat was going to blow off. So OK, I thought I wore the wrong hat, need a tighter hat. I have one so I'll wear that one. Next time out, with the tighter hat, wind felt like it would blow that one off too, and even it was so bad it felt like my eye-glasses were going to blow too. So I'm driving down the road, sitting on my hat holding my eyeglasses with one hand, steering with the other, manual transmission - that's a no go. To be fair, they both were somewhat windy days, but still. So is that how it goes, you really can't do those speeds without the doors? Or was it just bad weather for it, keep trying? Thanks for your advice.
Try driving naked, it helps me.

We have a 4 door and sunglasses no problem. Hat... if a cross wind hits me it will tweak a little. Could be that you have a 2 door model, an Alien shade may help as well. Having a Jeep and not taking your doors and top off... I'll never get it. Embrace it, it's a Jeep. Not stripping it down is like getting Neapolitan ice cream and only eating the vanilla.
Sponsored

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
First Jeep, had it since November. I was looking forward to stripping it down and doing as much top-down, doors off driving as possible in the nicer months, bought some mirrors and am ready to go. I've had the doors off twice now and the problem is the wind effects. I basically can't go anywhere from my house without getting on roads that you'd typically drive 50+ MPH. So of course I expected some 'wind in your hair' type stuff, but first time out, the wind got so bad it felt like my hat was going to blow off. So OK, I thought I wore the wrong hat, need a tighter hat. I have one so I'll wear that one. Next time out, with the tighter hat, wind felt like it would blow that one off too, and even it was so bad it felt like my eye-glasses were going to blow too. So I'm driving down the road, sitting on my hat holding my eyeglasses with one hand, steering with the other, manual transmission - that's a no go. To be fair, they both were somewhat windy days, but still. So is that how it goes, you really can't do those speeds without the doors? Or was it just bad weather for it, keep trying? Thanks for your advice.
Wear your cap backward. It's a, "Jeep Thing". Don't neglect to wave at other Wrangler riders.

That said, and to show a little empathy, over time you will sort-out when to go "naked" and when to resent the highway. When I'm easing around town doors off and top-down make me the center of envy. The Spyderwebshade (and, similar products) really does help a lot. But look... I'm the guy that is laughing in downpours, (thank goodness for drain plugs and interiors that don't mildew), so it's all about perspective.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I took the doors and the top off today, temperature was around 85°. I noticed my AC wasn't cooling the cabin as before. Should I be concerned? Take it to the dealer maybe? Would this be covered by the warranty?
Pffft... you clearly didn't opt for the invisible force field option. It keeps the cool in and the wind out.

Gungan_Shield.png

Resheaanne

First Name
Reshea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler
I’ve lost a nice pair of sunglasses with the top and doors off on the highway before. Needless to say it was an expensive lesson. I now carry earplugs, a tight hat and take my glasses off while driving. It’s worth it though!

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
It's a Jeep Thing. Waiting for warmer weather here...can't wait to fold windshield.

Sponsored

HardRockSteele67

First Name
Kutt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Eng.
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say this, but what do you expect with the top and all doors off. I mean there is going to be some serious wind if you are heading down the freeway as you are totally exposed. I love it- the open feel-have the 8.4 Alpine stereo and blasting some VH.

4D07698C-2979-4E26-9C0F-7B62697CD0B0.jpeg
where did you get that mirror??

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
Of course I knew there would be wind, just more than I expected. Don’t know how that’s so funny.

Even before I bought a Jeep, I’d always see Jeeps going by on the nicest summer days with the tops on windows rolled up A/c on and I’d think what’s wrong with those people, why would they not at least have the top down, why buy a Jeep then?? Most are hardtops so those look like a PIA to go off & on etc. and more rare to see them with the doors off.

So, with only two nice days to try this with more or less the same results, I was wondering if doors off was really only workable at lower speeds/Offroad.

My only dumbness was not really thinking through or realizing how a strong crosswind would blow through at a multiplied effect. That and posting a question about it here.
Dave,

Most are just busting your chops. There have been plenty of times it was just too windy for doors off. Dummy me sent my wife on a 40 mile round trip to her hairdresser telling her it would be fine. I still hear about it 7 years later.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Jeepncontry

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKU Oscar Mike
Vehicle Showcase
I wear a hat every day all day. I always wear an adjustable one in the Jeep with the doors off and at higher speeds I put it around the shifter

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
All of this talk has me itching to take the top and doors off, put my Wisconsin Badgers hat on backwards, and tell my wife and kids to shut up, hold on, and quit talking because I can't hear them anyway.

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
The Jeep Wrangler is designed so the doors can come off. That seems to be a big advantage to many folks but when someone starts a thread to discuss wind affects at speed he gets hammered. I don't get why. It seems like many folks are just waiting in the wings for someone to ask a question they don't get and instead of moving on they feel compelled to belittle the OP. That is unfortunate to see on an otherwise great forum.

As a non-Jeep owner I found the question to be legitimate and the reasoned responses helpful. Discussing the reality of the doors off, especially at speed, and the effects of doing so is a topic I found interesting. Thanks to the OP for posting!

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
The Jeep Wrangler is designed so the doors can come off. That seems to be a big advantage to many folks but when someone starts a thread to discuss wind affects at speed he gets hammered. I don't get why. It seems like many folks are just waiting in the wings for someone to ask a question they don't get and instead of moving on they feel compelled to belittle the OP. That is unfortunate to see on an otherwise great forum.

As a non-Jeep owner I found the question to be legitimate and the reasoned responses helpful. Discussing the reality of the doors off, especially at speed, and the effects of doing so is a topic I found interesting. Thanks to the OP for posting!
Yep, got all the answers I need, could probably stop answering now, I get it. Doors will be off this summer, everything’s fine...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dave,

Most are just busting your chops. There have been plenty of times it was just too windy for doors off. Dummy me sent my wife on a 40 mile round trip to her hairdresser telling her it would be fine. I still hear about it 7 years later.
Funny thing is when it is windy it's the best time to take the top and doors of from the perspective of how a Jeep drives like a sail boat in the wind. With top and doors off the wind blows right through :)

d6c5f76c3be8cf1fba724e460fb86335.jpg

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
If someone is in an accident with the doors off, will justify being airlifted to the hospital?
Sponsored