Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I think you’re right. They were definitely over-torqued and painted over though.
Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry Russ, I didn't notice...but I sure felt as though there was! What steps did you go with?

My final questions promise. Is there any issues with the square corners of the step fitting into the rounded recess of the door hinge?

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
My final questions promise. Is there any issues with the square corners of the step fitting into the rounded recess of the door hinge?
I have had no issues at all. I have an older model and I’m not sure about some of the newer ones but I’d imagine they’d be improved.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry Russ, I didn't notice...but I sure felt as though there was! What steps did you go with?

Smitty Built Atlas, Installed them today. Thanks to your advice and being patient it helped me a lot. No problems with the OE bolts. I tapped the torx t-50 in with a hammer to get a good seating. Used a 1/2" breaker bar stepped down to the 3/8" torx - came off very little effort. Thanks again.

Added a @SPIDERWEBSHADE JLkini too!

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
Any body know where I can get a set of Kargo Master door hinge steps? I just need the frames and not the fold down step. Looks like they have been discontinued.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Not to wake the dead here but does anyone know the weight limit for these steps? I like the concept and would definitely appreciate these when accessing my roof rack, but my ass isn't as light as it used to be and I don't want to risk bending/warping the hinges.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE

Sponsored

Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler
Do you know if that is based on the step hardware the hinge hardware?

FWIW I love your stuff and proudly installed your lift on my last rig, your quality is valued and appreciated.
Thanks for the complement. I'm fairly certain that load rating is based on the step hardware since we're selling it as a step.

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
I'm attempting the step install and ran into the torx screw issue...using a breaker I stripped the torx head and drilled the screw for an extractor, broke the cheap extractor and they are stupid hard to drill out...used a carbide burr to grind it out and it finally loosened...trying an impact wrench and still unable to loosen 3 out of 8 torx screws and the T-47 bit did not at all like the impact wrench...ordered up several new (and hopefully better quality) torx bits...

Jeep Wrangler JL Door Hinge Steps 20220115_113711

Jeep Wrangler JL Door Hinge Steps 20220115_113658

I saw no thread sealer/loctite on the screw threads so I'm going with the over torque/paint sealing reason why the screws won't loosen when the install torque is only supposed to be about 20-25 ft lbs...I'm going to try and loosen the paint seam with a razor blade, I'm not sure about what heat might do to the surrounding paint finish...maybe I'll try the heat gun thing...

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
Tried using heat from a heat gun and boom, torx screw loosened using the torx T-47 socket on a plain old rachet.

Actt1988

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Research, read, check forums, get proper tools and then reread and check forums for updates and then put away some time and enjoy wrenching on your Jeep. That was the plan but then this happened.

One side on and rounding the bases to finish her off....damn stripped screw. Took my time too and then of course the Jeep gods cursed me again nothin is easy young man.

Anyone got ideas on how to get this screw out? Retap it, drill it out with another screw? Just need some input to get a different perspective.

Can I please know how did you remove it? I have the same problem, I tried to use an screw extractor and I brake inside of it, 😩

IMG_4136.jpeg
Sponsored