Don't say it!

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I wondered if anyone here "turns wood"? I bought some blanks and they are covered in Parafin wax (designed to come off when turned) and I have no way of turning...So all that to ask this, how do I remove wax without damaging blanks AND, how do I know when the blanks are usable (cured)?
P.s.
I know this says jeep forum, it's also a huge gathering of TOOL users, thought I might get lucky, thanks!
Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
They are usable now and have been kiln dried. The wax is there to keep them from absorbing moisture until turned and finished.
As far as removing the wax, you could try sanding but it is going to be in the pores to some extent.

Why did you buy blanks if you do not turn?

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
They are usable now and have been kiln dried. The wax is there to keep them from absorbing moisture until turned and finished.
As far as removing the wax, you could try sanding but it is going to be in the pores to some extent.

Why did you buy blanks if you do not turn?

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
To use as cross braces for the footing of a stitching horse, the bench is only 10" at the base, a full saddle skirt will be too top heavy to stay upright while I work. Appreciate the input, just didn't want $60.00 worth of pretty firewood, lol.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
You could trim the blank perhaps a 1/16 on a table saw to remove the wax.

Sponsored

Mike Venezia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape
The wax is to keep the moisture in the wood. Wax is removed with a card or cabinet scraper.
The blanks should be used as soon as the wax is removed. Once the wax is removed the air will dry out the wood - and cracks will start to show. Which is normal.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How big are the blanks? Will it fit in an oven? I've used low heat to remove cosmoline.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I made this once, it's an acrylic. I did make a really cool wood one as well but someone stole it. Woodcraft has awesome classes, the classes make great gifts too! Very unique.
Jeep Wrangler JL Don't say it! IMG_3663

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
How big are the blanks? Will it fit in an oven? I've used low heat to remove cosmoline.
Thanks all, appreciated, will try scraping it off, I read if I keep the wax on the ends, I shouldn't get cracks so big the blanks become unstable/unusable.

Sponsored