Does windshield protection film work?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Since theres already $300 worth of tint on my windshield Itll cost me a lot more than just a replacement windshield if I got a rock chip in it. Anyone have experience with windshield protector films?
Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Assuming you mean this? https://racingopticsjeep.com/

I am going to order this the second I decide to finally buy my Jeep. We use it in racing and their products are pretty damn top notch so I am curious to see how well it works on a windshield given the likelihood of catching rocks and getting cracks =/

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
This sounds like an interesting product. I'd be interested to know how it works in the real world too.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I was interested in putting this on my JL for my 15,000 mile trip up to AK from Maine this coming summer but was concerned about the many miles of unpaved roads I would be travelling with mud and rain and wipers. I posted this question on a couple of International Overlanding sites and it was not encouraged. So, I simply lowered my Comprehensive coverage to $50 deductible and discarded the notion.

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

I'm using this shield and few weeks ago something hit the windshield really hard, I think it nicked it but I cant really tell if the imperfection is in the shield or if it got to the glass. Haven't taking it off yet to confirm. I think that if I didn't have that thing installed I would have needed a new windshield. But I will update you guys here in a week when I take the shield off to examine the glass.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
This is a must where i live (Kuwait).. we have extremely horrible roads. you get bombed with all kinds of rocks on the highway. it's so bad sometimes that even side windows get rock-chips.

i have been running windshield protection film on my jeep for 2 years now and i have zero rock-chips .. keep in mind harsh weather condition and usage of wipers alot will ruin the film (gets delaminated) within 6 to 12 months.. but it's totally worth it since i don't like replacing windshields.

i have tested multiple brands over the years on all my vehicles and none of them survive delamination more than 1 year.

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Assuming you mean this? https://racingopticsjeep.com/

I am going to order this the second I decide to finally buy my Jeep. We use it in racing and their products are pretty damn top notch so I am curious to see how well it works on a windshield given the likelihood of catching rocks and getting cracks =/
There's a whole other thread on this. I've had mine on for almost a year and I've had two hits that I'm fairly certain would have cracked the windshield. I may need to peel one layer this fall.

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
This is a must where i live (Kuwait).. we have extremely horrible roads. you get bombed with all kinds of rocks on the highway. it's so bad sometimes that even side windows get rock-chips.

i have been running windshield protection film on my jeep for 2 years now and i have zero rock-chips .. keep in mind harsh weather condition and usage of wipers alot will ruin the film (gets delaminated) within 6 to 12 months.. but it's totally worth it since i don't like replacing windshields.

i have tested multiple brands over the years on all my vehicles and none of them survive delamination more than 1 year.
What brand do you find works best?

Sponsored

domingjm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Subscribed and wanted to follow up on this. Anyone else have a preferred brand of windshield protection? First windshield crack today after three weeks 🙄.

JPSJR70

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am having it installed on my ‘22 JL Rubicon and all I have to say is do it! Have it on my other vehicles and I’m very happy with the results. Had it done along with PPF and Modesta Ceramic Coating. Pics coming soon…

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have the Racing optics on my JLR now and have for the last two years! I live in New England and we get lots of snow and salt and sand and none of it has effected how it protects the windshield! Who ever posted that the windshield wipers scratch it.. is completely wrong...they have no effect on it's clarity and they have not scratched mine. The tear away... which is what I have has three layers of laminate and you peel it away every 6 or so months when it starts to show dings or scuffs. I had it on for a year before peeling the first. I have no affiliation with them, I am just singing their praises because they have a great product! I went through three windshields and the last one I decided there had to be a better way. Then I read a post of someone who had used this product and they liked it. So I purchased it. The owner is Chris and his customer service is top notch. I will def be a repeat customer for life. Really Great product!!!

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

I'm using this shield and few weeks ago something hit the windshield really hard, I think it nicked it but I cant really tell if the imperfection is in the shield or if it got to the glass. Haven't taking it off yet to confirm. I think that if I didn't have that thing installed I would have needed a new windshield. But I will update you guys here in a week when I take the shield off to examine the glass.
This matches my experience as well. I've been happy with it.
Sponsored