Sponsored

Does usb2 work for anything other then charging?

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
Have a question that hopefully some one can answer. I upgraded my uconnect to a 8.4 with nav from uconnect 3 five inch. My usb 2 ( the one in the center console) will only charge phone. The system doesn't seem to recognize it as a media source and android auto doesn't work either. Don't think I ever plugged anything into with old radio so not sure if it worked before. Did I miss something? If this has been subject of another thread I apologise. Any information appreciated.

Thanks jeepers
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MouldyEgg

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
Thanks for the response. I read the post looks like I maybe s.o.l. tried the f11 fuse pull didn't work. Any other suggestions appreciated.

OP
OP
MouldyEgg

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
Update I checked with my son and he indicated the the usb 2 never worked as media device so must be a usb 2 issue. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There are many posts on this issue, When I first got my JLR I was using that one to primarily connect so that the cord would not be draped across the rig(I have a manual so that thing would be a pain) It worked for a while then after a few weeks it would kick me off. I would pull the plug and reinsert to the iphone and it would reconnect and be fine. I have a half hour sometimes 45 minute commute and it started to get to the point that even when I would reconnect it would not recognize. So I started to plug into the one in the dash and it has worked flawlessly. The reason I stated that there have been many posts is because one member noticed his armrest light would flicker now and again and he figured that it could be linked to his phone not connecting using this usb. He took it to the dealer they replaced the wiring and low and behold the usb worked. So I guess take it to the dealer if you really want it to work...I didn't care enough since there was the dash one and now I just run the wire in the gap of the seat cushion to keep it away from shifting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MouldyEgg

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
I am out of warranty period and with upgrade to 8.4 dealer will most likely blame me. Dealers near me suck! Thanks for your thoughts

ENadeau

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I went from the 7” to the 8.4” and lost the ability to use CarPlay on USB2. With the 7” it worked no problem. I even reinstalled the 7” to test and it started working again.

There have been several threads around this issue and a lot of us have come to the conclusion that there’s an issue with the 8.4 software stack, depending on what version you’re on.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I use USB2 for my media port. There is a thumb drive stuck in it from the day I got it in March of 18. Still going strong. :)
Me too. Thumb drive with about 3000 songs on it, great to have for on the road. But I have had not issue with mine either.

OP
OP
MouldyEgg

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
Thanks for all the responses I guess I will just continue to usb 1.

Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Thinking since it hasn't worked since new, pulling the console and making sure it is plugged in correctly might be worth the time. First at the radio and then at the console. Plus it will allow you to retrieve all that has fallen through the e-brake. You would be amazed what falls through there.

Another thought is, on my console I have USB 3 and a power port only facing the rear passengers. Is usb2 plugged in correctly to your radio

OP
OP
MouldyEgg

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
I pulled the radio from dash and made sure it's securely connected. Usb1 works no issues. Pulled all three usb fuses still no love. Haven't pulled center console not sure how difficult that is to do.

OP
OP
MouldyEgg

MouldyEgg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu
I don't have a usb 3 don't have that package. Thanks for all the advice.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I wouldn't put it past Jeep to have software that says last USB in the line is power only. Its been so long since I pulled my dash apart I can't remember how the usb connects on back.

Andy
Sponsored