Does the JL shift knob come off?

GOLFNJEEPS

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site but I just picked up my fourth Jeep and third Wrangler. I was wondering if anyone with a M/T JL has tried, successfully or not, to remove and replace the shift knob. I had a 2014 JK Altitude Edition M/T and I had replaced that shift knob with a drilled out golf ball I found on EBAY. Was kind of hoping to do the same thing with the JL. Just curious.....
Sponsored

OP
OP

GOLFNJEEPS

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you RockyMtnHigh. I saw that the other day. I might go with that at some point. I was really hoping someone would've tried the manual transmission shift knob by now. I'm sure it can be done, and I'm also sure that there is someone out there much more qualified than myself to be the first to try.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GOLFNJEEPS

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your manual shift knob rock a little (maybe a mm) side to side... like a wobble... but not front to back?
Not really....but I haven't even had it a week yet. I'm kind of hoping it wobbles enough just to pop off. Where did you find the instructions that you posted above?

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Does your manual shift knob rock a little (maybe a mm) side to side... like a wobble... but not front to back?
Mine does! That’s why I’m here lol. I’m going to remove it at some point and maybe use some thread tape or something to tighten the tolerances and put it back on. Hopefully that will take out that little wobble.

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
Mine does! That’s why I’m here lol. I’m going to remove it at some point and maybe use some thread tape or something to tighten the tolerances and put it back on. Hopefully that will take out that little wobble.
I thought maybe a shim would work... but I find it really annoying....

Sponsored

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
I'm assuming you have a manual transmission. Have you tried this yet?
Nah... I'm kinda waiting for someone else to screw with it and report back.... I tried doing something else on this jeep by myself and tore the parking brake boot... truck needed an entirely new center console. I'm a little gun shy now... afraid of ripping the shifter out of the top of the tranny.... (just kidding for those "literal" maniacs out there), but I'll deal with the wobble for now..

Rob

TRanger21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport 2 door soft top manual
Figured it out. It really does pop right off like in those instructions. I put a vise clamp around it and hit it upwards with a hammer since I don’t have a slide hammer. Came right off. There’s no thread, so youll need an adapter for anything aftermarket. The reverse lockout can also be tricked/disabled.

dinohunter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Jl / 2 door
Figured it out. It really does pop right off like in those instructions. I put a vise clamp around it and hit it upwards with a hammer since I don’t have a slide hammer. Came right off. There’s no thread, so youll need an adapter for anything aftermarket. The reverse lockout can also be tricked/disabled.
Not sure if you tried this but will the aftermarket adaptor interfere with the reverse lockout?

OP
OP

GOLFNJEEPS

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it's been a while but thank you everyone for the help.
Sponsored