Sponsored

DIY seating 37s

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
I've got a set of new 37" ATs, and Icon Rebound Pro wheels I'd like to mount up myself.

(Skip ahead if you don't want the whole saga...)
Interesting about the wheels - they use threaded pins to hold the outer bead in place, so they're meant to be one-piece beadlocks with DOT approval that any shop can handle. Sounds great, right? Well, someone forgot to tell the tire install shops that these are DOT approved and no big deal. They see exposed bolt heads and say nope, can't do it. I gave America's Tire a shot, seeing how they literally sell the exact same wheels... but no, couldn't convince a manager that these are OK. Local 4 Wheel Parts says "sure, we've done some of those. About an hour each, so... that'll be $900" (I couldn't help but rudely laugh out loud at that).

Fine, I'll do it myself. I always heard this is easier than you think. Soaped up the rim, jumping up and down on them with a tiny bit of help from a tire iron, and got them mounted loose on the rim, no problem. Installed new Mopar TPMS, no problem. Take out the valve core, hook up the trail air compressor, and as expected they don't budge. I set a ratchet strap around the perimeter as often recommended - lol, maybe that works on paper-thin little passenger tires, but it doesn't budge these massive treads a millimeter.

Took 'em to work where there's a machine shop with a large 95psi house air system, soap 'em up, screw the blowgun on the Schrader valve and hit the first one - the back bead seats right away, the front bead seats about 75% of the way around, and stops. The last little bit, I can hear air escaping right where the tire bead transitions from on the bead seat to behind it, and a bit from each of the threaded pins (Icon calls out you might need more than the usual flow rate because of that extra leakdown). I suspect the flow rate in the house air has chokes in strategic places - or maybe just from the miles of pipes and distribution manifolds and 1/4" hose. Anyway, it hit steady state inflating and deflating before popping that last bit. It's not my shop, I'm not looking to go around modifying the air system after hours for my personal job, so looks like that's out.

TL;DR: I figure I can rent or borrow or buy a home-grade air tank and compressor combo (don't own one) and with a short high-flow hose and a ball valve, hit the tires with enough sudden 40 psi air to pop that last bit of the bead. Question for the group here is, how much tank volume am I looking for? More is better I'm sure, but if 5 or 10 or 15 gallons will do the job, then I don't want to hump around a 30 gallon beast unnecessarily. At this point I'd really like to finish this job DIY, not take it to a shop with the job 80% done

(I will finish up taking them to a shop for balancing though, I guess)
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Starting fluid

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator
Starter fluid has been used for years, make sure your comfortable with it.

One of the "Bead Bazooka" or similar deals can be bought too. Youtube them, pretty good videos.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I learned this lesson myself recently. The tank question is hard to answer. You'd want the most CFM you can get. A 5gal tank is only about .7 cf. How does that translate to seating a bead and how fast you can get the air from tank to tire, I have no idea. If I were you, I would find a friend with a powertank and offer to refill it after you use that to seat the beads.

You did remind me I have been wanting to reach out to ICON. I had a question I cannot find the answer to...or anyone else asking.

OP
OP
fourfa

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
Thanks for the input, folks. Going to try again this weekend, this time with tire mounting paste instead of dish soap. We'll see

(BTW I won't be doing the pyro method)

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Thanks for the input, folks. Going to try again this weekend, this time with tire mounting paste instead of dish soap. We'll see

(BTW I won't be doing the pyro method)
If mounting paste doesn't work, try starting fluid. I've been using staring fluid as a lite fuel thrower (flame throwers don't do much damage, lite fuel throwers do) for 50 years. I started out with hair spray, went to WD 40 before graduating to starting fluid.

If you go that route, use the can as a fuel thrower to ignite the fuel in the tire. You could try a fuel with a lower energy content.

Being a pyro has advantages. Several times at campgrounds in the rain forest, I was the only one able to get a fire started in the middle of a cloud burst.

I've got four 37" spares in my backyard I've been meaning to do a u-tube on the method.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think to get the cfm you need a big tank and a big supply line. However, not necessarily a big compressor. You use the compressor to fill the tank, then open the fat supply line to dump the air you had built up in that big tank.
I’ve never done this, but was considering a similar design for my onboard air to boost CFM for initial dumps. Turn compressor on after all obstacles are done and use the “sump” built up to fill tires faster.
Anyway, an inline tank is cheaper than a big compressor if you don’t need the compressor for anything else.
Sponsored