flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
OK...maybe this is a little OCD, but I noticed that my engine coolant level dropped about 1/4" over the last 1000 miles, and there is no evidence of leakage. My 2-door JL has the 3.6L engine, and I have been driving a 50/50 mix of highway and city miles at an average temperature of 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Although I've seen this same thing occur in some older cars, it never occurred in my '99 TJ, '80 CJ-5, '92 Bronco II, and other vehicles....coolant levels remained rock solid, and I would have thought the same would be true in a brand new Wrangler. While I'm not terribly worried, it would be nice to know if others are experiencing the same thing. Appreciate your observations and feedback.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine went down a bit when it was new. Topped it off and it's stayed steady since.
Thanks, Jim. I had to do the same thing but that was 1000 miles ago, and I've just been watching the coolant decrease since then, hoping it'll finally level off somewhere above the MIN line. Only time and miles will tell I guess!

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Discussed this further with a service writer at a trusted dealership, who advised that this is a very common issue with JLs (maybe JKs too), and his own JLU does the same thing. I've never seen this happen in a new vehicle, and it's a little annoying that I need to keep such a close eye on the coolant level. If this were a vehicle that I'd take on long road trips, I'd be extremely unsatisfied, but I don't plan on driving cross country in my 2-door Sport any time soon. Yet again, here's another "Jeep thing" to add to an already long list for the JL. Interestingly, my CJ and TJ had far fewer "Jeep things" to worry about, but they were also much simpler and straightforward vehicles.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Like @JimLee mine initially dropped when new and I topped it off and has not moved since.
Sponsored