Disable Seat Belt Chime

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Repeated the same process for the 10th time and it worked?? I did have a small package sitting in my passenger seat, so that must have been enough to mess me up?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Repeated the same process for the 10th time and it worked?? I did have a small package sitting in my passenger seat, so that must have been enough to mess me up?
You know what they say? The 10th try is the charm!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If it was enough weight to activate the passenger air bag sensor it wouldn’t have worked - glad you figured it out

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
mine finally worked.. after heard chime

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
FYI, this mod also means the EES will not function IF you are daily driving without your seatbelt fastened. I know some hate the system anyway, so kills 2 birds with one stone.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
FYI, this mod also means the EES will not function IF you are daily driving without your seatbelt fastened. I know some hate the system anyway, so kills 2 birds with one stone.
Huh .... Could you explain in more detail. Thanks!

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Huh .... Could you explain in more detail. Thanks!
The ESS System (typo in last message) turns the vehicle off when you stop at stop lights and then the vehicle turns back on when you take your foot off the brake for fuel economy. Many users do not like the system at all (I dont mind it) and you can disengage it by pushing a button on the dash, BUT you have to turn it off every time you get in the vehicle. Another user has a thread on permanently disabling it by removing a sensor under the hood, but the seatbelt override in this thread also disengages that feature because it only works when your seatbelt is fastened. Hope that helps.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
The ESS System (typo in last message) turns the vehicle off when you stop at stop lights and then the vehicle turns back on when you take your foot off the brake for fuel economy. Many users do not like the system at all (I dont mind it) and you can disengage it by pushing a button on the dash, BUT you have to turn it off every time you get in the vehicle. Another user has a thread on permanently disabling it by removing a sensor under the hood, but the seatbelt override in this thread also disengages that feature because it only works when your seatbelt is fastened. Hope that helps.
I'm familiar with ESS and the JL/JLU. I know about the button on the dash to turn off ESS temporarily. I know about that one plunger switch under that hood that you can tamper with to disable ESS but you get a dash warning.

So, you are saying if you disable the chime and ride around with the driver's seatbelt unfastened that ESS is disabled? Ok, I got it.

Last edited:

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
So, you are saying if you disable the chime and ride around with the driver's seatbelt unfastened that ESS is disabled? Ok, I got it.
Correct!

OP
OP
xpsruler

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Another reason I like to disable the chime is so I can unbuckle my seatbelt right before parking. This will keep ESS from turning the engine off when you stop only to turn on again once shifting into park.

Sponsored

sunol

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Wrangler
Great info. Thanks for posting! My 99 TJ doesn't have a chime and I was afraid I'd have to deal with one after my JL comes in. I'm often on dirt roads going 10-15 mph with frequent stops to clear tree limbs, open gates, etc. When I'm in a different vehicle, having a chime or having to clip in and out of the seat belt constantly is super annoying.

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
Took me two tries but ....ahhhhhhh!!!

Thank you.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm going to try this. If it works this is the greatest thread ever. I have property in a rural area and I hate having to put my seatbelt on every time I get in and out of the Jeep while cruising through the fields.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Not entirely true. You don't need to do the mod to disable the ESS. The ESS is disabled if the seatbelt isn't buckled, along with a list of other factors. Here are pics of the owners manual showing that.

440395E0-38B5-4246-A43C-85A7BD26DDBB.jpeg

887CF995-4661-4AD4-96FF-CC08B4A98517.jpeg

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@Man-of-methods
Actually, l had it right in regard to seat belt unbuckled. I was/am also aware of all the info in the manual regarding ESS. ;) I purchased the Tazer so no more dealing with ESS for me.
Sponsored