Sponsored

Difference between the V8 vs V6 radiator ? Is it interchangeable?

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It wouldn’t surprise me. I can only imagine a diesel or 392 in the same conditions unless…they actually had room for substantially better cooling and did just that. Maybe they cheaped out on the radiator and fan with “just enough” for the 3.6. Probably the 2.0 too.
theres 1.5 inches of space there ( between condenser and the radiator) I wonder what they did with 392 ... it would definitely need more cooling capacity. It would sound crazy to me if they basically used same capacity radiator ..

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
In my opinion that fan could cause a cat 5 hurricane. Good fan .. I have to run the ac for to go work though ...and waiting for it go on is a crapshot the temps will fluctuate anywhere between 186 to 222 before it finally comes on. A higher capacity radiator would really help.
A higher capacity radiator won’t do anything when the thermostat isn’t open.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
In my opinion that fan could cause a cat 5 hurricane. Good fan .. I have to run the ac for to go work though ...and waiting for it go on is a crapshot the temps will fluctuate anywhere between 186 to 222 before it finally comes on. A higher capacity radiator would really help.
I’ll take your word for it as I don’t have any experience with cooling issues. They can make noise though.

I’d think it would kick on around 215 or so. Go figure.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Are these Wranglers at 210, 220? I could watch my gauges but I’ve had no issues.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
this would become quite obvious @ highway speeds.. it would just keep climbing but nay in my case . The stat seems fine

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
this would become quite obvious @ highway speeds.. it would just keep climbing but nay in my case . The stat seems fine
You’re missing my point. The thermostat is not fully open until 212 degrees. At 186 it hasn’t even started to open.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I’ll take your word for it as I don’t have any experience with cooling issues. They can make noise though.

I’d think it would kick on around 215 or so. Go figure.
Are these Wranglers at 210, 220? I could watch my gauges but I’ve had no issues.
I would love to know what temps cause others to kick in .. but these are pwm fans which are a bit quieter then the ones of yesteryear sometime hard to tell when they're actually on.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You’re missing my point. The thermostat is not fully open until 212 degrees. At 186 it hasn’t even started to open.
If it’s 212, the 220ish fan kick on makes sense. They usually give 5-10° in factory programming before the fans start powering up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
186 to 190 @ highway speed cruising flat ground the temp stays like this consistently. ....according to the digital readout. Been like this straight off the lot since new. So the question would be what the temp that the tstat should be keeping the engine @

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
If it’s 212, the 220ish fan kick on makes sense. They usually give 5-10° in factory programming before the fans start powering up.
if it is fully open @ 212 then, what happens @ the temps below that ...this would mean that the engine shouldn't reach higher than 212 because it open to the max . and it wont flow any better . It doesn't just pop open... it reacts with the temperatures it meets in the housing in a controlled smooth fashion. It is at least partly open before 212 so there would clearly be coolant flow before this.Which clearly happens by checking the outflow hose.. Meaning 212 probably is not the actual target temp of the stat . but in the end it still will hit 220s in stop and go traffic if the ac isn't on

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
if it is fully open @ 212 then, what happens @ the temps below that ...this would mean that the engine shouldn't reach higher than 212 because it open to the max . and it wont flow any better . It doesn't just pop open... it reacts with the temperatures it meets in the housing in a controlled smooth fashion. It is at least partly open before 212 so there would clearly be coolant flow before this.Which clearly happens by checking the outflow hose.. Meaning 212 probably is not the actual target temp of the stat . but in the end it still will hit 220s in stop and go traffic if the ac isn't on
It begins to open at 190F and is fully open at 212F. At that point, the cooling efficiency of the radiator is driven by radiator surface area and ambient temperature. At no reasonable temperature will it overheat in traffic with coolant in it.

Now, I could buy an argument for lowering engine bay temperatures to save the brittle, awful insulation used on wiring these days.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It begins to open at 190F and is fully open at 212F. At that point, the cooling efficiency of the radiator is driven by radiator surface area and ambient temperature. At no reasonable temperature will it overheat in traffic with coolant in it.

Now, I could buy an argument for lowering engine bay temperatures to save the brittle, awful insulation used on wiring these days.
Head gaskets usually are the ones to suffer from temp extremes. The radiator itself also has a shorter life span when cycling thru the heat too . The intake (plastic) also .

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Head gaskets usually are the ones to suffer from temp extremes. The radiator itself also has a shorter life span when cycling thru the heat too . The intake (plastic) also .
You aren't going to blow head gaskets from having a slightly elevated operating temperature. You blow head gaskets by warping the head due to severe overheating.
Sponsored