Diff covers

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I agree, at the time those were the only options. Several have come out I would prefer in the past six months(although also expensive compared to the JK)

I've dented a JK cover, but never punctured one. I did have a buddy that had the lip peel back like you mentioned draining the fluid on the trail. Luckily we were able to "re-form" it so it held fluid for the trip home.

Looking at those covers again(never seriously considered due to pricing), while they are attractive and I like idea of the sight glass. The thing that bothers me more than them being cast alluminum is the extra drain plugs at the lower front/rear of the covers. I can easily see them catching and damaging the covers beyond trail repair.
I'll take a set of inexpensive cast iron covers when they become available and use my finger or a piece of string to take my measurements(And of course paint them for the bling:beer:)

The Dana/spicers are cast iron or I need to turn my man card in. They seemed heavy,
Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I will say I hit my front diff hard enough to ruin one of the bolts on the cover, needed vice grips to get it off, the drain plug came loose. Cracked a CAD cover from artec, But the rubi stock diff cover did not dent, did I upgrade to Dana/spicer covers? yes. But the stock ones are rather tough.
My ARB has recessed bolts, but generally speaking, any cover have have the bolts rounded off. Having grade 9 bottom bolts helps as they are usually harder than the rock and will generally gouge the rock before rounding out.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I may be wrong but I believe this was just with the factory stamped steel diff covers on the JK which hung over the diff just enough to catch while dragging in the rear. The Dana/Spicer covers look to be cast iron.:like:
I'm pretty sure I see a bit of a lip under the JL. I'll look again. I do have a JK, too, so I may be mixing them up.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I didn't see much of a lip, at all on the JL, and after watching that video, I cancelled my order for the Dana/Spicer covers. The 300 bucks I just saved will go toward something else...probably a refrigerator. Thanks for enlightening me on this!

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good call. Having said that, even if there was a lip, you can just grind it down to be flush with the housing and boom, problem solved and you're not $300 poorer.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good call. Having said that, even if there was a lip, you can just grind it down to be flush with the housing and boom, problem solved and you're not $300 poorer.
Yep, I'm going to give my JK a close look this weekend and will ultimately do exactly that before Moab in October.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I think the front lip will help. I will check the rear out and hopefully provide a Holcomb creek John Bull damage report this weekend

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diff-covers.9320/page-2

After 10 days and a couple hard runs, I sheared off a bolt on my front diff cover as well as denting 4 rims, using skid pates extensively, and a other abrasions. I picked up the @Motobilt diff covers for $100 each. 3/8 steel, painted them red and had then installed. No more worries ;)
I don't see how you addressed your problem, your new cover has exposed bolts just like the OEM, and can be easily sheared off. If you're happy with your purchase, that's great, but it wasn't a necessary upgrade, as your bolts are still exposed.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I don't see how you addressed your problem, your new cover has exposed bolts just like the OEM, and can be easily sheared off. If you're happy with your purchase, that's great, but it wasn't a necessary upgrade, as your bolts are still exposed.
I see your point, but the cover is now 3x as thick. So even if the bolt shears, the likelihood of damage being done past that is significantly reduced because of the greatly increased barrier.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As stated above, that is not accurate, but it doesn't matter. As long as you are happy.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My MOTOBILT HD covers use "BUTTON HEAD" bolts and about the only way to "SHEAR" is with a grinder-

W.E.

JIMBO

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
96A27DE7-EBBC-48BC-AD49-6EC87934A1A9.jpeg
View attachment 74917 Here is my front spicer cover after hitting by some rocks. The rear lip is not an issue. It will grind off on its own if needed or if you really want you can buzz it. The pic on the rear did not come out. With the rocks I was crawling it was very close to the drive shaft and barely touched the rear diff cover.

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
View attachment 74917 Here is my front spicer cover after hitting by some rocks. The rear lip is not an issue. It will grind off on its own if needed or if you really want you can buzz it. The pic on the rear did not come out. With the rocks I was crawling it was very slow to the drive shaft and barely touched the rear diff cover.
One thing I like about that cover, and I think it is the single most important thing, is how it protects the bolt heads. Maybe I'll reconsider and put one of those at least in the front. Hmmm.
Sponsored