LIJLURguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered a JLUR , would like to order a set of HD diff covers , Does anyone know if the New differentials are standard Dana 44 sized covers, TIA
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Just ordered a JLUR , would like to order a set of HD diff covers , Does anyone know if the New differentials are standard Dana 44 sized covers, TIA
I think they are 12 bolt now, so I would wait to see what will properly fit.

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nextventuremotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 Willys VJ, 1973 Jeep Commando, 18 JL , 21 JT
Occupation
CAD Designer, Adventure Machine Outfitter

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
$330 each wow

DirtyTj

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On its way 2018 JLUR in granite crystal with most everything but smokers group and dual top.2003 Sahara ARB air lockers front and rear, G2 Dana 60 in the rear, Dana 30 with RCV shafts Upfront 4.88 gearing.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
AFE looks to have some nice diff covers available(At a not so nice price.) I like the sight glass for checking levels.
https://afepower.com/products/prote...ype=Gas&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler+JL&year=2018
ROFL, aluminum diff covers? Surely they jest. Not only that, but they are also blunt faced lol. The OEM covers are actually exceptionally strong (watch the sledge hammer test on youtube), in fact, I have never seen anyone actually puncture one. The issue with OEM covers on JKs was that they had a tiny lip which could "peel" on an obstacle releasing all the fluid. They are actually stronger than MANY MANY MANY "HD" covers you find online, made of cheap and porous pig iron. I would put up OEM stamped steel vs aluminum covers any day of the week. Having said ALL that, on my JK, on the front, I run an ARB cover, first, it increases sex appeal by 300%. Second, I like the dipstick. Third, it is actually engineered to strengthen the entire housing to slightly improve stress load distribution. Finally, it solves the lip problem. On the JL, there is no such problem, so "upgrading" the OEM cover is 100% for looks and convenience of checking fluid levels (if you get a cover that allows you to check said levels.)

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The spicer ones look better dollar for dollar
I agree, at the time those were the only options. Several have come out I would prefer in the past six months(although also expensive compared to the JK)

ROFL, aluminum diff covers? Surely they jest. Not only that, but they are also blunt faced lol. The OEM covers are actually exceptionally strong (watch the sledge hammer test on youtube), in fact, I have never seen anyone actually puncture one. The issue with OEM covers on JKs was that they had a tiny lip which could "peel" on an obstacle releasing all the fluid. They are actually stronger than MANY MANY MANY "HD" covers you find online, made of cheap and porous pig iron. I would put up OEM stamped steel vs aluminum covers any day of the week. Having said ALL that, on my JK, on the front, I run an ARB cover, first, it increases sex appeal by 300%. Second, I like the dipstick. Third, it is actually engineered to strengthen the entire housing to slightly improve stress load distribution. Finally, it solves the lip problem. On the JL, there is no such problem, so "upgrading" the OEM cover is 100% for looks and convenience of checking fluid levels (if you get a cover that allows you to check said levels.)
I've dented a JK cover, but never punctured one. I did have a buddy that had the lip peel back like you mentioned draining the fluid on the trail. Luckily we were able to "re-form" it so it held fluid for the trip home.

Looking at those covers again(never seriously considered due to pricing), while they are attractive and I like idea of the sight glass. The thing that bothers me more than them being cast alluminum is the extra drain plugs at the lower front/rear of the covers. I can easily see them catching and damaging the covers beyond trail repair.
I'll take a set of inexpensive cast iron covers when they become available and use my finger or a piece of string to take my measurements(And of course paint them for the bling:beer:)

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Dana/Spicer covers a couple weeks ago. They are shipping straight from Dana, but I don't even have a tracking number yet. I'll have to contact 4wd Hardware tomorrow to see what the delay is all about. I might cancel the order and just be extra careful of that lip.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Dana/Spicer covers a couple weeks ago. They are shipping straight from Dana, but I don't even have a tracking number yet. I'll have to contact 4wd Hardware tomorrow to see what the delay is all about. I might cancel the order and just be extra careful of that lip.
I may be wrong but I believe this was just with the factory stamped steel diff covers on the JK which hung over the diff just enough to catch while dragging in the rear. The Dana/Spicer covers look to be cast iron.:like:

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, at the time those were the only options. Several have come out I would prefer in the past six months(although also expensive compared to the JK)

I've dented a JK cover, but never punctured one. I did have a buddy that had the lip peel back like you mentioned draining the fluid on the trail. Luckily we were able to "re-form" it so it held fluid for the trip home.

Looking at those covers again(never seriously considered due to pricing), while they are attractive and I like idea of the sight glass. The thing that bothers me more than them being cast alluminum is the extra drain plugs at the lower front/rear of the covers. I can easily see them catching and damaging the covers beyond trail repair.
I'll take a set of inexpensive cast iron covers when they become available and use my finger or a piece of string to take my measurements(And of course paint them for the bling:beer:)
Exactly. The stamped steel is super strong, and IF you managed to dent it to the point of being in the way of a ring gear, you can beat it back out with a rock and get off the trail. The biggest misconception in the Jeep community is that some of the parts on the Jeep need "upgrading." The truth is, many components on the jeep are superior to MOST aftermarket stuff, and changing them out not only drains your wallet, but also, downgrades the actual strength of the part. Some such parts include (but not limited to)...aftermarket diff covers, aftermarket skids, aftermarket steering stabilizers, aftermarket springs, aftermarket rock rails, aftermarket headlights, etc. You wont find many people criticizing parts they spent their hard earned money on, so there is a LOT of misinformation out there, but if you've been in this game long enough, its easy to see and easy to cut through the BS.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a good video illustrating the strength of the OEM cover. I doubt the AFE one could take a hit from the 8lb sledge.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I will say I hit my front diff hard enough to ruin one of the bolts on the cover, needed vice grips to get it off, the drain plug came loose. Cracked a CAD cover from artec, But the rubi stock diff cover did not dent, did I upgrade to Dana/spicer covers? yes. But the stock ones are rather tough.
Sponsored