Diesel Resale Value

Luke3.0

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0
As soon as I heard they put a diesel in a Wrangler, I knew this would be my next ride. It’s simple awesome to remote start the Jeep and listen to that beautiful sound walking up to it every morning. The torque is amazing and it just feels right to me, it’s proper. The diesel will definitely command a premium, especially in more rural areas. I have no doubt.
Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I think some of the other folks got confused and thought vehicles appreciated in value.

They are tuning these engines to have 510 lb/ft of torque at 1900 rpm. That’s almost right off idle. The 3.6 is the lowest power engine option and the 2.0t is putting out more power than it does.

All the emissions stuff everyone is worried about is warrantied for 8/80k - which I’m sure to get 8 years since I work from home - and by then there won’t be any gas options anyway. This will be the only and last time you’ll get 392 and diesel in a wrangler before they go all electric or hybrid electric. If you think emissions is complicated, wait until you try and service a hybrid electric.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
As for resale, I did a vroom check a few days ago. I have a 2021 JLUR-D. MSRP was around 62k, I paid 54K for it in August. The Vroom quote was just shy of 63k currently.

I have no intention of selling it right now, but it is good to see these are holding steady still. When the 2023s come out ill cross shop them, the Bronco Raptor, maybe Ranger Raptor, and maybe even a New Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (if I can find an LJ for trails). Part of the reason I like Jeeps is that I don't lose money when I swap vehicles every year or so. It will ve hard to give that up so most likely will be getting the 2023 refresh when its out.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Is that city and highway or just highway? I got 20 mpg in town, 320 a tank
This was freeway before I lifted and got bigger tires. Now I am averaging between 22 and 24 mpg. Depending on how much skinny pedal I use. Then again I go up and down over 6,000 elevation every day.

TampaDiesel

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I think some of the other folks got confused and thought vehicles appreciated in value.

They are tuning these engines to have 510 lb/ft of torque at 1900 rpm. That’s almost right off idle. The 3.6 is the lowest power engine option and the 2.0t is putting out more power than it does.

All the emissions stuff everyone is worried about is warrantied for 8/80k - which I’m sure to get 8 years since I work from home - and by then there won’t be any gas options anyway. This will be the only and last time you’ll get 392 and diesel in a wrangler before they go all electric or hybrid electric. If you think emissions is complicated, wait until you try and service a hybrid electric.
Most of the costly diesel emissions equipment is only warrantied for 3 years/36k miles.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
My experience having diesel trucks says they hold their value better, but that is in a truck where towing and durability come in to play. On a Jeep where a diesel essentially offered you nothing but maintenance, who knows.

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the costly diesel emissions equipment is only warrantied for 3 years/36k miles.
Nope. Read your manual. I’ve already cut and paste the warranty on here several times. Specifically includes the dpf, scr, all of it for 8/80k. Just look up the postings by me or your manual.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the powertrain warranty (10/100) included all the diesel emissions stuff (?)
He’s not correct although I thought it was 8/80k so you could be right. I know it’s at least 8/80k. It’s in your manual. I posted a picture of it on here several times. Either way, it’s a federal emissions warranty so it’s not like Jeep had a choice.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
He’s not correct although I thought it was 8/80k so you could be right. I know it’s at least 8/80k. It’s in your manual. I posted a picture of it on here several times. Either way, it’s a federal emissions warranty so it’s not like Jeep had a choice.
You are correct. Although I didn't know about the 2/24 coverage. Especially the EGR...

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Resale Value emissions.JPG

TampaDiesel

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
You are correct. Although I didn't know about the 2/24 coverage. Especially the EGR...

emissions.JPG
Exactly....they know they will not last. The DEF system and EGR are the most costly parts. I'm still keeping my diesel order though. It is a 3/36 warranty. Federal requires 2/24, they pushed it to 3/36. What is interesting is that the 3/36 covers the turbo charger, throttle body, and O2 system...but the 8/80k warranty also covers those items. I would assume that the longer warranty supersedes the 3/36.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re not winning anything, EGR wise, with a gas vehicle since they have them too. The DPF Is the most expensive but it’s covered 8/80k; it’s specifically called out. They make these things serviceable now and there are plenty of places that will clean it once you pull the 8 bolts, and 3 connectors if there is an issue.

In 8 years the dpf will be fairly cheap. A new egr today is like $130. People spend more on winches to “round out the look” (actual quote, btw). Everything is relative. The electronics like electronic sway bar disconnect will cause more issues.

Just to be abundantly clear: The “particulate filter assembly” is the dpf and it’s specifically covered for 8/80k.
Sponsored