OP

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Also keep in mind, there will be far fewer after market mods and parts for the ED Wrangler.

That might be only relevant to the drivetrain but it will be a real consequence.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
There will be buyers who specifically seek out these models. As for parts availability, you can still get parts for your Porsche Speedster, a vehicle that lasted the exact same number of model years - only in this case 65 years ago - and sold in MUCH smaller numbers. Don't ever sell the new-old-stock market short.

But...like political attack ads (my Lord, please let it end), FUD is always embraced by folks who are easily manipulated.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
the big issue we have right now is the stop sale on the impacted vins due to the fuel pump recall. if a dealer is unable to sell any of these, the value will not matter on them until they can. if you can only sell person to person, not an ideal situation.

i was looking to order a new Diesel for myself, and trade my current one in on something for my wife. I have had 2 dealers now tell me they cant / wont buy my 2021 until the recall is fixed. (ford dealer and Jeep dealer).

I have asked to see if this is accurate or not, or if those dealers were just being difficult.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I like watching the auto auctions on TV. You'll notice that limited production vehicles, all other things being equal, tend to hold their value well. Ecodiesels will be rare among an ocean of Pentastars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I can name about 20 3 to 5-year engine options in various Manufacturers.

>>>as they do for my 1972 Karman Ghia even some factory......50 years later (for example)

These types of comments/thinking are knee jerk and bandwagon.
You have a KARMAN? AWESOME!!

OP
OP

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I like watching the auto auctions on TV. You'll notice that limited production vehicles, all other things being equal, tend to hold their value well. Ecodiesels will be rare among an ocean of Pentastars.
Yes, if you keep it in great shape for 50 years (like the KArmen Ghia guy in this thread), it may have great resale value. Also true for a Chevy Malibu.

The reality is most of us won't keep the EcoDiesels in that kind of shape for that long.

Hoping they get a better hybrid or EV with huge range in the next decade.

HD_17

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 3.0 Sahara, '06 LBZ Duramax, '17 Street Glide
IMO anyone who buys a diesel in a time where they're trying to push EV is taking a risk regardless of the manufacture is. When I run the wheels off my Duramax I plan on replacing it with another one. The ED and tow package were my only 2 requirements for my wife's Jeep haha. 98% of the folks who buy diesel know what they're getting into. And for most of us, it's the longevity, not resale value, at least not in a Wrangler. Although I do believe it will hold it's resale value just as well as any other Wrangler will.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Think it's going to hold its value more or less.

I think less. It's a run of barely 4 years. Goes down as a brand mistake. Some people will think it's cool but not as many as who would prefer to have a vehicle with more spare parts, experienced mechanics, and a wider user knowledge base.
So me personally, other than the free oil changes or any future warranty claims, I do all work myself. If I need something done with the engine that I can't really do myself, I have a diesel mechanic I go to. It helps that there's a few other local diesel Wrangler owners who go there as well. So the guys' fairly well versed in diesel Wranglers.

When it comes to resale value of the 3.0 EcoDiesel, I look at it this way. If someone is looking for a diesel Wrangler, there is only so many on the market. As time proceeds, that number will become lower. As long as you're not destroying your Wrangler, and another 10 or 15 years, these things will become hot take that items for anyone who wants a diesel Wrangler. So if you're planning on holding on to yours long-term like I am, The value potentially could skyrocket. Especially with the way the government is infringing on car manufacturers.
Now I personally will never sell my Wrangler, if anything when my engine dies I'll swap in a different diesel engine. But if you were someone who wanted to sell it, I would recommend only private sale. It's only place you're going to get your money's worth, to another gearhead who wants the the best production diesel Wrangler ever, to date. :rock: ;)

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Considering how well the LJ model held additional value as a short run option, I expect similar for the ecodiesel. There were roughly 48,000 LJ models produced in a 3 year run (2004-2006). Maybe @Ratbert has the total numbers on the ecodiesel.

Sponsored

Garry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ, 2018 GC Trailhawk, 2022 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Considering how well the LJ model held additional value as a short run option, I expect similar for the ecodiesel. There were roughly 48,000 LJ models produced in a 3 year run (2004-2006). Maybe @Ratbert has the total numbers on the ecodiesel.
And I have both and won't sell either, my kids will have that option.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Does anyone have the actual number of 3.0 EcoDiesel JLU's sold? That's number I'm very curious to find out!!!🤓

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I think Jeep did a terrible job at marketing the engine. I’ve had several JL owners stand their jaws open when they find out there was a diesel option. I’ve also had a lot of non Jeep owners do the same thing, remarking, “Man, I would’ve bought one had I known!!”

It’s a damn shame. I really think it’s the best engine for the off-road enthusiast.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I was just on the Jeep website trying to build the ED on the Sport or Willy’s platform and did not realize it’s completely discontinued. I thought MY ‘23 was the last of the ED??

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Like others stated, I think it will hold value for those who like or want diesel engines. Hard to tell what the future holds, but smaller numbers and shorter production run typically increase value.

Regarding fewer sales/lower popularity, I think a lot of the enthusiasts that were interested in a diesel Wrangler for years also wanted it in a two door. I know I was one of them, and completely lost interest because of no two door option. Same with the 392. Even if I could have afforded a 392, I wasn’t nearly as interested in it being four door only.
Sponsored

Last edited: