David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using San Diego Chrysler jeep for over 18 years for the 1991 XJ, 2016 GC and now the 2020 Rubicon. The work performed there is high quality and on time. They have never done me wrong. It's good to know a repeatable dealership.
You are very lucky. You have found a unicorn.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
At 5k miles my DEF pump went out. If it haddent been for Covid I would still be driving, but Im waiting on parts. That said, I've had No issues with it otherwise and honestly dont expect any. Once the DEF issue is fixed, and the TSB for the Steering Box (Since its already there why not) I see this rig lasting a very long time. I would not turn back and do anything different. Honestly. and this is coming from a guy that has been without his Jeep for almost 2 months now!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Horse-Cookies. I got a premium for my WK2 when I sold it.
Well you should buy a lotto ticket then. The Rams are hard to even give away. People see "EcoDiesel" and run. And, most dealers got to the point where they wouldn't even order new ones for inventory any longer. So, this new engine will need to prove itself.

Sponsored

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I suspect the ecodiesels will have a poor resale value. I heard stories about oil leaks then went to see if mine had it and found out it did. It spent 4 months in the dealer and its still not fixed. I dont buy all these comments about how good this engine is. Its not. As much as VW got crap for diesel gate their engines were good. So are Mercedes. I think the duramax and cummins are great too. The Gen 3 ecodiesel is the same $hit as before and does nothing to prove itself so it will affect resale. I suspect many dont even know theirs have leaks. Dealers dont know how to work on them and cause more harm and have terrible customer service. When I got mine back it overheated driving off the lot. They didnt even give me a receipt of the work they did.

Buy the 3.6 if you care of resale. I enjoy the driving experience of the ecodiesel and think its better than the 3.6 and 2.0 that I have had but its not robust or reliable. It will not have a good resale either. I hope Im wrong.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I suspect the ecodiesels will have a poor resale value. I heard stories about oil leaks then went to see if mine had it and found out it did. It spent 4 months in the dealer and its still not fixed. I dont buy all these comments about how good this engine is. Its not. As much as VW got crap for diesel gate their engines were good. So are Mercedes. I think the duramax and cummins are great too. The Gen 3 ecodiesel is the same $hit as before and does nothing to prove itself so it will affect resale. I suspect many dont even know theirs have leaks. Dealers dont know how to work on them and cause more harm and have terrible customer service. When I got mine back it overheated driving off the lot. They didnt even give me a receipt of the work they did.

Buy the 3.6 if you care of resale. I enjoy the driving experience of the ecodiesel and think its better than the 3.6 and 2.0 that I have had but its not robust or reliable. It will not have a good resale either. I hope Im wrong.
I guess I am lucky. I have 26k on the jeep diesel engine and have had ZERO issues. The jeep was up on the rack yesterday and absolutely no sign of any leaks. I suspect that every kind of vehicle will have isolated issues and indeed, there will be lemons. But to classify all ecodiesel engines as bad, well isn't correct. My 2016 jeep Grand Cherokee diesel just turned 100k, and with the exception of the emissions "upgrade" have had no issues. Honestly, I didn't buy the jeep to resell it. The jeep diesel has proven itself to me.

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I guess I am lucky. I have 26k on the jeep diesel engine and have had ZERO issues. The jeep was up on the rack yesterday and absolutely no sign of any leaks. I suspect that every kind of vehicle will have isolated issues and indeed, there will be lemons. But to classify all ecodiesel engines as bad, well isn't correct. My 2016 jeep Grand Cherokee diesel just turned 100k, and with the exception of the emissions "upgrade" have had no issues. Honestly, I didn't buy the jeep to resell it. The jeep diesel has proven itself to me.
You are correct. Not trying to generalize. I dont buy cars to sell and Im the first owner of 4 cars spanning over 30 years. I read the horror stories but went ahead and paid 66k for my JLURD and experienced exactly what I read about. From what I have found is the areas that are issues were not changed in this new gen engine even though its supposedly 80% new. Glad your Jeep is not having issues and hoping many have the same experience. Thanks for sharing yours.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct. Not trying to generalize. I dont buy cars to sell and Im the first owner of 4 cars spanning over 30 years. I read the horror stories but went ahead and paid 66k for my JLURD and experienced exactly what I read about. From what I have found is the areas that are issues were not changed in this new gen engine even though its supposedly 80% new. Glad your Jeep is not having issues and hoping many have the same experience. Thanks for sharing yours.
I very well may be blessed. I upgraded my suspension, no issues. I upgraded both the trackbar and steering stabilizer and again, no issues. I heard a lot about things like this causing the death Wobble. After the steering box change and all the rest, the steering is rock solid.
As far as the engine goes, I couldn't be happier. Maybe I have a freak engine, but everything is working as designed. I inspect both the floor of the garage and the underbody of the jeep regularly. Again no problems. I feel bad that some people are having major problems with the engine. With all the rules and regulations that constrain the engine. It is not hard to expect issues.
All my vehicles are diesel. From a 2002 F-350 with the 7.3L engine, to the 2016 Grand Cherokee and 2020 jeep Rubicon, 3.0 ecodiesel.
Crawling over rocks, driving up obstacles and then doing freeway driving is incredible. I sip fuel on the trail, usually using under 3 gallons when others go through close to a half tank of gas. I can and have driven from El Cajon to Bishop, non-stop using about 3/4 tank of diesel.
I guess it is the luck of the draw.
Best of luck to you and thanks for posting.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
FWIW

I purchased my MY2020 High Altitude Diesel 8/31/2020. I traded it in exactly one year later 8/31/2021 with 15k miles. I paid 58k new. The best trade in between three dealers and Vroom was 47k. One dealer, and BTW the dealer I purchased it from didnt even want it. That dealer suggested I just sell it to Vroom.

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Resale will be great given where it seems fuel prices are going. We are begging Saudi Arabia to produce more and constraining our own production. 25 miles per gallon looks REAL GOOD at $4.50 gasoline.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
FWIW

I purchased my MY2020 High Altitude Diesel 8/31/2020. I traded it in exactly one year later 8/31/2021 with 15k miles. I paid 58k new. The best trade in between three dealers and Vroom was 47k. One dealer, and BTW the dealer I purchased it from didnt even want it. That dealer suggested I just sell it to Vroom.
Where? I had a dealer offer more than what I paid new for my JLURD around the same time, around 20,000 miles on the clock after a year and a half of ownership.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where? I had a dealer offer more than what I paid new for my JLURD around the same time, around 20,000 miles on the clock after a year and a half of ownership.
A lot of people will try to low ball you. It's the game. I know if anything ever happened to me, my wife will quickly sell rubi

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Resale? Let me tell you what will happen IF I ever sell my fully loaded diesel Rubicon in sarge green...
The buyer will show up and will pay me the number that I paid for it plus mods (roof rack, roof rack tent etc.), and some more on top, because ill sell when the diesel is not available to buy.. It will be a HOT item..

Dont like it? Go buy a gas powered version then..

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Makes two of us. 30k in and still going strong!
Sponsored