Diesel Fuel Pricing - why so varied?

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
So I have my JLURD on order, hopefully will get it in time for Christmas!

While driving from FL to NC, I was watching diesel gas prices to get an idea of how much it costs and the difference between gas.

one thing I noticed is that diesel prices vary wildly! Within a couple exits, prices will go from $3.15 to $3.65. I can see a difference of 10% of 30cents or so, but what is the difference between diesel at $3.65 and $3.15? I've noticed Sam's typically has good diesel prices, albeit higher than gas.

Is this normal? Am I missing something?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've owned my Ecodiesel for a year now. When I first bought it, the local Costco sold diesel for $1.69/gallon when all of the other (non-Costco) stations were $.80 more. That was the largest disparity I've seen within one market. It's now settled in to Costco being only $.15 cheaper on an everyday basis.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
Meanwhile, here in CA, I am seeing Diesel prices in range from ~$4.15-$4.60, which is making me second guess if I want to get a diesel when gas prices are cheaper.

OP
OP

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
I've owned my Ecodiesel for a year now. When I first bought it, the local Costco sold diesel for $1.69/gallon when all of the other (non-Costco) stations were $.80 more. That was the largest disparity I've seen within one market. It's now settled in to Costco being only $.15 cheaper on an everyday basis.
I've looked at the costco's near me (east coast) and none of them sell diesel, only gas. :( Sams' club does have it though.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
?

This is completely normal. Maybe you just haven't paid as much attention until getting this low(ish) mpg jeep.

Brand, location, independent ownership, there's too many variables you're missing.

There's two Exxons near me that are regularly $0.80-$1 higher than other brands a block away, but they get plenty of business.

Just driving into Manhattan will cost you more than a dollar per gallon extra.

OP
OP

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
?

This is completely normal. Maybe you just haven't paid as much attention until getting this low(ish) mpg jeep.
You're right, I haven't paid much attention to diesel prices. I'm just surprised at the large spread when the price is around $3.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Meanwhile, here in CA, I am seeing Diesel prices in range from ~$4.15-$4.60, which is making me second guess if I want to get a diesel when gas prices are cheaper.
Don’t worry, CA will raise the prices on gas too (via state tax). They don’t want you driving either. It should say at the pump what portions of each gallon go to tax etc…

Last edited:

gregssstaaa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Try to find a station that caters to or sells a lot of diesel to commercial/fleet vehicles. They're usually cheaper and you'll get fresher diesel. Avoid stations that cater mostly to gas and have diesel as an afterthought. You also won't know how long the diesel has been sitting around. Plus, they'll usually charge more.

I go to a local Valero currently at $3.95/gal. Compare this to $4.30/gal average for regular gas around my area in expensive-enough-as-it-is-San Diego, CA.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Diesel around here in northern nevada is $4.00 to $4.25. Also has anyone been keeping a eye on the price of oil and gas lately. We could be paying $5.00 a gallon here in a month or so. Look at Natural gas, the pain to heat our homes is going to cost a bunch this winter. Just my two cents.

https://finviz.com/futures.ashx

OP
OP

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Try to find a station that caters to or sells a lot of diesel to commercial/fleet vehicles. They're usually cheaper and you'll get fresher diesel.
How do you find these? What about when traveling on the interstates? One reason for getting the ED is I have a lot of long runs (4-11 hours)

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Costco diesel has been great over the last year . Most local stations are .60 more and up to .70 more on premium
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Fuel Pricing - why so varied? 520D2DC7-1F0B-456F-8A4F-7EC4FDC4D930