Sponsored

Diesel engine any good?

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
In the case of the DPF, every manufacturer that I know of considers it to be a "wear item" because it is a "filter". Most will last into the low 100K range, but then have to be replaced. Since they are usually proprietary, there is only once place to buy them and (depending on the OEM) they are thousands, not hundreds of dollars. Add that little price tag onto your operational costs and the break-even point versus a gasoline engine moves out even further.
Their are companies that make aftermarket DPF's. It will take a few years for them to get to the Jeep.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Their are companies that make aftermarket DPF's. It will take a few years for them to get to the Jeep.
I hope for all of you diesel owners that it happens and that you have many miles of trouble free operation.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer gave a lifetime drivetrain on my Jeep that can be used at any Jeep dealer at no additional cost. .
Based upon what other Jeep diesel owners have posted, if that warranty covers the emissions systems you are indeed in a rare minority and it means that you should take every precaution not to have them void it.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
How will you do that without a PCM program to compensate? I have no horse in the race, but this seems to be too much BS in the quest for what?
You keep saying " I have no horse in the race " I suggest you do a little research and not the kind of someone said they know someone that said. You are writing things that are not true and a little time reading facts would help. I have run new diesels for years and own a shop that works on them daily. If a consumer takes the time to understand the system, how it works and what it needs to have to run trouble free they would not have issues.
Scaring people with falsehoods is wrong.
1 - "Most will last into the low 100K range". FALSE
2 - " usually proprietary, there is only once place to buy them" FALSE
3 - " It remained in a constant regen state due to the driving style" FALSE, could never happen.
Learn what your talking about before interjecting things as facts. If you have no horse in the race then stay off the track.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
My dealer gave a lifetime drivetrain on my Jeep that can be used at any Jeep dealer at no additional cost. .
For those on here who may not know, emissions components are not drivetrain components. It’s also worth reading the fine print about modifications in the extended warranty because it’s never surprising if a dealer says they won’t honor the warranty over larger than OEM tires or a non-mopar lift.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You keep saying " I have no horse in the race " I suggest you do a little research and not the kind of someone said they know someone that said. You are writing things that are not true and a little time reading facts would help. I have run new diesels for years and own a shop that works on them daily. If a consumer takes the time to understand the system, how it works and what it needs to have to run trouble free they would not have issues.
3 - " It remained in a constant regen state due to the driving style" FALSE, could never happen.
Learn what your talking about before interjecting things as facts. If you have no horse in the race then stay off the track.
I am not scaring ANYONE with falsehoods. There is nothing that I have said here that is not factual.
1. There have been plenty of examples of DPF units clogging before 100K miles and certainly after 100K
2. Really? Name one non-OEM maker of DPF unit for the FCA 3.0 diesel.
3. My 2015 Powerstroke 6.7L did this on multiple occasions and I have zero reason not to believe that it did not happen to my friend in Canada with his 3.0L FCA engine. Kindly tell me how you think that a constant regen will not happen if it never finishes? It will simply start again the next time the engine is at temperature and the PCM reads the soot levels on the DPF. If you are doing stop and go driving and not allowing it to complete, it will absolutely remain in a regen state.

No need to believe anything I said, just poke around on the ecodiesel and dieseljeep websites and the examples I gave are listed in different threads and plenty of likewise examples in the Dodge, Ford, and GM diesel forums.

At any rate, to each his or her own.

Last edited:

runjhike

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
Yea and they won’t even sell you an extended warranty on the EGR or DPF...should tell people all they need to know about those parts.
not correct on the EGR & DPF unless you mean MOPAR specifically won’t offer a warranty to cover it. I just picked mine up this week and got a 5/75 extended warranty that covers everything except wear items like brake pads. It is going to be warranty-provider specific.

ArielPR

First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

For a person who does not want or have a diesel, Mr. Carbonsteel talks a lot about them.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not correct on the EGR & DPF unless you mean MOPAR specifically won’t offer a warranty to cover it. I just picked mine up this week and got a 5/75 extended warranty that covers everything except wear items like brake pads. It is going to be warranty-provider specific.
Yea I was referencing the extended warranty offered by FCA. I’m sure there are other companies covering parts FCA doesn’t want to, but if the people who designed and tested the parts don’t want to back them for longer, I’d say that speaks volumes as to their experience with said parts.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For a person who does not want or have a diesel, Mr. Carbonsteel talks a lot about them.
Just passing on my experiences with modern diesels so that the unknowing gets a glimpse into what they will typically face. I have owned them and will not own another. There is a reason that a 3.6L is under the hood of my Rubicon and not a 3.0L and the cost difference has nothing to do with it.

The fact that FCA does not offer an extended warranty on the emissions and everyone's answer to the potential issues with the emissions is "just delete them" speaks volumes about the 3.0L and modern diesels in general.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
My dealer’s service told me that I can get bumper to bumper warranty coverage on the EGR and other emission related items. I forgot to confirm the DPF. Would be comforting to know that’s true as one less issue to worry about.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer’s service told me that I can get bumper to bumper warranty coverage on the EGR and other emission related items. I forgot to confirm the DPF. Would be comforting to know that’s true as one less issue to worry about.
For how much and for how long?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
There is a reason that a 3.6L is under the hood of my Rubicon and not a 3.0L and the cost difference has nothing to do with it.
Your profile says you have a '19. The 3.0L wasn't available in '19. Can't get a better reason than that. :like:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your profile says you have a '19. The 3.0L wasn't available in '19. Can't get a better reason than that. :like:
If I thought that a 3.0L diesel was better, I would have waited and bought a 2020, but it is not better, the use case does not match, I want nothing else to do with diesel emissions systems or the maintenance and that is why a 3.0L diesel is not in my Rubicon, not because it was not available in a 2019.
Sponsored