Sponsored

Diesel delete

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
I have a Jeep liberty with the diesel and to get rid of the egr before tunes were available, people used to unplug the MAF sensor to turn off the EGR and then used a code reader to clear the codes/CEL. Anything like that sensor on ECO 3.0 that might could be used?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Killdozer

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
I know they have the gen 3 ecodiesel in the ram for 2020 and they have been modifying them for a while now. So if the egr and def is removed it would allow for a larger factory or aftermarket tank for more range....hmmm

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
I know they have the gen 3 ecodiesel in the ram for 2020 and they have been modifying them for a while now. So if the egr and def is removed it would allow for a larger factory or aftermarket tank for more range....hmmm
or just get rid of that low lying def tank that will be prone to getting bashed by rocks.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have a Jeep liberty with the diesel and to get rid of the egr before tunes were available, people used to unplug the MAF sensor to turn off the EGR and then used a code reader to clear the codes/CEL. Anything like that sensor on ECO 3.0 that might could be used?
I never heard of unplugging the MAF but what a lot of us did do on the KJs with the diesel we would run what we called the "elephant hose mod". Basically, we'd take a section of heater hose or fuel line hose and redirect the fumes to the atmosphere instead of letting it go back into the engine...very similar to how diesels were in the "old days". Of course, in 2005 there was no such thing as DPF, SCR, DEF, etc. so modifying the engine was a lot easier to do. Those VM engines would last a long time with the EGR redirected.

And then GDE came along with their amazing tunes which made them into completely different vehicles. It was night and day different. Gosh I miss having GDE around for help.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
I never heard of unplugging the MAF but what a lot of us did do on the KJs with the diesel we would run what we called the "elephant hose mod". Basically, w8e'd take a section of heater hose or fuel line hose and redirect the fumes to the atmosphere instead of letting it go back into the engine...very similar to how diesels were in the "old days". Of course, in 2005 there was no such thing as DPF, SCR, DEF, etc. so modifying the engine was a lot easier to do. Those VM engines would last a long time with the EGR redirected.

And then GDE came along with their amazing tunes which made them into completely different vehicles. It was night and day different. Gosh I miss having GDE around for help.
Concur with all. The MAF unplugged was called the ORM or off-road mod because it was only legal off-road. I liked it because you could always plug it back in if required.

Sponsored

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
Same. Let me know if you hear anything from the diesel bros. I tried contacting them via email and phone and havent heard anything. Phone number has been changed too.
I doubt it'll be diesel bros who comes up with the kit. But I'll let you know as soon as I know something.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Concur with all. The MAF unplugged was called the ORM or off-road mod because it was only legal off-road. I liked it because you could always plug it back in if required.
You know, it's been ten years but the more I think of it, I do remember unplugging the MAF I believe. It was a discussion on the L.O.S.T. forums and lots of us did do that. Interesting...

So last week I removed the airbox on my Gen 3 EcoDiesel to see how everything was designed and worked, and when I put it back together I accidentally left the MAF unplugged. I got a check engine light of course, which cleared itself after 5 ignition cycles. BUT, while that CEL was on the truck drove completely differently. It sounded different, shifted different, everything was different.

So now I'm wondering, does unplugging the MAF on the EcoDiesel shut down the EGR system like it did on the older VM engines? Hmm..

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
You know, it's been ten years but the more I think of it, I do remember unplugging the MAF I believe. It was a discussion on the L.O.S.T. forums and lots of us did do that. Interesting...

So last week I removed the airbox on my Gen 3 EcoDiesel to see how everything was designed and worked, and when I put it back together I accidentally left the MAF unplugged. I got a check engine light of course, which cleared itself after 5 ignition cycles. BUT, while that CEL was on the truck drove completely differently. It sounded different, shifted different, everything was different.

So now I'm wondering, does unplugging the MAF on the EcoDiesel shut down the EGR system like it did on the older VM engines? Hmm..
Well I unplugged the MAF on the Gen 3 EcoDiesel and then when the CEL came on I plugged it back in. This puts the truck onto pre-set tables instead of relying on sensors and FCA's tuning. I'm not 100% certain but it probably disables EGR also. DRASTIC DIFFERENCE in driveability, power, throttle response, etc. It's like a totally different truck. After a few ignition cycles the CEL clears and the truck goes back to stock tuning and it falls on its face again.

This tells me that once aftermarket companies get time to write and field test tuning for this powertrain, it's going to be amazing. 500 lbs/ft of torque will be simple to attain, with crisp throttle response and smoother trans. shifts...all with a simple tune. I can't wait.

Bornabe

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Turbo EcoDiesel (Hellayella)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be disabling the EGR the moment I'm able to once I have mine. Hoping for a reversible approach so when we need service, etc... we can have that enabled temporarily. I'll also be regularly doing maintenance and cleaning to everything myself so issues are at a minimal. Lucky for me I drive mostly highway miles daily so that's a plus on a newer Diesel.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've never owned a diesel so this may be a very naive question: If one deletes all of the emissions gear, does the engine then emit that thick black smoke? Or...are the impacts more subtle?

Here in AZ, they emissions test every two years, after the vehicle is five years old. I used to ride a carbureted H-D. I'd bring a screwdriver with me, adjust the carb (and make my bike run like shit), then it would then pass, and I'd "retune" it after the test. Problem with the JL Diesel is it's more than a few turns of a screwdriver to reinstate and then reremove the equipment.

As a previous poster mentioned, more states will adopt emissions laws as time goes by.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I've never owned a diesel so this may be a very naive question: If one deletes all of the emissions gear, does the engine then emit that thick black smoke? Or...are the impacts more subtle?

Here in AZ, they emissions test every two years, after the vehicle is five years old. I used to ride a carbureted H-D. I'd bring a screwdriver with me, adjust the carb (and make my bike run like shit), then it would then pass, and I'd "retune" it after the test. Problem with the JL Diesel is it's more than a few turns of a screwdriver to reinstate and then reremove the equipment.

As a previous poster mentioned, more states will adopt emissions laws as time goes by.
Depends on whether the DPF is removed. Even if it is, the combustion efficiency of these newer diesels is such that you won’t get much in the way of thick smoke with regular driving.

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner

As far as i have gathered so far, they dont delete anything from the Jeep. It all stays in and you install "plates" that block the gases from re-entering the engine... That way it looks stock and testing passes with no issues... Lets see if this gets implemented and how successful it is
Sponsored