Diesel delete

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Okay, I wanted to throw this out there to get the dialog going, but it seems clear that everyone is wanting to do the EGR delete via tune or physically removing as well as removing the DEF. This is where it gets tricky though, so read along...

The worry everyone is having is having warranty claims denied because of making these modifications. That said, IF you were to be denied a warranty claim and were responsible for the cost of the repair, then couldnt you use Geico's MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) to fill this void? There would be a $250 deductible, but would seem to me that it would backstop you from having to pay any kind of crazy cost associated with a repair bill. Of course, you would have to read the fine print of the Geico MBI coverage, but assuming it would cover repair bills, I would think this would be an option to just go ahead and completely delete the troubling emissions crap. Obviously there are other concerns if you are in a state/county that does emissions testing, but many of us are not in those states/counties. Thoughts?

Advertisement

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Two thoughts:

1) I'm assuming the GEICO's adjusters are just a sophisticated as the Jeep mechanics and would notice the equipment delete.

2 I wonder how GEICO MBI handles a vehicle with continuing excessive repair bills? If I get into too many accidents, GEICO can raise rates or cancel coverage. What if I have too many repairs?

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Two thoughts:

1) I'm assuming the GEICO's adjusters are just a sophisticated as the Jeep mechanics and would notice the equipment delete.

2 I wonder how GEICO MBI handles a vehicle with continuing excessive repair bills? If I get into too many accidents, GEICO can raise rates or cancel coverage. What if I have too many repairs?
1) You're probably right. That and/or they would ask why I didnt seek coverage under the warranty at which point they would call the dealer and figure it out

2) Premium increase, non-renewal or cancel.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
2) Premium increase, non-renewal or cancel.
I've been a proponent of GEICO's MBI, but this seems to be the most obvious shortcoming - however I don't know how common this situation is. If you have something of a lemon, the extended warranty still covers it; GEICO can tell you to hit the road.

That said, GEICO's financial stability (as in, will they still be around) is light-years ahead of the warranty providers. Heck, some of the warranty providers may go belly up after the pandemic - including FCA. GEICO (Berkshire Hathaway) is a iron-clad battleship in comparison.

Last edited:

RELBUS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 21 JLUR 392
I am of the understanding any time something big goes wrong, they start digging. If they find evidence of modifications I am sure they would deny coverage. You play you pay.

Beowulf

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I started a separate thread on this, but this one looks like a good place to ask. If none of the laws change, can legally delete after 25years?

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement