Diesel delete

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Okay, I wanted to throw this out there to get the dialog going, but it seems clear that everyone is wanting to do the EGR delete via tune or physically removing as well as removing the DEF. This is where it gets tricky though, so read along...

The worry everyone is having is having warranty claims denied because of making these modifications. That said, IF you were to be denied a warranty claim and were responsible for the cost of the repair, then couldnt you use Geico's MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) to fill this void? There would be a $250 deductible, but would seem to me that it would backstop you from having to pay any kind of crazy cost associated with a repair bill. Of course, you would have to read the fine print of the Geico MBI coverage, but assuming it would cover repair bills, I would think this would be an option to just go ahead and completely delete the troubling emissions crap. Obviously there are other concerns if you are in a state/county that does emissions testing, but many of us are not in those states/counties. Thoughts?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Two thoughts:

1) I'm assuming the GEICO's adjusters are just a sophisticated as the Jeep mechanics and would notice the equipment delete.

2 I wonder how GEICO MBI handles a vehicle with continuing excessive repair bills? If I get into too many accidents, GEICO can raise rates or cancel coverage. What if I have too many repairs?

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Two thoughts:

1) I'm assuming the GEICO's adjusters are just a sophisticated as the Jeep mechanics and would notice the equipment delete.

2 I wonder how GEICO MBI handles a vehicle with continuing excessive repair bills? If I get into too many accidents, GEICO can raise rates or cancel coverage. What if I have too many repairs?
1) You're probably right. That and/or they would ask why I didnt seek coverage under the warranty at which point they would call the dealer and figure it out

2) Premium increase, non-renewal or cancel.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
2) Premium increase, non-renewal or cancel.
I've been a proponent of GEICO's MBI, but this seems to be the most obvious shortcoming - however I don't know how common this situation is. If you have something of a lemon, the extended warranty still covers it; GEICO can tell you to hit the road.

That said, GEICO's financial stability (as in, will they still be around) is light-years ahead of the warranty providers. Heck, some of the warranty providers may go belly up after the pandemic - including FCA. GEICO (Berkshire Hathaway) is a iron-clad battleship in comparison.

Last edited:

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I am of the understanding any time something big goes wrong, they start digging. If they find evidence of modifications I am sure they would deny coverage. You play you pay.

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I started a separate thread on this, but this one looks like a good place to ask. If none of the laws change, can legally delete after 25years?

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
An EGR delete is basically just adding a plate to block an EGR valve doing it's job.

Do we really need a "kit" and retune for that?

Seems it would be easy to create my own blocking plate. And is a retune really necessary after that?

Curious if the computer would notice. Possible, but I don't know.

I'm surprised this thread kinda went quiet. But i also know the EPA is actively preying on, and collecting their protection money, maybe that's why this has gone quiet?

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
An EGR delete is basically just adding a plate to block an EGR valve doing it's job.

Do we really need a "kit" and retune for that?

Seems it would be easy to create my own blocking plate. And is a retune really necessary after that?

Curious if the computer would notice. Possible, but I don't know.

I'm surprised this thread kinda went quiet. But i also know the EPA is actively preying on, and collecting their protection money, maybe that's why this has gone quiet?
There is a guy on the ram forums. Who bought a delete kit for the ram 1500, and pulled the connectors for the EGR valves. Said it worked fine, but it makes it so the remote start is no longer available. I asked the guy who makes the delete plates for the ram if they would fit the JL and he said no, but I’m skeptical of that.

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
There is a guy on the ram forums. Who bought a delete kit for the ram 1500, and pulled the connectors for the EGR valves. Said it worked fine, but it makes it so the remote start is no longer available. I asked the guy who makes the delete plates for the ram if they would fit the JL and he said no, but I’m skeptical of that.
Cool. Can't believe none on here had tried a plate in their JL/JT diesel. Probably have but maybe being quiet for a purpose. I'd be inclined to trace the flange pattern and cut my own plate.

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I’m no diesel expert or master tech so take what I say with a grain of salt. From my Duramax experience, One would either delete the EGR or use a blocker plate. I always went the blocker plate route. I believe with no tuning, you’re looking at some type of CEL. I either had to tune the truck or build a “finger stick” to tell the truck the EGR was still functioning. Then again this always been pre-DPF. I’d be all over an ED Wrangler if someone would be willing to sell deletes and tunes for them.

No, it’s illegal to remove emissions devices
This always cracks me up. How did we get here. :CWL:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel delete 1682974247063

Would you still get in trouble for a diesel delete if you live in an emissions free state in South Carolina.

Friends looking at a JTD, figured I'd ask for him here

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Would you still get in trouble for a diesel delete if you live in an emissions free state in South Carolina.

Friends looking at a JTD, figured I'd ask for him here
If said friend stayed in a diesel friendly state, they should be fine. If they ventured into enemy territory, there is potential for hassle...but it is very slim. One of the brown shirts here would also do whatever they could to find them and report them somehow.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
If said friend stayed in a diesel friendly state, they should be fine. If they ventured into enemy territory, there is potential for hassle...but it is very slim. One of the brown shirts here would also do whatever they could to find them and report them somehow.
So what if he were to visit me in Jersey and just cruised, never went WOT near cops and chilled, be all good?
I mean, going on vacation isnt moving there after all

*reread it, but not just gonna delete what I wrote. Awesome, gonna share it

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

So what if he were to visit me in Jersey and just cruised, never went WOT near cops and chilled, be all good?

I mean, going on vacation isnt moving there after all
It's about registration. If your friend ever moves to a state or county (depending on the granularity) with Emissions inspections or standards, you wouldn't be able to register the vehicle there. Where you go etc won't really matter so much. It may also hurt their ability to sell their vehicle down the road, for the same reason.
Sponsored