First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
My thought is it depends on how long your keeping it.
Battery tech will improve greatly and I would not want a elec vehicle that is ancient and that can happen real fast in this area.
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
if you ordered a Sport S, in my opinion, the mistake was not getting the Willys

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
With only 20 something miles of range, is there really any benefit even in the city? It really only benefits someone who drives just a few miles a week, and I can't see a jeep appealing to grandmas who just use their car to drive to the grocery store.
My wife daily drives her jlur 17 miles each way to work. Had the 4xe been available when we bought we definitely would have gone that direction. Plug it in each night and you’re only burning fuel for about 14 miles a day instead of 34. A standard 120v cord to the outdoor outlet at her work for her typical 8-10 hour day would give her enough range to use 0 fuel during the week. Add in the $10k in tax credits and it’s a no brainer to me. Some states and counties kick in even more. I’ve seen combined total incentives pushing $15k in some areas. Even if you see the hybrid as a minimal/ non-benefit you are getting a better optioned Jeep, with a higher resale value, for less. A sport S unlimited starts at $36k, a 4xe at $47. Odds are the 4xe comes standard with some of the options the OP added, closing the margin even further. Add in HOV access in many states and you are definitely money ahead going 4xe even if you never plug it in once.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My daily driving is under 10 miles, with once-a-month drives to the trails. So a 4xe would benefit someone like me in my daily driving.

But I am not paying a boatload of money upfront to save $100 a month in gas.
Unless you were buying a base model sport, with few to no options, you’d be paying less money up front. The $7,500 federal tax credit makes the 4xe a wash with most other models. Add in local/state incentives and it would be cheaper. If I were in the market for a new Sahara or Rubicon it wouldn’t even cross my mind not to go 4xe (unless of course I wanted to go 392, but that’s a different kind of beast).

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
if you ordered a Sport S, in my opinion, the mistake was not getting the Willys
What's the difference between the sport s and willys other than a blacked out grill and a sticker?

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

What's the difference between the sport s and willys other than a blacked out grill and a sticker?
they have rubicon shocks i believe. and beefier off road tires and rubi rock sliders.

most of the differences are things most people will be upgrading anyways lol.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The rear LSD is standard on Willys, optional on Sport S.

Willys also has rock rails, off-road tires and nicer bumpers.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Hard for anyone to tell without knowing how you plan to use your Jeep.

Plug-in hybrids make sense if you drive mostly in the city and do short trips every day —under 10 miles each way.

TFL reviewed the Rubicon 4xe: in their view, for off-road use it doesn’t make a lot of sense. The battery was dead the entire time they were on the trail; lugging around an extra 500 lbs in dead batteries made itself felt trying to go over obstacles.

4xe doesn’t offer fast charging. It takes 2.5 hours to recharge the batteries that can get you 20 miles. That is not a practical solution for the trail.
That doesn't make sense. The battery doesn't actually die. It just won't run in full EV mode.

The combined hybrid torque is always there.

I was on the trail over the weekend. Used esave to get there and spent a couple hours driving around in mostly silence. Motor was only kicking in trough deep sand.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Ah okay. Man I wish they'd give it Dana 44 axles front and back, then the willys would make a lot of sense. Like a rubicon without all the bells and whistles.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
My wife daily drives her jlur 17 miles each way to work. Had the 4xe been available when we bought we definitely would have gone that direction. Plug it in each night and you’re only burning fuel for about 14 miles a day instead of 34. A standard 120v cord to the outdoor outlet at her work for her typical 8-10 hour day would give her enough range to use 0 fuel during the week. Add in the $10k in tax credits and it’s a no brainer to me. Some states and counties kick in even more. I’ve seen combined total incentives pushing $15k in some areas. Even if you see the hybrid as a minimal/ non-benefit you are getting a better optioned Jeep, with a higher resale value, for less. A sport S unlimited starts at $36k, a 4xe at $47. Odds are the 4xe comes standard with some of the options the OP added, closing the margin even further. Add in HOV access in many states and you are definitely money ahead going 4xe even if you never plug it in once.
10k in tax credits? 15k? I already ordered mine but I was only aware of 7.5k tax credit and then some states/locals doing a bit more (like CA 1500$). Can you elaborate?

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Ah okay. Man I wish they'd give it Dana 44 axles front and back, then the willys would make a lot of sense. Like a rubicon without all the bells and whistles.
A decently equipped 4xe rubicon comes to $55k on the Jeep.com configurator. Drop $10k in tax incentives an you’re looking at $45k. Not knowing the particulars of your sport S order, a basic build with an automatic transmission is pushing $42-48k playing around with the options. The 4xe rubicon is one hell of a free upgrade over a sport s right now.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
10k in tax credits? 15k? I already ordered mine but I was only aware of 7.5k tax credit and then some states/locals doing a bit more (like CA 1500$). Can you elaborate?
$7,500 fed, some states were offering as high as $2,500. I came across a few counties that were giving rebates as high as $1,500. Others were offering subsidies for installing ev chargers in your home. Getting fully to $15k would be a stretch, but $9-11k should be pretty easy with some smart shopping. Add in the hidden savings. Here in CA for instance, any vehicle with a combined mpg under 22 has to pay a gas guzzler tax at the dealer. There goes another $1k to $7k(392) you’ll be paying depending on model that doesn’t apply to the 4xe. The numbers are just too close after discounts in my opinion.

edit, quick search shows Texas had a $2,500 rebate that may have expired in January.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
A decently equipped 4xe rubicon comes to $55k on the Jeep.com configurator. Drop $10k in tax incentives an you’re looking at $45k. Not knowing the particulars of your sport S order, a basic build with an automatic transmission is pushing $42-48k playing around with the options. The 4xe rubicon is one hell of a free upgrade over a sport s right now.
I think mine came out around 41k with a ton of upgrades, but I'm not at all interested in a 4xe. Between the insane maintenance cost, problems and deficiencies with current electric vehicle tech, and just feeling like I'd be driving a castrated jeep, I'd never go for one personally. Maybe once the technology advances to the point where all electric vehicles can recharge in minutes and get better range, then I'd consider something electric, but until then I'll be perfectly happy with my normal 3.6L.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think mine came out around 41k with a ton of upgrades, but I'm not at all interested in a 4xe. Between the insane maintenance cost, problems and deficiencies with current electric vehicle tech, and just feeling like I'd be driving a castrated jeep, I'd never go for one personally. Maybe once the technology advances to the point where all electric vehicles can recharge in minutes and get better range, then I'd consider something electric, but until then I'll be perfectly happy with my normal 3.6L.
Maintenance cost? The electric system requires 0 Maintenance and carries an 80-100k mile warranty vs the 36k miles on the 3.6L. Castrated? It has more hp and torque than the 3.6L. It seems like people have no idea how a plug in hybrid works. It never HAS to be plugged in. Regenerative braking alone will keep enough charge in it in order for you to use the added benefit of the electric motors output. The 2.0t alone makes more hp and torque from 2k rpms all the way to 5600. The 3.6 has higher peak hp...all the way out at 6k rpms which your jeep will likely rarely see. Add in the electric motors ~105hp and 175 ftlbs at ANY rpms and the 4xe wins in every category from fuel economy to crawling ability to 0-60 time. The extra 500 lbs is the only drawback I see.
Sponsored